Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Power Steering Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Power Steering Issue

Was driving home the other night and upon going to make my turn, had very heavy steering. I made it home, and went to check under the hood. Upon inspection I noticed that my power steering belt was split down one of the ribs. I did notice a very faint chirp/squeak while out and about. I just had my belts replaced barely a year ago. I did go ahead and cut the belt off for fear that it would snap and take out the accessory belt while driving, and cause a much bigger issue. I can deal with not having power steering for a while, that's not a big deal. I did go up to the parts store to order a new belt, and while talking to him he suggested checking for any play in the pulley itself. When I got home I checked it and sure enough there is a few mm of play in the pulley. I'm now looking at possible PS pump replacement, which I do not want to do. Has anyone had this issue with their car? Anyone have any other possible problems it could be other than the obvious loose/over tightened belt? The xB has 108,000 on the clock. Oh and one last question. If I forego replacing the belt, and just deal with no power steering, with that put added stress/increased wear on the steering rack itself? Sorry for being so long winded, this really isn't an area I'm well versed in. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Are you lowered? I ask this because I am dropped quite a bit and my PS belt is rubbing on my axle.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2011, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes I am lowered on Tanabe DF210's. Never thought about that being a problem, but will look into that once it warms up. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Apocalypse
SL Member

Probably only a problem if you are on air as you can get low enough to touch the PS. DF's your good. It could just be a bad shaft on the PS pump, although Ive never heard of it (unlike a water pump).

Running no PS wont hurt anything except your arms from turning without it