Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Question about cost to swap rims and springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Question about cost to swap rims and springs

So I have a set of aftermarket rims that I simply want to swap out, keeping the factory tires along with a set of Danabe springs I want to swap out at the same time.

I'm not about to do this myself, I just don't want to.

Anyways, I called a couple places, including the dealer, and they are estimating about $650-700 to do this. They are saying it's like $70 or so for the wheels and balencing of the tires, which is fine, but the cost of installing the springs seems a bit high. I've read the how to guide here and it seems like they would be doing a lot more than they would need to. A local garage said it would take about 8 hours, including taking something apart in the rear or whatever.

Does this seem like it is costing more than it should? I'm hoping to go somewhere this weekend and have the job done.

Thanks.

Oh, and if anyone knows any shops around Raleigh, NC...that would rock.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update: I just called a shop that focuses on imports and they quoted me about $350 for the installation and $90 for alignment once it's done. That seems much more like what I expected.

They are called Phantasm Motorsports and they are right here in Raleigh.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I honestly would do it yourself it really is as simple as people make it, just a few tools some time and maybe a friend to double check each other. Don't pay more than 350 or your crazy honestly it took and hour and 15 minutes and I was in no hurry
Old 04-06-2006, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would say have the rims put on by a tire place, that way you can get them to balance them for you and see if there are any people with xB's near you that can either help or put the springs on for you. Make sure if you do find some one around you to do the springs they have done a set or two and this isnt there first time. $350 isnt a bad price, if you cant find somone around you to put them in and thats your last resort, then pay for it.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

$350 is insane for how long it actually takes.

Took me less than 2 hours.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hayalex6
$350 is insane for how long it actually takes.

Took me less than 2 hours.
It's an insane price for somone who does stuff themselves like you and I, but he dosent want to, so it's not that bad, compared to $700 he was quoted in the first post. You figure it took you two hours to do yours, thats $ 175 dollars an hour, which is a bit high, but im sure they quoted him 4 hours and thats $88 an hour which isn't to bad. I charge $70 an hour for car audio work.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They did figure it was about 4 hours worth of work. I realize so many of ou say "do it yourself."

I'm not a gear head, and not about to mess with the car. Maybe if I had a friend or 2 that had a clue I'd give it a try, but my friends are all car rejects and barely know how to change their oil.

I'd rather leave it in the hands of pros.

I'll be sure to print up the How to Guide from here and take that to the installer and see what they think.

I know they told me they figured it would be about a 4 hour job. They specialize in imports, mostly Hondas and such. If they can get it done sooner and charge less...fantastic.

This is the place by the way:

http://www.phantasmusa.com

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

It is NOT A 4 HOUR JOB!

And for a shop to tell you this is a bad sign.

Look around some more for a shop, or even post p in the regional forums to see if someone's local who'll help you out.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does the 4 hours quoted for the job include : 4 springs, mounting and balancing of tires and an alignment?
Old 04-07-2006, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think he meant 4 hours for the springs. Because I told him that the dealer and the other shop said it would take all day to do the springs because it would require taking something apart in the rear.

He was quick to say that it wouldn't take that long. He said "the springs should take around 4 hours"

So I'm guessing that he didn't mean 4 hours total for the whole thing. These guys do a lot of import cars and they are always at the local shows so I have a pretty good feeling they know what they are doing and aren't just some crap quickie in and out shop.

But thanks for the info. I just think the other places that want more like $700 are probably charging more an hour than these guys who specialize in imports and aren't just out to rape everyone like the dealer is and a chain kinda shop.

I'm going to them next Monday, so I'll post pics and my thoughts about the process afterwards.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

dude dont let them rip you off.... find someone with an xB in your area that has done it... ive done about 6 xB's now and i can swap springs and shocks/struts in about 45 minutes.... it is very very very simple you could easily DIY also with the help of a friend
Old 04-07-2006, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya, I know I could "easily" do it myself...but I could also "easily" screw something up and kick myself for trying. I'm totally not the type to mess with mechanics, even if it's something people say is "so easy you can do it yourself."

I wish I was more prolific when it comes to monkeying around with the cars I drive, but I'm not.

Trust me, if you knew me...you'd be telling me to go to a shop too.

I'm pretty sure these guys at the Phantasm shop know their stuff and they know they can do it pretty easily so they gave me a lower quote than the places who had to check on a computer and get some standard jacked up price.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That price the shop gave you is not that bad..about average for springs, I think. The only part that seems weird to me was them telling you it will take 4 hours because of something needing to be taken apart in the rear. I did my springs, and the rear literally took about 15 minutes. Rear springs on this car is a case of jacking it up, removing one bolt, swapping the springs. Bolt back in. lower the jack. Done.
I understand shops quoting people more time than something really takes, since they usually have guidebooks that tell them allowable time charges based on the job they intend to do- and usually have more things going on than they have people to do it. If they just quoted you 4 hours time and left it at that, it's okay- but if they quote you 4 hours time and give some bulltish story about taking apart the rear or something...Then I would worry. Now 4 hours for springs AND an alignment--thats not bad at all.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, just so everyone knows where I'm coming from...tonight I was puting some shelving up in our pantry and even that took me an hour.

Now you know why I'm not even about to get under a vehicle and start messing with all that!
Old 04-08-2006, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Helped put lowering springs on this past weekend....No big deal...3 hours, primative tools...LOL....Now, this is after the trusted local mechanic said "why would you wanna replace the springs on a new car?"
Old 04-08-2006, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bubble2Box
Helped put lowering springs on this past weekend....No big deal...3 hours, primative tools...LOL....Now, this is after the trusted local mechanic said "why would you wanna replace the springs on a new car?"
That's funny!

That's why I'm not taking it to some chain place like Monroe or whatever. I'm taking it to a shop that specializes in making street racers and show cars. They know what the point of lowering springs is.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

yet they overcharge you by $200
Old 04-09-2006, 08:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

What you need is to join a club, say like Scion Evolution. We normally
have an install day every couple of months. Last month three of us
got togather and installed one of our members springs in about 45
minutes, and all it cost him was the beer and BBQ. We acually made
him unwrap everything and hand us the tools, but nothing technical.
The springs are a straight forward job and I have not heard of anything
going wrong with an installation. As for the tires, there you will probably
want it done by experts.