Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Scion xA/xB Rear Disc Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Slopoke21m
Well theyre officially done...and kids dont try this at home. Not a damn thing fit the way it was supposed to. All I had left to do was hook up the E-brake and put the dust shields on behind the rotors. Still working with all the parts off a 80somthing GT-S coupe the brake cables were a pain to get to work, but after fabbing a bracket and routing the cables they finally worked. And the dust shields that I thought would just bolt in placed, required some severe reworking. But alas....hopefully I can say the 1st xB in the US (if not the only) that has 4 wheel disk brakes with a working e-brake. Oh well even if not I like the look, but wouldnt do it again....so the wifeys xA is stuck with drums.... See Ya, Louie
Old 06-01-2004, 03:35 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Scionic
How's the brake feel now that you have 4-discs? Think you'll have any probs with the master cylinder not being proportionate?
Old 06-01-2004, 03:36 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Slopoke21m
They feel great, just like stock. The proportioning seems to be OK. I figured that maybe the ABS would compensate for any differences, it seems to be just fine. Stops pretty good. See Ya, Louie
Old 02-13-2005, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Re: For those that are willing to spend $988...

Originally Posted by YupYup
Click on the scroll down menu & check it out:

http://highonscion.com/chassisProducts.htm

Does anyone have this? If so, how about a review? Thx!
thanx for the info i will have to check these out
Old 05-21-2005, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member

Can anyone get any info on the Highonscion.com page?
Old 11-16-2005, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member

Did u ever try using the e-brake cable from the Toyota Corolla and see how that works
Old 11-16-2005, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had thought of this a week or two ago, but not wanting to mess with a perportioning valve and such, I decided against even thinking it! Good job on it....But, I have to ask....What about the perportionong valve....AND the anti-lock brake system? I would be SCARED TO DEATH wondering if I didn't make myself a DEATHTRAP!
I am not flaming you by ANY means...but I gave up on the idea for my safety, not my inability. Could you fill us in on these things?
Old 12-25-2005, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

please make and sell me another set of brackets and include a parts needed list
Old 12-25-2005, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by x_rayted711
I had thought of this a week or two ago, but not wanting to mess with a perportioning valve and such, I decided against even thinking it! Good job on it....But, I have to ask....What about the perportionong valve....AND the anti-lock brake system? I would be SCARED TO DEATH wondering if I didn't make myself a DEATHTRAP!
I am not flaming you by ANY means...but I gave up on the idea for my safety, not my inability. Could you fill us in on these things?
having extra rear brake would make driving odd but would not be unsafe after a few short trips worth of familiarization.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ I didn't see it anywhere, but does doing this mess up the ABS, Traction control, Stability Control...Etc.?
Old 12-26-2005, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

it wouldnt mess with stability or trac. could mess with abs tho.

the abs unit would be working out of it's normal operating range. but if u were to use a proportioning valve it should be fine.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just a thought, but when I was into drag racing, the choice, if possible, was drum brakes because the disk brakes are always in contact with the rotor where as the drum brakes were not touching the drum. Is this true? By retrofitting rear disks, are we adding (although slight) more drag to the car?
Old 12-27-2005, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by x_rayted711
Just a thought, but when I was into drag racing, the choice, if possible, was drum brakes because the disk brakes are always in contact with the rotor where as the drum brakes were not touching the drum. Is this true? By retrofitting rear disks, are we adding (although slight) more drag to the car?
I don't think it would drag the car down to a apoint where it would adveresly affect the performance of the car but you are adding more stopping power. I always say "you give little , you take a little"
Old 12-27-2005, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

drums provide better static grip at the line in drags (in case you wanted to hold the brake pedal and spool a turbo or leave at a certain rpm) Drums also usually use a residual valve that holds a little pressure in the lines to overcome the return springs (helps them react faster, similar to the discs). If a car has this valve and you convert to disc, it will hold the pads against the rotor slightly. Not sure if the scions use them or not, though.

discs usually slip under the drag racing conditions listed above, but are better for high-temp (speed+duration) stopping, like a road course (or NJ highways...)
Old 01-26-2006, 01:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You definitely get an "A" for effort... but I would say this modification is mainly looks... I know Disc brakes are better stopping power under certain conditions, etc. But most of your stopping power is in your front brakes obviously, the rears work for balance.
And whoever said that the brake pads are touching slightly at all times needs to NOT believe everything s/he hears
Old 01-26-2006, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ I am the one who said the pads are 'always' making contact with the rotor. This was embedded into my brain from my drag racing buddies...and you know what? I just did a quick search and found that they DO always touch.
So, maybe I can believe some of what I hear? Unless someone explains to me otherwise, I'll have to stand my ground on this one. Check it out for yourself! There is no mechanical device built into a brake system that pushes the pad away from the rotor after you take your foot off the pedal. I read numerous forums and they ALL say the same thing...the pads DO stay in contact with the rotor.
As far as any major 'drag' from this, well, that has been answered in this thread as well. It isn't enough to worry about.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they shouldnt, think about it... if theyre always in contact, then theyll wear out super quickly... anyway... try slipping a piece of paper between your pads and rotors (when theyre cooled of course) see what happens
Old 01-26-2006, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Drums have springs that pull them back away from the drum slightly. It was never said that there was 'major' pressure on them, just a little parasitic drag from them rubbing on the rotors. Like I said...Do a google search for it...you'll find it's more common than you think.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:06 PM
chi
5 Year Member

yes i will stay with x_rayted on this one as well,,, I guess u have never changed a set of pads on disc brakes? why else would u have to push the piston back in the caliper for the pads to fit back on the rotor? It is true...
Old 05-02-2006, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default question

hey question, when you did your disc conversion, where did you get the caliper mounting brackets from?

Quick Reply: Scion xA/xB Rear Disc Conversion