Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Smoother ride found, and it's not the springs.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

*Goes to order the Monroes.

I'm going to order the shocks only, will update when I get them on.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just to note, money-back guarantee and the rebate promotion only apply when you buy all 4.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

thanks for the write up, sounds like a good option ^_^. are the rear shocks shorter than the stock ones? if so these might be good for people with airride (hopefully me soon)
Old 10-03-2005, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ill try and see if i can measure the tube length without taking it out..

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...asc&highlight=
some folks there used monroe shocks for their airride. the part number is slightly different though.. im gonna hafta look into that..
Old 10-03-2005, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

thanks for the post man! so the monroe shocks ARE the NAPA shocks. I thought that NAPA made the shocks, turns out that they carry the Monroe shocks. You say the ones u bought are a different part number? #5870 ?
Old 10-03-2005, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

These are the cars that the 5870 is rated for:
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductG...mfrname=Monroe

the 5987 is specifically for the Echo
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductG...mfrname=Monroe

theres a pdf listing the specs on the shocks, but 5987 is not on there:
http://www.monroe.com/pdf/ShockAbsor...sionCharts.pdf

edit: i suspect that the 5987s are an updated version with this "safe-tech" system
http://www.euroauto-bgd.com/safe-teche.htm
Old 10-04-2005, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

thanks for the info
Old 10-04-2005, 03:47 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Anyone have any adverse effects from lowering springs and soft shocks? I would anticipate bottoming out or hitting on a hard bump. I am a little worried. While the roads around here suck real bad, I would rather be jolted around than lose some ground effects...
Old 10-19-2005, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi guys, interesting thread you have going on here. I'm in the market of getting my whole suspension replaced. I own a 04 Xb with all stock suspension. I was doing some research and I ran across a set of Koni adjustables. I'm settled with getting these, but not sure on springs. I would just like to get all koni springs, struts and shocks all around. I'm not really concern on the feel of the drive, but more on the stance, cornering, and the convenience to adjust the height when needed. I'm riding on 18"s and would like to get a 2" drop all around. Then when the crappy weather comes around adjust the height. Would this set up be ok or at least better then the stock set up? When they say adjustables do they mean I can adjust the height from 2" to 3" (as an example)? How do you adjust these? From underneath the car?

Sorry I'm a noob to this
Old 10-19-2005, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've heard that the trd springs are stiff- what do you Expect ( Toyota RACING - for racing- technology- If you use the trd shocks and struts with some gold lines I heard the ride is pretty soft. The trd shocks and struts were made for lowering so this is not a bad middle ground if you don't want to go with the 600 buck konis.

The trd shocks and struts can be found on scion people parts for 300 shipped. Not too bad....hook those up with some gold lines or something similar and your ride will ride a lot better on 18's or 17's... exspecially if you go with a 17 with a 45 series tire-[/b]
Old 10-19-2005, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DSMing91
Hi guys, interesting thread you have going on here. I'm in the market of getting my whole suspension replaced. I own a 04 Xb with all stock suspension. I was doing some research and I ran across a set of Koni adjustables. I'm settled with getting these, but not sure on springs. I would just like to get all koni springs, struts and shocks all around. I'm not really concern on the feel of the drive, but more on the stance, cornering, and the convenience to adjust the height when needed. I'm riding on 18"s and would like to get a 2" drop all around. Then when the crappy weather comes around adjust the height. Would this set up be ok or at least better then the stock set up? When they say adjustables do they mean I can adjust the height from 2" to 3" (as an example)? How do you adjust these? From underneath the car?

Sorry I'm a noob to this
i have not heard of koni springs. and the konis are not "height" adjustable, only rebound adjustable. sounds to me like you want something along the lines of tein ss-p coilovers.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the reply, Bgnome. Man if that's the case then I was way off

Thanks to everyone else.

I'll have to look more into this.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:55 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Attention everyone: After waiting for two weeks after my shocks had "shipped" from shockwarehouse.com, I gave them a call. Their story was as follows: The shocks were shipped directly from Monroe's warehouse in CA. They got damaged in transit (I won't go into how much UPS sucks) and were returned by UPS. They sat at Monroe and no one knew what they were until I called. Then they say they will ship out a set immediately. I say I want them overnighted so I can put them on before this weekend. Five minutes later, they are out of stock and will be until December, no shocks for me. Somehow I don't believe their story, but that doesn't matter, I'm getting my money back.

Needless to say, I will not be using shockwarehouse.com again, but the problem really resides with Monroe.

So I called some local shops. The fifth one I tried (Carquest) will have a set of Gabriels ready for me by 7:00 am tomorrow. The price... a little more at $49.99 apiece. I'll have them on tomorrow and will report on the ride. I got the rears only.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just found this technical link comparing Monroe shocks to Bilsteins and Konis on a VW. It graphically shows why the Koni's are so comfy yet controlled (and how they can be set at "race stiff" in rebound if need be). Assuming the graphs would be similar for the Scion shocks, the Monroes should be more comfortable than the stock rear KYB, but not as comfortable or controlled as the Koni.

http://forums.thecarlounge.net/zerothread?id=2011200
Old 10-27-2005, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

jomo... the only problem is there's no indication that the monroes tested were the sensa-tracs (unless I missed something while skimming the article). He mentions they are VW oem shocks... Are the VW oem shocks sensatracs?
Old 10-28-2005, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chimmy3
jomo... the only problem is there's no indication that the monroes tested were the sensa-tracs (unless I missed something while skimming the article). He mentions they are VW oem shocks... Are the VW oem shocks sensatracs?
Yeah, I noticed that as well.

I have heard that Sensatracs are used in a number of OEM applications (from Ford to VW), but, I doubt you will find any confirmation of this, just hear say.

I guess what I was trying to get at is that Monroe (Sensatrac or other Monroe) is a reasonably priced, good performing shock that is a worthy OEM replacement. Especially when price is right and the Scion KYB's are so darn harsh.

Konis are at a different level of sophistication. These are among the best shocks available to the consumer. Put them on a Mercedes, BMW, Lexus......and they improve the ride and/or handling. That's why they command the $$$.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member

I've been meaning to perform this upgrade for awhile and am just now able to dig up the link and post my review.

I ordered the rear KONI Sport adjustable dampers and installed them on my xA over the holiday weekend. I installed Hotchkis lowering springs and wheel/tire package over the summer and was eager to remove some of the harshness from the ride. While I love the lowered look and more planted driving feel of the springs, the lack of spring travel tightned up the chassis. Less than twenty minutes to install. I set the dampers on 1/2 turn from full soft. They rock! All of the nervousness from the shortned wheelbase has been eliminated and most of the jarring is now gone. I just wanted to reinforce what has been said from others. This is a great upgrade and now my ride is excellent (not that it was too bad before but now is much more smooth). The STB, rear sway, wheel/tire package, lowering springs and now the KONI dampers make this car perfect.

One other thought...I removed the stock shock and pushed on the strut. It depressed with very little effort. The stock shock seems to be a weak product with little damping capability.

I highly recommend this upgrade, especially for those that drive on less than perfect roads or complain about bumps, expansion joints of vehicle nervousness. It should also help for those that have increased wheel/tire size and are complaining about a harsh ride.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Is the handling ability increased as well?
Old 01-02-2006, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Today, just installed the Monroe sensatrac shocks #5987 for the 2000-2002 Echo. (same length as stock) from NAPA. A noticeable improvement. Now the front and rear seem matched, rather than the back being stiffer than the front. Cost $32 each, but definitely worth it. My corner carving days are over, and just wanted a little easier ride.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bgnome
monroe sensatrac shocks and struts... Results: So far, a MUCH smoother ride than stock....
I want to get softer shocks, in the rear at least.
Do the SensaTrac shocks or struts have steel or rubber dust covers? I recently had SensaTrac shocks installed on my Mazda truck, and the rear shocks had rubber bellows dust covers or boots, held on by plastic ties. One boot had been damaged in the box, and the shop could not get another boot alone, so they took the boot off the display shock in their office! I would prefer a shock with a metal dust cover.

Quick Reply: Smoother ride found, and it's not the springs.......