Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

STRUT BAR HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default STRUT BAR HELP!!!

Ok, so I plan on getting an upper strut bar for my xA, either the DC sports or the Tanabe. But before I go out and do the purchase, I heard that installing a front strut bar will increase understeer and that the I'd have to balance it out with a thicker rear sway bar. Is this true? I want close to neutral handling as possible. I also read somewhere that I should just forget about the strut bar and add a rear sway bar only and that would be good enough for almost neutral handling. input?
Old 07-15-2005, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The firewall is so close to the strut towers on these cars that a strut tower does not do much except look cool.
I don't see how it could hurt anything though.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 07-19-2005, 10:00 AM
Banned
SL Member

i dc sports front strut bar and a soon as i put it on i definitely felt the differance in cornering! now i have a lot or more differant suspension work and cornering is even better check the profile
Old 07-19-2005, 02:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: STRUT BAR HELP!!!

Originally Posted by gnar-de-gwar
Ok, so I plan on getting an upper strut bar for my xA, either the DC sports or the Tanabe. But before I go out and do the purchase, I heard that installing a front strut bar will increase understeer and that the I'd have to balance it out with a thicker rear sway bar. Is this true? I want close to neutral handling as possible. I also read somewhere that I should just forget about the strut bar and add a rear sway bar only and that would be good enough for almost neutral handling. input?
i would like to know tht as welll
Old 07-19-2005, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I've had the DC Sports strut bar for a couple days, and I only notice a difference when cornering at ludicrous speeds. It is a little more stable, not too much, but enough to notice a change. At light speed or ridiculous speeds, cant notice any difference. I also have tein s-tech springs, if that makes any difference....

(Just got done watching "Spaceballs")

It also looks sweet, especially if your xA is phantom grey, matches pretty well.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:36 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Brace

The strut brace won't hurt anything, but the benefit is really small. Sway bars will do more to stabilize the ride. Here's a little info.

http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...1&parts_id=478

Ken
www.trdsparks.com
Old 07-19-2005, 05:54 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by FrankenScion
The firewall is so close to the strut towers on these cars that a strut tower does not do much except look cool.
I've been saying the same thing for I don't know how long now. At least for the last 20 months. Peeps always say I'm wrong and that I'm no expert. I'm not an expert, but I know what works and I slept at a Holiday Inn last night.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Signature Visions
SL Member

Originally Posted by squirrel
I've been saying the same thing for I don't know how long now. At least for the last 20 months. Peeps always say I'm wrong and that I'm no expert. I'm not an expert, but I know what works and I slept at a Holiday Inn last night.

you can lead a person to knowlege but you cant make him think... or something like that haha

people only hear what they want to hear. or maybe their mind over matter syndrome make them believe they are right and it makes your car handle so much better

back on topic:

if you want your car to handle more neutral, from what i gather the progress rear sway bar (www.partshippers.com) will do the trick in creating a bit more oversteer to counter the understeer built in to cars. the strut bar wont do diddly but look good as stated above.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:20 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by eXciteBox
Originally Posted by squirrel

you can lead a person to knowlege but you cant make him think... or something like that haha

people only hear what they want to hear. or maybe their mind over matter syndrome make them believe they are right and it makes your car handle so much better

back on topic:

if you want your car to handle more neutral, from what i gather the progress rear sway bar (www.partshippers.com) will do the trick in creating a bit more oversteer to counter the understeer built in to cars. the strut bar wont do diddly but look good as stated above.
^^^Yup, the Progress rear bar will improve handling and greatly reduce understeer that is not driver induced.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks guys for the help, im gonna save my money and NOT get one, and thanks for mentioning the progress rear sway bar too!
Old 07-20-2005, 09:45 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

yeah, thanks for the posts, much needed info
Old 07-22-2005, 01:44 PM
Banned
SL Member

of course someone trys to sell u some sway bars when you post about strut bars
Old 07-22-2005, 02:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Signature Visions
SL Member

he wanted to know how to make his car handle better. we told him the strut bar was useless and sway bars is what he needed.

for the money you would WASTE on a strut bar you can get a progress bar and actually make your car handle much better.