Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Tanabe S-0C coils or springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 10:19 PM
SL Member

Default Tanabe S-0C coils or springs

Hey guys
I do DD on my xb i like to do some simple mods to it. I caught between getting the spring/strut combo or the Tanabe S-0C coils. I would like it to be comfortable cuz i do drive quite awhile to work. Does anyone have pictures of their xb with S-0C coils installed?
heres the specs of the coils
http://www.tanabe-usa.com/s0c.asp?id=6
thanks for the help guys
Old 06-09-2009, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

The spring isn't the only thing you should be concernd about if you're looking for comfort. No matter what brand of spring you go with, If you're going with springs I'd recomend some good shocks too.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:04 PM
SL Member

I understand somewhat that springs on stock shocks would wear out the shocks a lil faster but does it matter that much though? I mean if thats the case shouldn't the coilovers be a better option?
Old 06-10-2009, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

If you are eventually looking to bag it, coilovers are a good step in that direction. However, if you are looking to get a more agressive stance with a solid ride, you shouldn't have a need for coilovers really. Running springs with the stock shocks will definitely wear out fast and you will be able to feel a huge improvement on aftermarket. Also, some Energy bushings will help greatly as well.

In total, I paid a little over $650 for the df210 springs. konis, and energy bushings. The coilovers by themselves is about $900. For the same difference you can go up to bags. From what I've seen though, the ride is better on coil/springs or bags... I haven't found a decent ride with coilovers yet.

If you do go with springs, I'd recommend looking at the DF210s since they have a progressive coil rather than static.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

Koni is known to be a better Shock than what most coilovers come with. So a good spring like the Tanabe and the Koni shocks would be an ideal setup. An odd thing I noticed is that after I got the Energy Bushings I noticed that not only did the xB handle better but the ride was actually better too!
Old 06-12-2009, 09:08 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by spr0k3t
If you are eventually looking to bag it, coilovers are a good step in that direction. However, if you are looking to get a more agressive stance with a solid ride, you shouldn't have a need for coilovers really. Running springs with the stock shocks will definitely wear out fast and you will be able to feel a huge improvement on aftermarket. Also, some Energy bushings will help greatly as well.

In total, I paid a little over $650 for the df210 springs. konis, and energy bushings. The coilovers by themselves is about $900. For the same difference you can go up to bags. From what I've seen though, the ride is better on coil/springs or bags... I haven't found a decent ride with coilovers yet.

If you do go with springs, I'd recommend looking at the DF210s since they have a progressive coil rather than static.
Hmm thanks for all the info it was very helpful ill definitely consider the spring/strut now. Also where did you buy all your parts from?
Old 06-12-2009, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

Springs: tehBay
Shocks/Struts: Tirerack.com (had a 10% repeat customer coupon)
Bushings: KCTrends.com (local custom shop)

If you go the route of tanabe+koni+bushings and add a front/rear swaybar... the b will be extremely planted and it will have a fantastic ride quality about it you find in high end eurolux type cars. I've all but diminished the oversteer on my b down to zilch. When I turn the wheel, there is no sidways travel or rolling. Normal driving feels better than stock with the upgraded shocks/struts.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:59 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by spr0k3t
Springs: tehBay
Shocks/Struts: Tirerack.com (had a 10% repeat customer coupon)
Bushings: KCTrends.com (local custom shop)

If you go the route of tanabe+koni+bushings and add a front/rear swaybar... the b will be extremely planted and it will have a fantastic ride quality about it you find in high end eurolux type cars. I've all but diminished the oversteer on my b down to zilch. When I turn the wheel, there is no sidways travel or rolling. Normal driving feels better than stock with the upgraded shocks/struts.
cool thanks for alll the info i really appreciated.