Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

TRD Rear Frame Brace

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRD Rear Frame Brace

Does anyone know how i could purchase the JDM TRD rear frame brace? I know hornetontheflower had one, but i dont know how he got it or where i could purchase one from and i need it....BAD.
Thanks
Old 01-19-2007, 09:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Why would you need it bad? It can't do much if anything.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well actually in my case it will do a lot.
I have already performed a lot of weight reduction on my vehicle, and one of the final pieces i need to remove are two steel reinforments which essentially tie the floor to the rear seat area under teh carpet.
...Seeing how these pieces are very heavy in comparison to ANY underbody brace, and essentially perform the same task, it makes no sense to keep them. Not to mention, an OEM reinforcement is not going to provide nearly as much stiffness and ridgidness as an aftermarket braces specifically designed for cornering.
We have unibodys which simply suck as far as twist under sever cornering, high speed or not, and no matter what kind of racing/ driving you are doing, there is always room for improvement.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the rear frame brace actually relys on those supports to provide the support required...removing them is not the best idea...

the weight saved will be negated by the brace weight. it is 7 parts of steel. cutting 2 small parts to put 7 medium size parts in, is not gonna save you weight.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

what she said ^

seems like complete waste of time to save 3lbs.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there is no way that the two steel braces up top could provide that type of balance which an underframe brace woul rely on. In essence, thoe two upper supports are simply a porrly designed rear strut bar. It ties the upper boddy to the lower portion of the floor. By installing a rear strut bar you would actually be completely enhancing what any of those lttle braces cuold do on there own. in my book there useless.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

im pretty sure toyota knows what they are doing. keep the braces and just add to them.

losing weight out of the car is not as important as where and what you remove.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok...right there was a perfect example of a lack in vehicle knowledge.

obviously toyota built that car as a cheap commuter and not a performance vehicle. Worthless braces are installed on countless cars in an atempt to reach high crash standards, minimal vibration, supposed "structural ridgidness" and etc. To say "Toyota knows that they were doing" is a fairly ignorant comment. Sure, they can build cars, and they also do so very well, but as far as suspension from the factory, the setup is terrible. I understand that this is due to the fact Toyota wasnt trying to make a sports car and thats fine, but its not up to my standards, and saving 3 lbs is a lot. Evry piece of weight reduction in a car that is already this light is going to yield gains.

Im not here to bash anyone, nor should anyone be here to bash me. I have concluded from research and experience that the TRD brace is more than substantial in increasing and replacing the factory pos braces. This thread was not to argue suspension 101, but more than less to find out where i could purchase one of these units as they are becoming harder and harder to find as well as interest diminishing.

I hope im not offending you, but i am here for the sole purpose of building my car for me, my driving needs, and my abilities. Not anyone elses. Hope you dont take this to harshly, its simply that in my perspective, removing two useless braces for 3lbs and replacing them with a much sturdier setup is well worth the time, but hey to each their own right?
Old 01-19-2007, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

its hard to take anything you say seriously when the 1st thing you say is "ok...right there was a perfect example of a lack in vehicle knowledge. " then later "Im not here to bash anyone"

frankly i dont care what you do to your car. 3lbs is going to do nothing for the driving dynamic of the car. good luck trying to polish your turd.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im not here to play cat and mouse, and i am def. sorry if i offended you. Yes, i agree as an individual 3lbs (which realisticly is more like 5-7) there is going to be no difference, but when you take into account the amount of other weight reductions i have performed on the car you would quickly begin to realize that all of these things DO infact add up. Take a deep breath and review your knowledgebase, there is no need to get so uptight after taking a stab in the dark.

evry 100lbs lost = 1/10th in the quarter.
1/10th = performance gain

I recieved the information i needed and thats what this site is all about, being a communtiy and helping each other out. If you dont want to be tossed under the spotlight in the future, stay on topic. End of story.

Im going to go polish my turds now
Old 01-19-2007, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

im not offended and i dont care. im am totally aware of the benefits of weight reduction.

if your that worried about weight drive naked and shoeless (will probably give you the same benefit as the bracing you have been talking about), lose the heavy 17in wheels (probably the biggest difference you will see), AC compressor and various hoses, power steering pump, upgrade to a lighter battery, lose the sunroof and motor.

dont try to lecture me about cars.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's why I come here... the open and free exchange of knowledge......
Old 01-19-2007, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^he gets it lol.

Anyways, the reason i am doing some of these things is because the vehicle is still completely street driven on a daily basis. My goal is to keep all the "factory" looking interior pieces and conviences (power windows, locks, ac, etc)
As for wheels im sticking with 17's which are lighter than half the guys here with 15's due to the fact our cars are geared so low that with 15's i wont be able to hook up with my turbo setup (again this is just free raign for bashing, so lets save it for another thread)
If you are wondering what the wheels are, they are motegi traklites 17x8 +35mm ofset and 13lbs each....so yea, theres some more weight and a very noticeable difference.
...and as for driving naked, ill have to check the local laws but sounds like fun.

Sorry for the lecture, but dont worry now that class is over im all done
Old 01-19-2007, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ and that was a joke so please dont explode.
but if you do have any skills with graphics PMP me, i have a job for you.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you get graphics, get them in white.. or anything else light.....
Old 01-19-2007, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

wow another post of mine deleted!!!

what the hell ?

wraith sells them as well as carson toyota.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea, thanks hotbox, i got your post early this morning, i really appriciate the help. do you know how i can contact carson?
Old 01-20-2007, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I heard that wraith ran out of frame braces. I bought mine from him, but a LONG time ago. Last time someone posted about the rear frame brace they said that he was all out. It wont hurt to send him a PM to see if still has them. As for removing the OEM bars, i wouldn't do it. Whats wrong with extra stiffening. I race (circuit racing) my xA on a regular basis, and i haven't removed a SINGLE OEM brace. They way i look at it, the more bracing the better the car will feel. With all the braces my car has i still think it could use more bracing in the rear. I wouldn't even consider removing the stock braces because my xA tends to twist ALOT in the corners, especially the rear end. Since no one makes a decent rear strut bar im going to have to fab up one myself.

If you want to remove the OEM braces then do it. With everything else you have removed from the car, yeah it will help to save weight, but it will make the car twist alot more. No matter if you track race or drag race twisting in never a good thing.

By the way, my car has every single brace made to date, except for the rear strut bar because the only one i have seen attaches to the top post of the shock absorber and you dont want that. You want to attach it to the chassis not the shocks.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

you should get the whiteline rear sway bar there are a couple people who have the progress or trd rsb on top of the whiteline installed on xbs with no problem. that should stiffen up your rear pretty good although i'm not sure about fitment for both on an xa.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I actually welded my TRD in place, theres no more holes to mount too....

Quick Reply: TRD Rear Frame Brace