Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

xB, What can be done for less bumpy ride ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member

Default xB, What can be done for less bumpy ride ?

Just got an xB last week....My biggest hesitation was the bumpy ride....Almost didn't buy the xB just because of that. Went to 3 different dealerships just to be sure it wasn't the car.
It had everything else I wanted ... i.e. Low Price, Great Gas Mileage, ABS, Traction....YadaYadaYada....No Armrest or cruise though. While on a test ride, I stopped at a Good Year store just to see what they had to say...
They didn't know what to tell me. I do not want low profile tires. I want a very comfortable ride and was wondering what I can do?

Bryce

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-15-2017 at 02:10 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-14-2003, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Believe it or not, but get lowering springs. I bet EVERYONE on this forum that has their xB lowered will vouch that it will be a better ride than stock. I have Spy 2" drop and I dont have any issues with anything. No scraping, rubbing, grinding, or anything annoying of that sort.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check the tire pressure. Dealerships tend to overinflate the tires (among other things). If it's much over 29 psi cold let some air out -- that should help a lot.

I've also heard that the combination of TRD shocks and springs helps a lot.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sithscripter
Check the tire pressure. Dealerships tend to overinflate the tires (among other things). If it's much over 29 psi cold let some air out -- that should help a lot.

I've also heard that the combination of TRD shocks and springs helps a lot.
I'd def. take his advise. most cars come in with around 40psi as the tire pressure, the problem is that some prep guys dont' take their jobs seriously and dont' adjust it to proper pressure setting.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: xB, What can be done for less bumpy ride ?

Originally Posted by bbryce
Just got an xB last week....My biggest hesitation was the bumpy ride....Almost didn't buy the xB just because of that. Went to 3 different dealerships just to be sure it wasn't the car. It had everything else I wanted ... i.e. Low Price, Great Gas Mileage, ABS, Traction....YadaYadaYada....No Armrest or cruise though. While on a test ride, I stopped at a Good Year store just to see what they had to say...They didn't know what to tell me. I do not want low profile tires. I want a very comfortable ride and was wondering what I can do?
Two things:

Install lower-rate springs with more preload. You get the same ride height and softer ride. You'd have to have the springs custom-wound unless you get lucky and find another car with similar springs.
I've pondered Echo springs, but haven't gotten close enough to a junkyard Echo to measure them.

Switch the 15 inch wheels for 14s (like from an Echo) and run 185R14 tires. The higher profile tires will give a softer ride.

George <--also in search of a comfier ride

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-15-2017 at 02:13 AM.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've done some hunting around for a better ride too..........her'es what I've found out....

Echo springs are too long in the front, cutting them will make them ride stiff...rear is the same as xB

xA springs and shock are identical to the xB's.

custom spring would be hard to find and most likely expensive.

So, what I ended up doing was to buy a set of Spy 1.25" lowering springs, believe it or not, the ride is much softer.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionaraxb
I've done some hunting around for a better ride too..........her'es what I've found out....

Echo springs are too long in the front, cutting them will make them ride stiff...rear is the same as xB

xA springs and shock are identical to the xB's.

custom spring would be hard to find and most likely expensive.

So, what I ended up doing was to buy a set of Spy 1.25" lowering springs, believe it or not, the ride is much softer.
When comparing the Echo and Scion springs did you compare relaxed or installed length? If the Echo springs are a lower rate, they would need to be longer to get sufficient pre-load to prevent sag.

I just cannot see lowering the car to get softer springs. softer and less travel is a recipe for wiping out the skirts unless the driver is verrry careful. If the car is being used for "real life", it shouldn't be lowered. It's too low already.

George
Old 12-15-2003, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tire pressure is a critical component. Start there. Change pressures around and see what you like. Remember to always check teh pressures when the tires are cold to get an accurate reading.

What size wheels are you running? Lower profile tires will def ride firmer because of the stiffer sidewall. My car has 18s on it but running 40 series tires even though the reccomended size is 35. The larger profile will slow the car slightly as well as throw off the speed/odometer in return for a better ride. I actually think the car corners better this way too.

I would also suggest taking a ride in a car lowered wih TRD springs. These are the most mild in terms of height drop and really do improve the handling of the car. The lower center of gravity and higher spring rates actually provide a more solid and stable ride. Going for a ride in someones car with these springs and keeping all other variables constanst (as many as you can atleast) you ll quickly be able to tell the difference.

After you have considered and tested these options, the next step would be to look into underbody chassis braces. My S2000 which is already one of the stiffest vehicles available, benefited from the multiple braces i put on. I have already started to see X type braces for both the front and rear of the xb being available. Im certain that knock offs of these will be available VERY soon for half the cost. As soon as they do, my xB will be adorned with them.

If you need any more info or are in the LA area your welcome to stop by the shop and drve the car. I ll make a believer out of you ;)
Old 12-15-2003, 02:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Docofmind
After you have considered and tested these options, the next step would be to look into underbody chassis braces...
Exactly how does an underbody chassis brace soften the ride?
Old 12-15-2003, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by George

When comparing the Echo and Scion springs did you compare relaxed or installed length? If the Echo springs are a lower rate, they would need to be longer to get sufficient pre-load to prevent sag.

I just cannot see lowering the car to get softer springs. softer and less travel is a recipe for wiping out the skirts unless the driver is verrry careful. If the car is being used for "real life", it shouldn't be lowered. It's too low already.

George
I found out the free length is over an inch longer in the front........it's the same in the rear.
The spring rate seems to be only slightly lighter in both cases. I'd guess it'll actually raise the front, if the springs even fit.

I'm an old guy and didn't want to lower my car either, but I decided to go with the recomendations of the people on this site and try the Spy springs. Believe it or not, they are softer, and I chose the smallest amount of drop(1.25"). I'm running 17x7 rims with 215-40-17 tires and I'm very pleased with the ride now..............I was thinking of selling the car because I couldn't stand the ride.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I found out the free length is over an inch longer in the front........it's the same in the rear.
The spring rate seems to be only slightly lighter in both cases. I'd guess it'll actually raise the front, if the springs even fit.
A lower-rate spring would have to be longer in order to have the same ride height. The echo springs might be just the ticket for the front end!

I'm an old guy and didn't want to lower my car either, but I decided to go with the recomendations of the people on this site and try the Spy springs. Believe it or not, they are softer, and I chose the smallest amount of drop(1.25"). I'm running 17x7 rims with 215-40-17 tires and I'm very pleased with the ride now..............I was thinking of selling the car because I couldn't stand the ride.
I suppose that you could fab a spacer to restore the ride to its original height. the only danger would be coil bind, but I doubt that this would happen before the bump stop.

Now, if they would just make some rally struts and springs with a 2" lift!

George
Old 12-15-2003, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A friend of mine said he saw a lifted xB with offroad tires! I told him to get a pic!
Old 12-15-2003, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

After you have considered and tested these options, the next step would be to look into underbody chassis braces...
Exactly how does an underbody chassis brace soften the ride?

It woudlnt soften the ride but it would stiffen the chassis. This in turn would hekp smoothen out the ride.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It woudlnt soften the ride but it would stiffen the chassis. This in turn would hekp smoothen out the ride.
I doubt that......I've heard of people taking off their strut tower braces and claiming it improved the ride. The stock springs are too linear a spring.........it's as stiff in the first inch as it is in the last inch. Going with an aftermarket spring that is a progressive is a better choice for softening the ride. IMHO.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I got Tein Coilover, so far I like the ride. Though it will stop the BOUNCE, you'll feel more stiffness so I guess you have to sacrafice something. I know Scions are lightweight so it's more difficult to adjust a proper spring rate. If you want to change the ride to much more comfy ride, you should also consider weight of your family members, if you get too soft and ride with 4 people, you may have a problem with your car's height and also decreases your efficiency of shocks. I'd suggest you should consider how much LOAD you'll have on an average, if you tend to drive by your self, you could get a softer springs, if not, you'll have to deal with a bit of stiffness.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member

I have SPY 2" and the ride is better. These things have a stiff ride because 1. They are small cars with little tires. You want a smoother ride then go to a different car that is larger with bigger tires. Or air bag it and it will be really smooth. Any car with this type of wheel base is going to feel more. Stay with a larger sidewall tire and that will help. I have owned 12 cars all with different tires/wheels/suspension including lifted, lowered, and bagged and this is what I found to be true.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The reason the scion bounces so much is because of the short wheel base. Take a ride in Jeep Wrangler and you ll understand what i mean.

Dont know who told you about removing the chassis bracing and that improving the ride. Thats just comedy.
Old 12-18-2003, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I read it here on this site.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: xB, What can be done for less bumpy ride ?

Switch the 15 inch wheels for 14s (like from an Echo) and run 185R14 tires. The higher profile tires will give a softer ride. George <--also in search of a comfier ride
What would you think of keeping the stock 15" wheels and getting a tire with a higher sidewall? Would it rub against the car? For looks the 15s would be better , but I would also like a smooth ride.

What size would I get if I did this?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-15-2017 at 02:20 AM.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm telling you guys that the side wall high of the tires will NOT soften the ride any noticable amount! I found the only way is to swap the springs for some progressive and SOFTER springs.

Quick Reply: xB, What can be done for less bumpy ride ?