Notices

15" wheel advice w/ 196/65 tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member

Default 15" wheel advice w/ 196/65 tires

I have a new stock '06 white xB. Want to buy a set of alloys. My whole philosophy is cost effectiveness.

I like the Sport Edition D5 rims in 15x6.5 with a 38 mm offset. If I understand the concept correctly, these rims are 1/2" (13mm) wider than the stock alloys, and since the offset is the same as the stock offset for a 15x6 wheel, all the additional 13mm width of the D5 rim will be to the outside of the vehicle.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...6&autoModClar=

Since the xB has such short gearing, I'm also wanting to put on a slightly taller tire - 195/65-15, which will help with gearing and ground clearance. This tire will be approximately 1.2 inches greater in diameter, and about `5-6% greater circumference. I'm aware it will throw off speedometer/odometer readings- don't care, I can calculate actuals if necessary.

I was thinking of getting rims and tires together to take advantage of free mounting and balancing at the Tirerack. Was thinking of purchasing the Kumho 795 tire for these rims. (I'm on a budget)

My questions:

Do you know if the taller tire and wider rim towards the fender will create any clearance issues?

Do you know if the additional 13 mm will push the wheel/tire outside the fender wells excessively?

Anyone have any experience with these Sport Edition D5 rims?

Just looking at the xB it seems like the13mm wider track to outside of car, and taller tire should fit fine. I'm not into pereformance for this car, just low cost of operation, maintenance, and longevity. I use this car to go to MTB bicycle races around the Southeast, lots of interstgate driving, and some rocky roads to trailheads But thought'd ask this audience. Thanks!
Old 02-22-2007, 01:12 AM
TJ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm going out on a limb and answer your question.

With that rim, you shouldn't have any clearance issues with it clearing the suspension.

With that tire size, which i have ran on my xB on the stock steel wheel. You will hit the plastic rear piece in the back of the fenderwell on full turn lock. But this is on occasion.

Your car will be slower on acceleration. It will help somewhat with comfort but not by much.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Should have no clearance issues at all. Slightly worse acceleration and possible worse MPGs depending on what speeds are maintained plus heavier tire more rotating mass. More comfortable ride and less pothole worries.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by TJ
I'm going out on a limb and answer your question.

With that rim, you shouldn't have any clearance issues with it clearing the suspension.

With that tire size, which i have ran on my xB on the stock steel wheel. You will hit the plastic rear piece in the back of the fenderwell on full turn lock. But this is on occasion.

Your car will be slower on acceleration. It will help somewhat with comfort but not by much.
Thanks, I appreciate your info. I've eyeballed the clearance and did not think I would have clearance issues with the rim width. Th tire diameter was the bigger concern. I had written to Roger Laughlin at the Tire rack (who posts here) with the same question, His response was that:

"Our fitment team has approved the following 15 inch tire sizes for your vehicle:

Tire Size / Overall Diameter / Notes
185/60-15 / 23.7" / Your O.E. Size
195/55-15 / 23.4" /
205/55-15 / 23.9" /
215/50-15 / 23.5" /

Based on this information, the size of 195/65-15 @ 25.0" will be too
tall an cause some rubbing issues. In addition, the size is outside of
the 3% range your vehicles computer can handle. This will cause problems
with any wheel driven devises like the speed odometer, odometer, ABS,
and Traction Control."

I've not been able to talk to Roger yet, but intend to on the weekend. The 195/65 tire is about 5% bigger than the stock rim. I'm not too concerned about the issue of what the computer can handle - with all tire the same size the ABS and traction control will just kick in at a different speed, and I was driving looong before they invented such fluff. The speedometer and odometer errors can be calculated. With the larger tires, the car will be turning about 200 rpm less at 80 mph. I don't care if the car accelerates slower - didn't buy the xB for its speed!

But I am converned about tire rubbing, where it occurs, and under what conditions.

Will try to reach TJ for more details..

Finally, the wheel and tire weight of what I'm proposing is equal to or less than the stock alloy wheel and tire (34 vs 37 lbs).
Old 02-24-2007, 03:31 AM
TJ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Btw. ABS, traction control, odometer work fine.

Under most conditions you will not rub the rear plastic cover. I usually hit this part of the plastic on the front wheel wells. Notice how it's towards the back.

Some conditions when i encounter the rub. Which isn't bad .. there is no detrimental effect on the tire.

1)when i back out of the drive way and turn full lock to the left ... then full turn lock to the right. I can hear i've hit that plastic piece.

2)When the wheel well has accumulated with snow pushing the plastic piece a little forward for the wheel to come in contact with it on turn.

3)Sometimes on u-turn.

Btw this may or may not occur. Oh yeah i'm lowered 2" .

Here is a picture on the right wheel well.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member

TJ - Thanks for information, and the picture. Question - what size tire is on the car in the photo? Looks like it is on the stock steel rim. And was the picture taken after the car had been lowered? Did running these larger diameter tires ,make much difference in interstate driving? One of your posts led me to believe you no longer used the 195/65. Did you quit because of rubbing issues or somthing else?

My xB will not be lowered. Rest of suspension will stay stock. THANKS //kct
Old 02-24-2007, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"I like the Sport Edition D5 rims in 15x6.5 with a 38 mm offset. If I understand the concept correctly, these rims are 1/2" (13mm) wider than the stock alloys, and since the offset is the same as the stock offset for a 15x6 wheel, all the additional 13mm width of the D5 rim will be to the outside of the vehicle."

Incorrect. offset is measured from the centerline of the rim, so only half of the additional width goes to the outside of the vehicle...

Which shouldn't create any problems. As for the increased diameter, there will be some power loss and less crisp steering response. You're only gaining .6" of ground clearance- don't expect any miracles in that regard...

It's not something I'd do myself, but it seems like it'll work...
Old 02-24-2007, 06:52 PM
TJ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mtbx - I'm running my winter set of tires which are a 14" rim ... 185/70/14 studded which are 24.4" circumference. There are no rubbing issues with them.

My car has been lowered since the start. I still run the 195/65/15 when the winter set isn't run. I have 6 months to wear them out before i get my max performance summer tires on the 15" steelies to replace them.

I didn't really feel much difference in interstate driving with the exception of having the extra cushion of the sidewall. You have an array of all seasons to choose from.

If you don't want rubbing issues ... Go with 195/60/15.

Btw i still get 29-30mpg combined hwy mileage. I was getting 33 mpg with my previous 205/50/15 but calculate the speedo/odo differences with that tire set and you'll see why.