Notices

2006 XB with brake squeek

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 11:30 AM

Default 2006 XB with brake squeek

I have a 2006 Scion XB with less than 19,000 miles on it. I bought the car new and put on around 20 miles a day on the car, if that. My driving is all city driving and continually stop and go, so I brake often (there are 42 stop signs or traffic signals within a 10 mile one-way drive to work for me).

At my last inspection about a year ago, the Scion dealer told me my brakes were worn down and were close to needing replaced. I had him replace them at the time. (I thought it was kind of strange that original brakes from the manufacturer wore out this quickly, but given my stop-and-go driving daily, I figured that was the problem.)

Within the last month or so I've noticed a little squeek happening when I brake. When I first start the car up in the morning and drive about 3 miles, there's no noise at all. In the later part of my commute, the squeek starts to develop when I brake. It's a quiet intermittant squeek when I brake -- sort of like: squeek, quiet, squeek, quiet, squeek, quiet, squeek. It's not a loud squeel or a continuous long squeek.

When I got to work today, and stopped the car and put it into park and shut off the engine, I then stepped on the brake. It made one squeek noise each time I stepped on the brake.

Does anybody have a clue as to what could be the problem?
Old 02-15-2011, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Use some spray white lithium grease on the rubber boot near the fire wall where the actuator rod goes. Also lube all the contact points on the pedal, rod. Might be your problem if it occurs when stopped like you said. The rear brakes also need a touch of high temp grease where the pads/shoes ride on the backing plate , that can also cause a squeek.

Now with your stop and go driving, find a strech of clear road , get her up to 35-40 mph and stomp on the brakes coming to a stop and repeat a few times to break the glaze that has built up. Next time you have the brakes done make sure to break in the pads the proper way to keep it from happening again.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:35 AM

Default Squeeky brakes - grease

Thanks for the suggestions. Is there any particular brand of spray white lithium grease? Would that be the same that would go on the rear brakes or is that a different kind of grease? Where would I buy such grease? Does a local auto supply chain carry it?

Sorry but I don't know much about car repair, so any help you can provide as to what brand and exactly where I should place it would be helpful.

Thanks so much - the "eek eek eek" every time I brake is driving me nuts!
Old 02-18-2011, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Auto Parts Store will carry the WL Spray Grease.

And unless you do your own brakes Do Not Grease them, the shop that replaced them should have. And it is only a smear where the brake shoes touch the backing plate.

With the brake pedal , look under the dashboard , just follow the brake pedal and anywhere there is a contact point spray a little WLG , as you get to where the pedal goes through a little rubber boot give it a shot as well. From your discription sounds like the squeek is coming from that area.(When I got to work today, and stopped the car and put it into park and shut off the engine, I then stepped on the brake. It made one squeek noise each time I stepped on the brake.)

Hope this works for you.