Notices

Can you recommend some good 17s?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 04:55 AM
5 Year Member

Default Can you recommend some good 17s?

I know nothing about car wheels at all, but I do know that if I got the Scion I would like to add some chrome 17s. What is a good price for a set of four, including wheels, etc.?

Can you guys recommend a good place to buy from, online or otherwise?

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

chk out this place...they have awesome deals.

www.wheelmax.com
Old 10-15-2003, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, first off, where do you live? This will help us to know what wheel retailer to recomend.
Secondly, Do you want to get expensive "real deal" wheels like Tenzo, Volk, Antera, etc., or would you be happy with a wheel that is a replica of some of them more expensive brands previously mentioned?
If what you are looking for is a chrome replica wheels, you may want to start your search at www.wheelmax.com or www.tirerack.com
I would recommend only using them as a catalog to pick out the wheels you want and then ordering from a wheel retailer that one of us ScionLife members recommends based on your location. There are some wheel retailers that will either meet or beat the prices at the previously mentioned websites.
Also, remember to look for wheels with an offset of +42 or lower, and a 4 X 100 bolt pattern.

BTW, if you are from the bay area, check out Auto Innovations in Milpitas. That is where me and a number of other NorCal ScionLife members got our wheels. Great prices and service!
Old 10-15-2003, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For replica 17" chrome wheels, expect to pay approximately $1100 or more with tires, mounting /balancing, and lug nuts.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:36 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by McG XB
For replica 17" chrome wheels, expect to pay approximately $1100 or more with tires, mounting /balancing, and lug nuts.
What's your personal opinion on which looks better on the xB, 17s or 18s?
Old 10-15-2003, 05:41 AM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Visit the Scion Life Gallery to view Scions on different sized wheels:
https://www.scionlife.com/gallery

Darren
Old 10-15-2003, 05:44 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

You could go to wheelmax and get the uglies for $500. For a bargain, I like ADR wheels. Wheelmax sells the 17s starting at $1000. Although their the really less expensive versions, you can't go wrong with an ebay price. Go on ebay and search for "17 adr tires", you'll get like 10 styles, all dif. colors and under/around $600, this is for wheels and tires. Go to the sellers shop and call it up instead of bidding, ask is they could do better price, never hurts. I once got 18s with tires for $800 including shipping and I talked the guy down from $950. If not, $600 is still good for 17's
Old 10-15-2003, 05:49 AM
5 Year Member

Will I need to change my suspension if I get 17s or 18s?
Old 10-15-2003, 05:54 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

No, but it will look better with a drop cuz no-one favors the big wheel gap look nowadays. Just get a thicker tire for the 17s plus drop it and it'll look great.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hip To Be Square
What's your personal opinion on which looks better on the xB, 17s or 18s?
I went with 17s with a 40 series tire to maintain ride quality. If you want 18s, you'll probably want to go with a 35 series tire, which has a smaller sidewall. This is to maintain a similar diameter wheel/tire combo as stock so the tire don't rub anything inside of the fenders and so that your speedometer stays accurate.

I like both 17s and 18s, but I think either way, the wheels look best when the xB is lowered on some lowering springs to fill up the gap between the tire and the top of the wheel well. Lowering springs are an additional $200-250, not including installation.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:29 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

$216 springs are for SPY's, everyones favorite, the best quality available. Just get tanabe springs, their a lot better than the sprint springs and I can give you a place in LA that'll do it for $165 no tax, not installed. 2" drop looks excellent. do the ebay thing I said, $1100 is too much for replicas. I got racing hart c5 18" for $1250, in a wheel shop-not ebay, for my other ride.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Rota has some good style rims, even though they are replicas, they have very good quality and prices.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well, first off, where do you live? This will help us to know what wheel retailer to recomend.
Secondly, Do you want to get expensive "real deal" wheels like Tenzo, Volk, Antera, etc., or would you be happy with a wheel that is a replica of some of them more expensive brands previously mentioned?
If what you are looking for is a chrome replica wheels, you may want to start your search at www.wheelmax.com or www.tirerack.com
I would recommend only using them as a catalog to pick out the wheels you want and then ordering from a wheel retailer that one of us ScionLife members recommends based on your location. There are some wheel retailers that will either meet or beat the prices at the previously mentioned websites.
Also, remember to look for wheels with an offset of +42 or lower, and a 4 X 100 bolt pattern.

BTW, if you are from the bay area, check out Auto Innovations in Milpitas. That is where me and a number of other NorCal ScionLife members got our wheels. Great prices and service!
I don't think Tenzo ever made a single wheel that wasn't a straight ripoff/copy of another manufacturers wheel...ever!
Old 10-15-2003, 09:42 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

That's exactly what I was thinking. Tenzo...?
Old 10-15-2003, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i think by "tenzo", he actually meant "work". that has to be it. tenzo is imitation crap.

no offense, you guys.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by showpaojoe
$216 springs are for SPY's, everyones favorite, the best quality available. Just get tanabe springs, their a lot better than the sprint springs and I can give you a place in LA that'll do it for $165 no tax, not installed. 2" drop looks excellent. do the ebay thing I said, $1100 is too much for replicas. I got racing hart c5 18" for $1250, in a wheel shop-not ebay, for my other ride.
u got a phone number to the store? and do they have it in stock?
Old 10-16-2003, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member

Default good deal

If anyone is looking for a good price on rims, please contact the wheel supply @ thewheelsupply.com or 909-468-1311. Ask for my friend Sander and tell him that Tony referred you. He can get any 5 zigen stuff, work, euro rims, pretty much anything. If you let him know I referred you, I am sure he will hook you up. I have bought tires and rims from him for about 5 years now. Hope this helps.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:12 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

Originally Posted by BlueBox
u got a phone number to the store? and do they have it in stock?
I'll try and find it, its been a month since I've used it. Somewhere lost in my room.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:43 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

Bluebox, or anyone looking for the Tanabe springs, this guy can do it for $165 pick-up in LA. Hope this helps
email- devil_z33@yahoo.com.hk
phone # 626-456-1110
Old 10-16-2003, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by showpaojoe
Bluebox, or anyone looking for the Tanabe springs, this guy can do it for $165 pick-up in LA. Hope this helps
email- devil_z33@yahoo.com.hk
phone # 626-456-1110
i contacted that guy...but he wants half upfront for deposit...then other half when it's available. how can i trust this guy...that he won't take off with my $82.50 ?

If he has them in stock...i'm willing to go up there and pick it up and pay him cash...all at once. he's in the city of industry i believe.

wat's ur experience?

Quick Reply: Can you recommend some good 17s?