Notices

Different spacers front and rear

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 03:03 AM
5 Year Member

Default Different spacers front and rear

I've been reading A LOT about the offset of wheels for the xb today. So, please correct me if i'm wrong. But, would this be a very driveable/safe/good looking setup...

18x7.5 45mm offset. 5mm spacers on the fronts, 15mm spacers on the rear.

Everyone says that you need a good amount of room in the rear with the 45mm offset so is it best to go with the 15mm spacers back there? I read at least one guy that said he had 45mm offset and just the 5mm spacer and he had no rubbing...but, i also don't want the wheel to set in really deep behind the fender. And, everyone seems to agree that with the same offset, the rear wheels seem to set in deeper that the fronts. Thats why it makes sense to go with the smaller spacer in the front...right?

Also, are all of the h&r spacers still on back order? If i order a set of 15mm and a set of 5mm does anyone know how long i should expect to wait to get them?

oh...all of this with 215/35/18 tires.

thanks
Old 06-24-2004, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats about right...5 in the front 15 in the rear....

u can actually go little more in the front with 10mm....also depends on the drop....

if u want quality spacers, scionvan sell spacer shims go behind the hub with longer studs... its safer that way and looks better actually
Old 06-24-2004, 03:23 AM
5 Year Member

if u want quality spacers, scionvan sell spacer shims go behind the hub with longer studs... its safer that way and looks better actually
Tell me more about this...where would i get these? I'm really new to all this scion stuff if you couldn't tell

Also, how do these parts install? Either type of spacer...i've never used them...is it an easy install? What is involved?

What are the prices of these other type of spacers you mentioned? I was going to order the h&r spacers right away...is it worth it to wait and get the other kind???
Old 06-24-2004, 03:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good luck finding the h&r spacers. I tried couple weeks ago. And there out of stock everywhere. Then called h&r and they told me there on back order and call back in a couple weeks. As for Van, He's a great guy to deal with. I ordered spacer shims from him 2 days ago, and received them today. And bolted them on tonight! But here's his site.

http://www.onetongarage.com/products...him/index.html

,Chino
Old 06-24-2004, 04:11 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the info.

Is it possible to get the 15mm h&r spacers? or are they sold out too?

I'm thinking i might go with those 10mm shims for the fronts and the 15mm h&r spacers for the rear. Would that be cool???????
Old 06-24-2004, 01:30 PM
Banned
SL Member

OK, i have a couple of questions for those who know what the hell they are talking about.

I have a 17x7.5 with a 40MM offset. I also have a 3MM spacer in the front, with no modification to the studs or anything else. My concern is the way the rear looks. The wheels are set too far inside the wheel well. How do i measure the gap and decide if i need the 10MM spacer as list above that bolts on to the mounting plate on the frame, or do i need a 15MM spacer either using the above supplier or finding a bolt on to the front hub? I would really like to get rid of this gap, it annoys me every time i look at it.

BTW, did you notice the disclaimer that the hub spacers are for off raod use only? Did they start making a 4x4 xB yet?
Old 06-24-2004, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been thinking about this...Get the OneTon Garage 10MM spacer shims. Since they don't mess with the lugs at all then, would it be possible to then use a 5mm H&R spacer to get to the total increased spacer of just one 15mm spacer by itself, which by itself, would make you have to remove and extend the stock lugs? I think that would work pretty well... I seem to recall that Van was also designing a 15MM spacer shim...

Van, you out there, what do you think? Anybody?
Old 06-24-2004, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Chino5149, how do they look, do you have before and after pix? Did you add them to both the front and rear?

I was going to move my rear 5mm H&R spacers to the front and add the 10MM shims to the rear but, something tells me it just won't be enough for my 15X7 35ET Nezarts in the rear, 5MM in the rear does NOTHING! :sad: I guess this depends on your set-up tho'...

Al.Truistic
aB
Originally Posted by chino5149
Good luck finding the h&r spacers. I tried couple weeks ago. And there out of stock everywhere. Then called h&r and they told me there on back order and call back in a couple weeks. As for Van, He's a great guy to deal with. I ordered spacer shims from him 2 days ago, and received them today. And bolted them on tonight! But here's his site.

http://www.onetongarage.com/products...him/index.html

,Chino
Old 06-24-2004, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I recently purchased and installed the 10mm axle spacer from Van @ www.onetongarage.com I highly recommend this upgrade over using the wheel spacers on the rear. The install was easy, the product is high quality and the price is just right.

I am also checking out the OTG 5mm wheel spacer for the front, need more room to help clear the adjustment collars on my coilovers...
Old 06-24-2004, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member

so which set up would you recommend more...

using the 10mm shims on the front and rear with the extra 5mm h&r spacer? OR would it be better to just use the 10mm shims on the front and the 15mm h&r on the rear?

the price for either setup should be identical...but i guess it is still hard to get the 5mm h&r spacer from what i've been reading...
Old 06-24-2004, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

IMO I would use the 10mm axle spacers check it out and if you need to then use the 5mm spacer. On the front I would only use if I had to a 10mm hub centric with extended wheel studs like the H&R DRS SERIES wheel spacers exchanging the existing wheel studs for longer ones.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member

Besides the quicker availabilty and the price difference, i don't understand why i shouldn't just use the h&r spacers on the front and rear. Are they just not safe or something? I don't get it.

Are the h&r spacers particularly difficult to install because of the need to add the longer studs?

Please enlighten me.

Thanks
Old 06-25-2004, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The H&R's are great if you can get them. There is a lil more involved installing them though. You have to press out the old studs and press in the newer long ones. And you will have to disassemble the hub assembly in order to do that. Vans spacers just bolt in from behind the whole hub assembly. But his kit is only for the rear. It's a lot easier install imo, took me under an hour to install both sides. The front you'll have to use the H&R's....

,Chino
Old 06-25-2004, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How about this order some rims with the correct offset and you won't need spacer shims. :D
Old 06-25-2004, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by westsype
How about this order some rims with the correct offset and you won't need spacer shims. :D
That would be great if we all had the money too. But most a lot of us don't and it limits your wheel selection to custom applications only. And another plus is you can rotate your wheels if you stick with the same offset for front and back. :D
Old 06-25-2004, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Al.Truistic
Chino5149, how do they look, do you have before and after pix? Did you add them to both the front and rear?

I was going to move my rear 5mm H&R spacers to the front and add the 10MM shims to the rear but, something tells me it just won't be enough for my 15X7 35ET Nezarts in the rear, 5MM in the rear does NOTHING! :sad: I guess this depends on your set-up tho'...
I just posted this thread today with before and after pix......

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17849

,Chino
Old 06-30-2004, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Toy xbox
IMO I would use the 10mm axle spacers check it out and if you need to then use the 5mm spacer. On the front I would only use if I had to a 10mm hub centric with extended wheel studs like the H&R DRS SERIES wheel spacers exchanging the existing wheel studs for longer ones.
the set you went with didn't need the longer lugs right? i am highly considering these because wheel spacers are horrible.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

CBSIMONSEZ

Who makes 3mm spacers? I guess ordered my rear shims from van and i should get them before the weekend i keep ya posted.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by CBSIMONSEZ
OK, i have a couple of questions for those who know what the hell they are talking about.

I have a 17x7.5 with a 40MM offset. I also have a 3MM spacer in the front, with no modification to the studs or anything else. My concern is the way the rear looks. The wheels are set too far inside the wheel well. How do i measure the gap and decide if i need the 10MM spacer as list above that bolts on to the mounting plate on the frame, or do i need a 15MM spacer either using the above supplier or finding a bolt on to the front hub? I would really like to get rid of this gap, it annoys me every time i look at it.

BTW, did you notice the disclaimer that the hub spacers are for off raod use only? Did they start making a 4x4 xB yet?
Did you ever determine which you were going to go with? I have the SAME exact specs and I'm trying to decide between the 10 and 15. Can't find pics either =P