Notices

Hey guys!! so i MIGHT BE getting the 18'rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Hey guys!! so i MIGHT BE getting the 18'rims

i was wondering if anyone could tell me if they were good or not?

im getting a Azul Tc with ground effect's and the 18" wheels, possibly a Security system? not to sure on that? might use my old one in my old car now?

anyway?! lol

who has the 18" and are they all season tires? so would they be Decent in the winter?
i know how to drive good, lol just need to know if they would work, lol

and do they Drive better? then the 17'a

whats the difference between 17 and 18's? im not a CAR GUY, sorry? lol

Thanks alot From New york~!

Jason
Old 08-23-2004, 11:55 PM
n8
5 Year Member

there can be a difference in performance from 17's to 18's.... what happens is when you have bigger tires there will be less need for the wheels to turn as much. you can get a few added horse power out of this if you would like. then again they make high profile tires so that you can have larger rims without changing the wheel size, you following me here? if you do end up installing larger wheels and getting larger tires than the manufacturer supplies you will have to change the speedometer ratings so that you know how fast you're really going. most places like goodyear and discount tire will be able to help you out.

good luck
Old 08-24-2004, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

if you want looks...go with 18 or 19" rims. The stock is 17" ... why spend money to replace it with another 17"? Personally... 17" rims on the tC is small IMO. I've seen couple with 19" and they look just perfect... even 18 look a tad small.

IF you want comfort stick with 17" . Once you get to 18 or eve 19... the ride becomes abit bumpier...but hey..u can't have everything. 19" will definitely stand out and make your tC look very nice... 18" rims will be okay...but lowering the car will be recommended to make it flush with the car.

I'm opting to get 19" after considering many options... but 18" is alot cheaper than 19" rims.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I really like the Enkei 18s (much better than the TRD 18s.) If they let me "trade-up" for them, instead of making my buy them outright, I would go for it. Actually, if they gave me a set of snows on steelies and the 18s and kept my 17s I would have been really happy, but what am I supposed to do with the brand new 17s (other than eBay) once I put the 18s on?
Old 08-24-2004, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by n8
there can be a difference in performance from 17's to 18's.... what happens is when you have bigger tires there will be less need for the wheels to turn as much. you can get a few added horse power out of this if you would like. then again they make high profile tires so that you can have larger rims without changing the wheel size, you following me here? if you do end up installing larger wheels and getting larger tires than the manufacturer supplies you will have to change the speedometer ratings so that you know how fast you're really going. most places like goodyear and discount tire will be able to help you out.

good luck
Wow. You have almost everything back-___-wards. When you goto a larger rim, you increase the moment of intertia and usually increase weight which decreases horsepower.

Then you talk about high-profile tires? You mean low-profile tires. In proper plus sizing you increase the rim diameter while decreasing the sidewall height of the tire to keep the same over-all diameter, and the same speedometer readings.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
Scinergy

So, um...

Changing the tires will have absolutely zero effect on your horsepower. Zip. nothing. It can make your performance change, but it will never change your horsepower. Hate to break it to you guys, but wheels and tires don't effect your horsepower whatsoever.

Bigger wheels won't increase your performance, they're there for looks. There could be slight changes in acceleration/handling due to different tires, changes in sidewall flex, unsprung weight etc, but they'll be really minimal. The biggest differences you'll note are a rougher ride and a higher price for new tires.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member

I would stay away from getting 19" wheels. 19's aren't considered a standard size and are often overlooked by most tire companies. You would pay more for a tire for a 19" wheel than you would for a 20" tire. I'd go with the 18's.

Speaking of which, how much does the upgrade cost? The thing I saw said that you get a dealer credit for the standard wheels when upgrading.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from my past expereience with low profile larger rims,

ride sufferes, looks great

weight adds(wider tires) 215 45 17 is what we have oem
225 40 18 is recommended tire for 18s
225 35 19 is recommended tire for 19s
the wider tires definitely drinks more gas. even if you get light rims like oz's and bbs'

people laugh at you when you take 18s, 19s to track

one of the worst experience I had with larger rims is that if you go over a deep pot holes(you can find alot of them around my neighborhood) you can bent rims and you need to either repair them or get a new one. If you bent them you will feel the vibration.

up to 18 i will recommend but 19..... well if you know how to drive and ok with rough ride with rims + lowered springs... go for it

I would just stay around 18s..
Old 08-24-2004, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by MunchE
So, um...

Changing the tires will have absolutely zero effect on your horsepower. Zip. nothing. It can make your performance change, but it will never change your horsepower. Hate to break it to you guys, but wheels and tires don't effect your horsepower whatsoever.

Bigger wheels won't increase your performance, they're there for looks. There could be slight changes in acceleration/handling due to different tires, changes in sidewall flex, unsprung weight etc, but they'll be really minimal. The biggest differences you'll note are a rougher ride and a higher price for new tires.
thank u for straightening out the misinformation... my stomach churned reading the "adding of horsepower by getting bigger wheels"
Old 08-24-2004, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MunchE
So, um...

Take it to a dyno. You can't argue physics. It takes more effort to turn an object with more mass. THis affect is multiplied because it is rotating.

edit: you are right that it will not decrease horsepower, it decreases the amount of available horsepower to the wheels, which is a semantics arguement.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24959

larger size wheels won't hurt HPs but you are slower over all check em out