Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Tire Brands

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 12:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Tire Brands

Hey, I am in the market for a set of tires and have found that there are quite afew companies that make the "High Performance" tire size that I am lookin for 215/35/18. I found that the prices range from $100.00-$250.00 per tire. I was wonderin if the old saying holds true with these tires, You get what you pay for. Are there brands I should avoid. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

my favorite tire is bridgestone S03's, but i don't know if they make them in our size(215/35/18's), but for our cars any tire is fine that is 215/35/18s. i'm using the nankang ns2's and think that for our cars is a very good tire for the money. sure there are better tires, but our cars don't need tires that could be used on cars like ferrari's. i heard the perelli(spelling) give a lot of road noise. i know for a fact that nittos 555's are really good performers for the price. i used kumhos 712's and recommend them, but the nankangs last long, perform well, and don't make much noise. i need tires for commuting!. my 2 cents
Old 11-18-2003, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default FALKEN

FALKEN Ziex ZE-512 is a pretty good tires all year round.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

i have a set of 215/40/17 Hankook Ventis from tires.com. $83.00 each with free shipping. I like them.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have Yokahama ES-100s 205/40/17.
They have a nice "square" look with a sidewall that sits nice and flush with the rims... and I have no complaints about thier performance.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i voted for Yokohamas cause that is what i have on my xB! they ride and handle well!
Old 11-18-2003, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dchan8
but for our cars any tire is fine that is 215/35/18s. i'm using the nankang ns2's and think that for our cars is a very good tire for the money. sure there are better tires, but our cars don't need tires that could be used on cars like ferrari's. i heard the perelli(spelling) give a lot of road noise. i know for a fact that nittos 555's are really good performers for the price.
I agree with dchan8 since we're not going to be needing same performance tires like the High Performance sports cars, an affordable tires will do. Nankang seems to last long. 13,500 miles on my Lowered xB and I'm very happy with the Nankang NSII

Since it's for the xB, whatever is the cheapest one would be my favorite...

I paid $110 each shipped for 215x35x18.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by randode
i have a set of 215/40/17 Hankook Ventis from tires.com. $83.00 each with free shipping. I like them.
I agree with Randy, I have these tires too and they are a great deal.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

toyo proxes t1-s or dunlop sp9000. w00t
Old 11-18-2003, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One thing i want to stress to you guys and something that I will always stress is that when it comes to tires, you really get what you pay for.

My S2000 came stock with Bridgestone S02s which is an amazing tire. I have a set of S03s in 19s on my dads lexus and they are so so. A little too stiff for my personal taste.

One company that you missed which surprises the hell out of me is Toyo. They make probably a few of the best tires in the world. All three sets of rims i have have Toyo on them. My S2000 runs on 18" Toyo T1s which is probably the best high performance tire on the market short of being R compound. On the track, I run 17" Toyo RA1 which is an R compound but still is DOT legal. I have them shaved and seriously, they are basically slicks. They also hardly ever chunck after being heat cycled repeatedly.

On the Scion i am running a new tire that they just released which is a all season high performance tire. Much like the S03, same basic idea but its actually softer and offers more grip for its treadwear.

I may sound like a commercial, but after all the driving i have done and continue to do, tires are one thing i know about. With all of the critical elements involved, tires are the what make contact to the road. You really dont want to skimp out here. Just my opinion.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I love my Nitto Extreme Tires...awesome grip ...awesome looking...
Old 11-18-2003, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Docofmind
One thing i want to stress to you guys and something that I will always stress is that when it comes to tires, you really get what you pay for.
I may sound like a commercial, but after all the driving i have done and continue to do, tires are one thing i know about. With all of the critical elements involved, tires are the what make contact to the road. You really dont want to skimp out here. Just my opinion.
I agree that if you want really good performance, you shouldn't skimp on tires, BUT IMO - our Scions(either the xB or xA) are not high performance cars, keep in mind our speed limit is about 100mph, so anything HR rated is probably enough, and most 215/35/18 tires are well above the HR rating, so they would be more than enough. I don't think I'll ever max out a performance tire good enough for supras, skylines, nsx's, ferraris, porsches, etc.., so I'll stick to what is cheap, quiet, and can handle about 100mphs. my main need is tread wear.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dchan8
I agree that if you want really good performance, you shouldn't skimp on tires, BUT IMO - our Scions(either the xB or xA) are not high performance cars, keep in mind our speed limit is about 100mph, so anything HR rated is probably enough, and most 215/35/18 tires are well above the HR rating, so they would be more than enough. I don't think I'll ever max out a performance tire good enough for supras, skylines, nsx's, ferraris, porsches, etc.., so I'll stick to what is cheap, quiet, and can handle about 100mphs. my main need is tread wear.
I completely agree with you about the "need" for highest priced/ best tire for our little cars.....I doubt anyone in a Scion will ever push the performance envelope of our tires like a true sports car would.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This has nothing to do with performance. I am talking about structural integrity. With my backround in motorsports, there is a strong element of engineering involved in what I do.

All i am saying is that it doesnt all boil down to performance. Ride quality, noise, density of tire, and longevity are only a few of the variables that get effected by poor tire quality.

You guys can keep your tires from China, I know better
Old 11-19-2003, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

This has nothing to do with performance. I am talking about structural integrity. With my backround in motorsports, there is a strong element of engineering involved in what I do.

All i am saying is that it doesnt all boil down to performance. Ride quality, noise, density of tire, and longevity are only a few of the variables that get effected by poor tire quality.

You guys can keep your tires from China, I know better
Docofmind

you mentioned that the tires on your Scion are softer, do they have a nicer ride due to that? also, what is the road noise like?

i have Yokohama's all season type tire and it is fairly quiet and rides pretty good too but i could use a softer ride..... i have 215/40/17's on my xB....
Old 11-19-2003, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i have yokos PARADA 215/35/18 which handles really good both wet and dry pavement. And i really like that crazy tread pattern
Old 11-19-2003, 07:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yanges, what i meant when i said softer was in relation tothe Bridgesstone S03s. They are basically the same type of tire (same rating) and in my opinion, they are softer. This offers better grip and better ride quality without any noise.

Keep in mind that im running a 3% larger tire, a 215/40/18 instead of a 215/35 which is what is advised.

Hopefully by next meet my car will be lowered, spacers will be fitted along with my 6 piston calipers and intake. Your welcome to come out for a spin and you can tell me what you think.

Im not going to knock any tire but seriously, if you really are on a budget and dont want to shell out the dough for premium tires go with the Kumho MX tires. They are the newer series released from Kumho which is actually a very good tire. Much more responsive and no where near as loud as the crappy ECSTA tires they also have. They also have much more grip than the Parada spec 2 as well.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You guys can keep your tires from China, I know better :)
I personally think there is nothing wrong with tires made in Asia. FYI most of the rubber used in tires are supplied from one supplier in the world. This one supplier also supplies to Bridgestone, Goodyear, Michelin, etc... I should know as they are a branch of my company.

As for structural integrity, I would believe that all tires sold in the US meet safety guidelines, otherwise i don't think that the manufactures would be albe to sell their tires here. I also think that they don't want to have any law suits if a tire fails.
Old 11-23-2003, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member

I used to work at Discount Tire and Yokohama always made the best tires. Nitto used to be good but their quality went down as fast as their popularity went up. We'd have Nitto customers come back all the time with bubbles and swelling in the sidewalls. Falken had problems with being out of round (a b*tch to balance properly). Bridgestone's were good and Kumho's were actually good for how much you pay. I never saw Nankangs come through. This was more than a year ago though. I still only buy Yokos, but I'm overly picky at times.

Edit: Goodyear and Pirelli made good stuff but were VERY overpriced.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm I just got nittos 215/35/18's so far so good... I hope I dont get any of these problems.

Quick Reply: Tire Brands