Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Best place to buy / material for body kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Best place to buy / material for body kit?

I currently have two xB's, a show one with a stock bumper and a recently picked up daily that happens to have a fiberglass FAB style kit on it. Wasn't whay I bought it, but the owner said it is a real FAB since the bottom middle is notched out and not smooth like the knock-offs.

Knock-off (notice smooth bottom lip)

Current one (notice bottom is notched)

Only problem is it's starting to crack below the headlights. I'm debating whether to repair or replace it, it also came with Toyota-stamped Lexus fog lights (all glass, nice quality) that I'd want to reuse.

On the show car, the lip got ate in a recent snow (drift was ice, chewed pretty bad) so I'd also want a new front bumper for that one. Where is a good place to order from, and is it better to get the fiberglass or the duraflex? I'm doing the install, fitment and painting so I can modify if necessary, but would prefer to start with a close fit. I'd love urethane but can't seem to find any.

Right now I'm relying on google searches, can someone recommend a good place from online. The one going on the show car will be chopped to fit the mid-mount intercooler.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

only way to really find out if the bumper is authentic or not is going to be behind the bumper, there should be a fabulous stamp on it. i never seen the bottom indent before, i never seen a duraflex bumper out there on the market, almost all of them i know are all FG. if its not a real fabulous bumper you might as well buy another fab bumper and make it work instead of wasting your time reglassing it.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks, any good places to buy? I'm leaning toward repair because fitment is good, I'd hate to have to go through fitment again with a new one. Also, the crack doesn't look too bad to fix, I figured I'd just reinforce the back side with mat, fill the crack with resin, sand it down, maybe use some filler to finish and then repaint.

Regardless, I still need to buy a second bumper for my other xB. The lip got ate and damaged the upper bumper from the last snow (ruts in the road, middle hump turned to ice, ate bumper. I could possibly go through insurance but have a $500 deductible and I figure if it needs replacing anyway, go custom. I'm not sure if it would be better to order online or go through a shop. I know there will be a mark-up but hopefully not shipping, plus I can inspect for damage before accepting delivery.

Here's the other one before the corner got ate. Passenger side now has a hole in it where the lip meets the middle bumper. I'm thinking of taking a torch to it and calling it battle damage for shows until I can get it fixed.

Last edited by vettereddie; 01-04-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go with Fiberglass over duraflex if doing a full bumper, if doing a lip then go urethane if possible.