Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Brainstorming, Sonar Projectors, Halo Lights inside?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Brainstorming, Sonar Projectors, Halo Lights inside?

So, got a brand new/USED pair of Sonars for the xB. Yanked them apart to get at the guts of the things, the lenses are foggy and just worn out from age (unless there is a place to buy new lenses LOL) SO now I'm debating on a few things to play with from these headlights.

First thing, the Halos. Going to hook them up and test time soon, make sure they still work, and IF they do, I'm really thinking about mounting them inside the xB somewhere to a rocker switch. Any thoughts? Ideas on placement? My wife joking said I should just toss all 4 of them over the shifter boot, but then it would look like an adult toy.

I'm also thinking about gutting the projector and see if it would be possible to mount it inside the OEM fog lights. I'm already pretty sure this won't work, just a shame since the internals of the Sonars are still in tip top condition, just those lenses being the aftermarket plastic that they are, they are just shot. I really want to use them for something.

I wonder if OEM headlight lenses would fit on these (DOUBTFUL).

...and yes, I know you can get brand new sets of Sonars for like $130, so I'm not trying to spend a bunch of cash, just looking at possible projects to pass the time.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scratch I think they will fit but they will need to be shaved down a bit where they go in also the plastic on the oem where the screw goes in for the blinker light housing will need to be broken off... I played with this idea just didn't wanna put in the time for it... but I'm sure can be done with some shaving down here n there... I have stock oem plastic if u wanted to pick that up from me...that way u wouldn't have to worry bout being headlight-less or u could try to sand the plastic and buff them out .. anyway good luck let me know if u need the oem covers.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can always go over the lenses with some rubbing compound, and clear them up, save yourself the time and trouble..

any chance you could post or send me a pm with some pics of the internals of the sonars? i want to crack mine open, and make some allignhment issues go away, but i want to know what im getting into first..
Old 03-29-2011, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's a few pics of the guts...

Lens off, you can see how foggy it is, even after cleaning

Issue with pulling the lens, there are screws from the inner housing, PITA to get to, many of mine i just broke off. Plus if you heat the thing, the screws may melt the lens...

Inner housing, where the projector is screwed in. Again more screws that may get hot if you bake the lamps...

The other end of the adjustment screw on the back of the housing.

I've also noticed I'll need to solder the leads back on the halos if I pull them out of the housing. It is doable though, still thinking of trying it.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the pics!!!!! exactly what i needed!!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2011, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Few more pics after pulling a bit more of the sonar apart...

here's the Halo wired up, there is a capacitor or something wired in which is nice...

and if anyone was wondering about the cutoff, here it is...
Old 04-04-2011, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I need to adjust the alignment of my beams BAD, but Im quite afraid to attempt any disassembly on the headlights to do so. Any other way to get to that adjustment screw, from the back perhaps?
Old 04-04-2011, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is an adjustment screw on the back of the Sonar lamps, one on each side, I'm assuming one for each lamp (Proj/Hi). I can see how some of the alignment gets way out of whack, if the screws for the projector housing were not lined up correctly, it can really mess up the alignment from the start.

I really do NOT recommend taking apart the Sonars, unless the newer models are built differently, those small screws that go from the inner housing (where the halos are mounted) into the lens will make for mucho sads.

Although, I have a feeling by the time I'm done playing with this set of lamps, I may have a bunch of spare Sonar parts laying around, unless I can wire in the Halos to the speaker grills.