Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

De-wiping my xBs Rear

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member

Default De-wiping my xBs Rear

Long time reader, first time poster. There's very little on here about a proper removal of the rear-wiper. A few complaints about rattle from the sub and one idea to remove the wiper arm and put an antennae ball on the nipple left sticking out. I'm not diggin the bass rattle and just like a cleaner look on my polar white. I removed the rear badges last weekend and now I'm thinking that the rear wiper has got to go. Anybody have a DIY on this? I'm thinking remove the entire wiper assembly and put a matching polar white cap, or whatever color ya got, in the hole. Ideas anybody? Photos? Thanks.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

the wiper arm itself requires a little bit of persuasion to remove.
first, pop off the plastic cover.
then remove the nut with a 10mm socket.
screw the nut back on about 3-4 threads.
hold on to the wiper shft at the bast and pull while you whack the nut with a hammer one good time.
it will pop loose, then remove the nut.

as for removing the whole motor, i dont know.
Denny?
Old 01-28-2004, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member

randode, Thanks for the tips on removing the arm. I haven't looked at it in too much detail yet but this'll help. I thought I read in a post that you removed the wiper from your xB. What did you do with the sticking out parts, or how are you concealing what's left? I'm assuming you didn't go with the antennae ball idea.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's an idea...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...ghlight=faucet

I work at a plastics machine shop. If it was worth it, I could design a a cover to fit over the peg. The downside is machining minimums aren't cheap. So far, I don't think it's worth looking into.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

actually, i sell either a chrome bullet or a chrome skull that screws right over the existing stud. The bullet style is on my website, i havent posted a pic of the skull yet. They are priced at $4 each, or $7 for two.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why would you want to get rid of it anyways......I think the rear whiper is very handy and looks good on the xB?
Old 01-28-2004, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by dinkjs
Why would you want to get rid of it anyways......I think the rear whiper is very handy and looks good on the xB?
If you've got a sub in the back, the wiper rattles like a cheap dealer license plate frame. I don't really hear it when I'm inside the car but it's pretty obvious from the outside.

Also, I like the clean exterior. I'm not a 'load my car up with flea-market or Kragen accessories' type. I love the look of the back of this box:

Old 01-28-2004, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Leave it to Randode to have EVERYTHING.
That cat's alway's thinkin.

How do you open that hatch again? (reference "clean look" picture above)
It must be remote operated. That doesn't look too tricky actually since the solenoid on the back hatch is already electronic.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

It's been done before... but...

http://jacks-gear.com/Merchant2/merc..._Code=AntBalls

:D
Old 01-31-2004, 11:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Yah but ...

...I think of the wiper as kinda like the little tail in the back of the moo. I need that tail!
Old 01-31-2004, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

LOl. Yeah, Dulcimoo, now the challenge is figuring out how to add a little tuft of hair to the end that would stand up to the rain and wiping...

I laugh every time I see the title to this thread *(De-wiping my XB's rear). I automatically think, "Ummmm... toilet paper is good for that."
Old 09-01-2004, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

has anyone taken the shaft off yet?
Old 09-01-2004, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

look up a username Piston. He has removed everything from the back of his and it looks great.

Great person too. I emailed him with questions about this subject and he was very helpful.

I plan to remove the entire rear wiper assembly when I get my box and after seeing his done, I'm even more sure.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

very easy to remove the motor....open the hatch and look up...there's i believe 6 rivet thangs around the bottom part of the hatch and one in the middle...pop them out with a flat head screwdriver....be careful the middle one is a _____...

then pull that cover away to reveal the motor's THREE 10mm nuts....undo them and the wiring harness attached to it, flip that black rubber grommet jaunt out, flip it around and reinstall, then shove a quarter in the hole on the outside to prevent leakage

very simple i'll see if i can't get pics of the whole 5 min mod in a couple days i have to find my digi cam's link cable...:-D

Jeff
Old 09-01-2004, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xboxPS2
very easy to remove the motor....open the hatch and look up...there's i believe 6 rivet thangs around the bottom part of the hatch and one in the middle...pop them out with a flat head screwdriver....be careful the middle one is a _____...

Jeff
your right the middle one is a _____ i couldnt wait to do it and saw how easy it was to remove the motor , so i actually did it my self ,thanks though for the replies :D
Old 09-01-2004, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Or spend an outrageous amount of money and order a wiperless hatch from Japan, where the wiper is optional instead of standard. Have some of that (silly) JDM status.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I did the flush mount camera mod , to fill the hole and it helps when backing up, changing lanes and tailgaters

Old 09-01-2004, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by Toy xbox
I did the camera mod , to fill the hole and it helps when backing up, changing lanes and tailgaters

Dave, the camera mod is sweet. If I wasnt such a tight ___, I would do that to my xB.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Thanks Randode,

Hey how is AZ? I might be going to visit my folks in Sun City this weekend... anything happening out there Saturday night?

Tell Kristal hello, and still diggin the bB overlay you hooked me up with! (BUY RANDODE RACING PRODUCTS) also if anyone out in AZ is seriously interested in a great tires rims and spring strut package let me know and I will see if it is possible to hook someone up while I am there... https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=257602
Old 09-01-2004, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by Toy xbox
Thanks Randode,

Hey how is AZ? I might be going to visit my folks in Sun City this weekend... anything happening out there Saturday night?

Tell Kristal hello, and still diggin the bB overlay you hooked me up with! (BUY RANDODE RACING PRODUCTS) also if anyone out in AZ is seriously interested in a great tires rims and spring strut package let me know and I will see if it is possible to hook someone up while I am there... https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=257602
dude, we hit the Pavilions car show in Scottsdale every week. usually about 10-15 Scions. You should roll with us. Sun City is 5 minutes from my house.

Quick Reply: De-wiping my xBs Rear