Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Don't like your front license plate... move it!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

Default Don't like your front license plate... move it!

I don't know about you guys, but I hate having a front license plate. The thing is here in Utah it is illegal to not have one. The law states that it must be "mounted" and "visible", so it is still illegal to have it sitting in your windshield. So I took mine off, stuck some velcro on the back of it and stuck it on my passenger side visor. Now when I'm in "cop town" I just flip it down and I have a "mounted", "visible" front license plate To fill the two holes on the bumper I just went the a truck stop and picked up some chrome spikes
Old 01-25-2006, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but some states (NY) you cant have it in the window. it has to be solid mounted to the bumper.

run a search on license plate relocation bracket. its very popular

-Paul
Old 01-25-2006, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup... In Cali, "mounted" means mounted to the body. Anywhere in the window doesn't count.

-THE DON
Old 01-25-2006, 03:06 AM
5 Year Member

i used a mount from autozone....ish a bracket cost around 7-9 bucks...dont remember...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...o/IMG_2276.jpg

How do U like JDm?
Old 01-25-2006, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member

In the 9 years that I have been driving. All 7-8 of my vehicles I have remove any license plates from the front and never had a problem. This is in Texas however.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

What I do is I pull the bumper skin off and glue some hihg power magnets inside the bumper where I want the plate. I then take and glue a sheet of steel to the back of my plate and they coat it with something that won't scratch the paint.

This makes for a license plate you can drive around with every day and then just pull off when you are parked and showing off your ride.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well here in florida you dont have to have the license in the front... only problem is... is when you move from a state that requires it and the dealership drilled the holes for it... lol so that is why i am going the more expensive route and getting a body kit that puts a whole new bumper on the front so the holes go bye bye!!! haha
Old 01-25-2006, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats a good idea, I'm living in Florida right now but plan on moving to CA/OR in about 5 months. What kits have you found so far with a spot for the license plate?
Old 01-25-2006, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

here take a look in my thread and tell me which one you think is better!!! i need some in put!!!

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=102793
Old 01-26-2006, 03:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here in NJ I need to have one up front. I just made a bracket out'a aluminum for it. Not sure if it'll hurt cooling, but it's mounted in the center of the lower grill.

To keep from drilling into the bumper, I sandwiched the honey comb (using foam rubber to protect the grill.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i lived in utah my whole life and got my tc last aug. ever since i got my car, i never got pull over or got a ticket from cops cus i dont have the front plate on my car. lucky i guess or whatever.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here in Jersey they'll give you warnings, but a buddy of mine got a ticket after several warnings. Basicaly, I'd rather not give the police another reason to stop me!
Old 12-14-2006, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Velocitas
In the 9 years that I have been driving. All 7-8 of my vehicles I have remove any license plates from the front and never had a problem. This is in Texas however.
Thats why I love Texas. The cops here let you get away with ANYTHING.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to resurrect the thread, but I have a question for those of you who've moved it:

what did you use to plug the original holes in your bumper? The sadists at Schaumburg Scion simply drilled into the plastic, and if I move it I'll have hideous holes. Any suggestions?

I've been hoping someone would back in to me or slam on the brakes and solve the problem that way, but no luck. ;) (KIDDING, if my Allstate rep is reading this thread)
Old 04-04-2008, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

^ You can buy plastic plugs from Home Depot and paint em with touchup paint. I actually have a new set drying on my table as we speak. I'll post pics when I get em put on.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fantastic! That would be most helpful. What's the technical name of the product, if you don't mind? I can think of something the plugs could technically be down just about every aisle. Was it plumbing, gardening, or electrical?

I really appreciate this; it's been driving me insane literally since I bought the car. Now I've got a show coming up and I'm REALLY itching to take care of this.

BTW, since you mention touch-up paint...do those touch-up pens really work or am I better off with a Sharpie? ;) I'm sooo new at paint issues.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

The pens work great. Use the brush side though. If you're careful, it'll look good, don't forget primer and clearcoat too though.

The plugs are in the nuts and bolts aisle. Just sorta eyeball it and find one that looks like it will fit.

What show's coming up?
Old 04-05-2008, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i got stopped cuz my car didnt have 1 at all but the dealer never put it on they gave it to me n i didnt kno si im goin to court n tell em the dealer didnt do it
Old 04-05-2008, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by burstaneurysm
^ You can buy plastic plugs from Home Depot and paint em with touchup paint. I actually have a new set drying on my table as we speak. I'll post pics when I get em put on.
Yup, heres the Toyo p/n...

and the Lowes

Toyos cost more but are smaller. Lowes, easy to get anytime, and cheaper. Use touch up paint as stated before and you're golden. Use a few coats. Only thing is you need to drill the holes out bigger around a 1/4" IIRC.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Ebay! It think the bracket was like $10

Quick Reply: Don't like your front license plate... move it!