Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Fab Body Kit from Extreme Dimensions... AAAAHHHH

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Fab Body Kit from Extreme Dimensions... AAAAHHHH

Well, I got my Fab body kit from E.D. today, and it's a piece of crap to get on. Kit is made well, but I've spent the last 6 hours trying to get the front on, but it's damn near impossible. You have to remove the rebar, which I refuse to do because it's not safe AT ALL... so I've been trying to modify the brackets that the rebar attaches to to raise the bar... well, that's a pain in the rear, and I had to stop and put the stock front on because I have no more time today. Never in my life has it taken this hard to get a kit on a car.
Second complaint... the rear bumper has a spot for the license plate... whoever designed it, is a retard because our license plate is already on the hatch... SO... I'm going to spend the next week or 2 filling that hole, and cutting the back out of it because THAT piece won't fit on without removing the rear rebar. ____!
I'm not even going to try the side skirts, so they may be up for sale soon...
Old 04-26-2006, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

uuuummm its a jap design kit, the Bb doesnt have a plate spot in the hatch like us. but have fun trying to put it together, im still lookin for a kit thats worth it.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Im thinkin you shoulda known that kit was a JDM fit and not USDM and maybe you shoulda checked into looking at the rear bumper. Its obvious there is a license plate spot there....
Old 04-26-2006, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

complaining about something you should of researched....
Old 04-26-2006, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

*should HAVE researched

I didn't really look at the rear, only the front... I guess that is my fault. The rear won't be hard to fix... dad does body work and has taught me some stuff, and this isn't my first body kit by any means.
As far as it being a JDM kit... do the JDM cars not have rebars? If not... it must be because Japanese never get into accidents. haha.

Anyone have any tips on the front end?
Old 04-26-2006, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks like you should have done A LOT of research before placing your order or even considering modifying your xB.

The xB we have here in the states is equivalent to the second generation bB in Japan. The first generation bB is what the kit you purchased was designed to fit. Those cars had different front and rear bumpers.

Beyond that... I just have to ask... why in the world would you spend so much money on a body kit and not even know what the heck it actually looked like?!
Old 04-26-2006, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by RTon20s
Looks like you should have done A LOT of research before placing your order or even considering modifying your xB.

The xB we have here in the states is equivalent to the second generation bB in Japan. The first generation bB is what the kit you purchased was designed to fit. Those cars had different front and rear bumpers.

Beyond that... I just have to ask... why in the world would you spend so much money on a body kit and not even know what the heck it actually looked like?!

^^^^ right.

you should have researched to see if this kit would fit.
anyone would have told you that you would need to remove the 10mph crash bar.
and that it was for a Gen 1 bB (ie: lic in the bumper)

the fault is all on you. the kit/design is right for what it was meant for, a gen 1 bB
Old 04-26-2006, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you considered returning the kit and going with one that's less time consuming to fit to the car? Per the Extreme Dimesions website, this kit is for a Scion xB 04-06 and their "installation difficulty meter" (makes me chuckle just thinking about it) states that it shouldn't require extensive mods to fit. I would argue that having to remove the crash bar qualifies as an extensive modification.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

have fun trying to get it on!
Old 04-27-2006, 02:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I didn't order it from E.D.... I ordered it from AndysAutoSport... and they told me guaranteed fitment. Well, i guess that went out the window. I knew what the front looked like, as well as the rear, I guess I just didn't pay attention to it, or even think that the rebar would need to be removed.

When I got the kit, I started taking things apart and getting ready to fit and drill holes where needed. Well, I THEN read the little letter from E.D. saying that to fit the body kit, rebar removal might be necessary and the parts are for off road/show use only. haha.

Well, I have about 1/16-1/8 left to remove from the front rebar bracket so that the bracket sits higher... i'm EXTREMELY close to having the front fit without removing the bar. Without that bar, your insurance might be reluctant to cover damage caused from an accident. Even though I'm modifying the bracket, the bar will still be there and will help in the instance of an accident.

As for the rear bumper, I am also in the process of modifying to fit. I am removing the indentation for the license plate and glassing the area in, then filling and smoothing.

Like I said before, this isn't my first kit, (I've had 4 other cars with kits, a '00 Eclipse GT, '97 Stratus, '00 Alero, and '99 Stratus), I just didn't know what I was getting into when I got this particular one. I was about to get the Octane kit from AAS, but I didn't like that it looked so stock... then again, it would've been a hell of a lot easier to install.

thanks for the help? I am determined to get this front on tonight...
Old 04-27-2006, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

When I installed my front FAB, I moved the rebar down using only 1 bolt on each side to make it fit. The bB only uses 2 bracket while the xB uses 4. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It'd be hot if you shaved the rear hatch and mounted the rear plate on the bumper Good luck with the install, it sounds like you're well on your way.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well sports fans... it's on. I modified the brackets until they could be modified no more... and I found out that the line running to the AC Condenser was a main problem... so I had to attach the passenger side first... it's held on by 1 ziptie (I have more in the glovebox just in case). There is about a 1/8-1/4" gap between the bumper and the fender.
The driver's side didn't want to cooperate once the pass. side was attached, I pushed, pulled, and lifted as far as I could and I cracked a very small section of the bumper inside the fender/headlight area... it's still attached and easily fixable, that is, if I decide not to just dremel it off. The driver's side also has a 1/8-1/4" gap between the bumper and the fender. I did however, drill a hole in the one "finger support" as I call it (the tab on the top of the bumper under the grille) and have a screw in that one (driver's) and I also drilled a hole in the center tab and put the push clip in it.
The thing is SOLID!!!

You may be asking WTF is this guy doing with an unpainted kit that's not completely fitted, and no, I'm not a "ricer"... well, it may appear that way now, BUT... I want the bumper to flex and get used to temperature changes while on the car... AND I have a pair of VIS bullet fenders on their way to me. heh. I figure the new fenders should help with the gap I have between the bumper and current fenders right now.

Anyone have any experience with the VIS fenders?
Old 04-27-2006, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You damn ricer!! JK, glad your having luck with the project and post some pics when your ready.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Kreationz
SL Member

For my Charge Speed kit I had to remove the front and rear safety bar thingys! I had a friend who welds, frabricate me some new ones. Its simple, would post pics but my digi broke, but I will be present at the Scion Evo carshow in Irwindale on Sunday so feel free to check me out there!
Old 04-27-2006, 01:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Glad everything is coming along well for you. Post pics soon. PEACE.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

do you have the carge speed mounted on your car where can I see pictures of your ride?
Old 04-27-2006, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Thank god you didnt get the AAS Octane kit! I have it and its total garbage. The fitment is horrible!!!
Old 04-27-2006, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

or my kit dang they have had my car for a month and a half
Old 04-27-2006, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

or my kit dang they have had my car for a month and a half