Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Has anyone installed a permanent Yakima rack.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Has anyone installed a permanent Yakima rack.

Just bought a cool roof top tent that opens off the back of my xB. All is fine except the tent needs to go back another 12 inches so the hatch can open without hitting the ladder. Can't really do that with the Q-tower rack and so I need to go with a permanent rack. Yakima has two options, but I think the tracks are the best option since they allow you to easily move the rack for other purposes. I'm wondering if anyone has installed these tracks, where you placed them, if you've had any problems, etc. Thanks!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:03 PM

bump
Old 02-04-2013, 12:44 AM

Default yak track

i used 72'' long track bolted through my roof.(got it from RERACK in PDX) i removed my headliner and used 1 1/4'' fender washers underneath for extra pull through strength. i also went with 3 cross bars because i haul alot of weight up top( so far about 500lbs). if using a roof top tent i would recomend using 3 cross bars. our roofs are pretty thin sheetmetal, and start to flex with only a couple hundred pounds. mount the track as far as you can to the outer edge of the roof because there is more structure there. parts list for me was;
6 @ yakima landing pads #1
6@ yakima control towers
4 @ yakima lock cylinders
2 @ 72" long track ( yakima's longest track is 60'', but i got 72'' from RERACK in PDX).
lots of $$$, but a far, far superior system to the yak q towers
Old 02-16-2013, 05:40 AM

Default yak rack pics

here are some pics of my yak rack with the permanent track. it's a slick setup, it can be removed in under a minute.
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone installed a permanent Yakima rack.-dscf0240-1024x768-.jpg   Has anyone installed a permanent Yakima rack.-dscf0242-1024x768-.jpg   Has anyone installed a permanent Yakima rack.-dscf0241-1024x768-.jpg  
Old 02-16-2013, 05:20 PM

Is there a way to mount the rail on the black weather strip area at all?
Old 02-16-2013, 06:50 PM

I'm sure somebody who is creative enough with fab skills, welder and access to a machine shop ect, ect could make a mount to fit in or over the black rubber stripping, the roof is stronger in that area. Yes, i thought about mounting the track over the rubber stripping as well but realisticly it's a no go. I'm not aware of any company who makes a mount that will fit there. if you remove the rubber stripping ( it pops in and out easy) you can see the structural body channel seam, you really don't want to do any drilling into that. Also on the under side of the roof there are alot of welded flange seams and there is just not enough room for any mounting hardware underneath, plus i think that water and rust getting in the channel might be a issue. So i mounted my track in the only space that was available underneath.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by whodastchrome
I'm sure somebody who is creative enough with fab skills, welder and access to a machine shop ect, ect could make a mount to fit in or over the black rubber stripping, the roof is stronger in that area. Yes, i thought about mounting the track over the rubber stripping as well but realisticly it's a no go. I'm not aware of any company who makes a mount that will fit there. if you remove the rubber stripping ( it pops in and out easy) you can see the structural body channel seam, you really don't want to do any drilling into that. Also on the under side of the roof there are alot of welded flange seams and there is just not enough room for any mounting hardware underneath, plus i think that water and rust getting in the channel might be a issue. So i mounted my track in the only space that was available underneath.
Gotcha. Thanks.