Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

I HATE my paint!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scinergy

Default I HATE my paint!!!!!

Dont get my wrong, I love my box, but the paint on these things is rediculous, I have never seen a car that you could look at funny and have the paint scratch. I have allready had three scratces down to the metal since March!!!
Old 07-13-2005, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

if it makes u feel any better..I've been driving for 6 years...never hit anything in my life (not on accident anyways) but since I got my box in Dec, I have hit a Big Rig tire tread in the middle of the highway in LA...numerous little bastard scratches have shown up, and most recently I hit a deer...F'ed it ALLL up...hood, fender, bumper, grille, headlight...ALL replaced...yeah...I feel ur pain brotha
Old 07-13-2005, 05:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe a couple coats of clearcoat? maybe that would help. Sux, but its a $13k car...
Old 07-13-2005, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea... try having a BSP :/

____ing everything shows a scratch... i swear i bought the car...a nd brought it home... and there was a scratch on the drivers door
Old 07-13-2005, 05:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

New paint coming soon for me
Old 07-13-2005, 06:08 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

if it makes you feel any better......i have one scratch down to the polyurethane on the front bumper where it fell off the front crash bar onto the ground when i was clearing the heads. Not noticable though....but still a scratch
Old 07-13-2005, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ChiTowntC
yea... try having a BSP :/

flippin' everything shows a scratch... i swear i bought the car...a nd brought it home... and there was a scratch on the drivers door

amen to that.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member

Originally Posted by Prototype_xB
if it makes you feel any better......i have one scratch down to the polyurethane on the front bumper where it fell off the front crash bar onto the ground when i was clearing the heads. Not noticable though....but still a scratch
I did amost the same thing but my front bumber got hung up on the headlight and it chipped the corner that got hung up on the light.

one morning I was washing the box and I have a 2 step ladder that I use to get up on to wash the roof well I moved it ever so slightly and touched the rear corner of the driver side skirt and it chipped the paint
Old 07-13-2005, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TCM rules. That is all.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, TCM rules! And I have read that it is the only 3-layer paint proccess availible on the xB (or any other scion for that matter)

All other colors is are a two- stage paint proccess.....
Old 07-13-2005, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i barely tapped a shopping cart while backing out of a parking spot. i now have 2 long white scratches on the side of my rear bumper! for comparison, i backed into a pole in my black 89 mustang once and it didn't even leave a mark! i swear, it's ridiculous that scion can't throw in an extra layer of paint. it sure as hell wouldn't cost them but a couple extra cents i'm sure.

and don't even think about rubbing out any spots out of the paint with anything other than microfiber or you will leave scratches and swirls on your bsp. i hope a layer of wax will help out a bit.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

welcome to 2003 woot!
Old 07-13-2005, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

An extra layer or 10 isn't going to help when you slam it into things or slam things on it. At almost 40K miles over 18 months, mine has no swirls and the few scratches are mostly accounted for and weren't caused by Toyota's paint process.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i didn't slam into anything with my tc. i simply grazed the shopping cart with my car. i swear, i didn't even feel it hit. it wasn't til i finished backing out that i realized the cart was there. later when i got home i saw the scratches.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

its yellow!!! lol
Old 07-13-2005, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fastandcurious
i didn't slam into anything with my tc. i simply grazed the shopping cart with my car. i swear, i didn't even feel it hit. it wasn't til i finished backing out that i realized the cart was there. later when i got home i saw the scratches.
So you scraped a metal shopping cart with sharp little edges everywhere and you're suprised the car is scratched?
Old 07-13-2005, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My TCM has faired much better than my RS2. BUT the littlest things that are able to make these scratches SUCK!

You can clearly see the RS2's metal from a rock chip and there are NO layers!!! It looks like one clear and one paint on metal. Kinda cheap IMO.

My TCM has held up better with small scratches than the RS2.

But again...out of 17 cars this is the WORST paint job we've ever had on a car!!!
Old 07-13-2005, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got a scratch today. The first one. My mate backed the Chrysler and did not look.
"hell, you never park your car -there-"
ahhhh but this is why I got a freakin' YELLOW car[

It's a flesh wound only. The Chrylser's exhaust tip punctured the plastic. That big upper panel is the only damaged item. No scratches to the paint, only a hole.

Q: Can I get a new cover all pre-painted? Or does the local dealer have to do that?

I would like to make the fix myself if I can get the bumper fascia in hand ready to install.

Advise me, anyone. Thanks

Those are red altezza tails I have been meaning to show here on the forum. Got them from Vertex Racing, $84 delivered. Minor fitting problem from one of them: the studs were not quite square and did not poke through the holes in the sheet metal. Had to nibble the metal. No sin in that. JDM quality control for aftermarket parts not perfect .

dang dings doooooom! I know who's gonna pay for the repair.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont think you can get a new cover pre-painted.

I would let a body shop handle it- and of course your "mates" insurance!
Old 07-13-2005, 10:40 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ouch!

Sorry to see the hurt RS2, SciFly!

Poor thing needs some care...

====

On Scion (and current Toyota) paint in general: Much of it is a 'primerless' application - just a finish coat and clearcoat over it. This makes the overall paint thickness very thin, and appears to make it more fragile than the more traditional primer/color/clear painting.

In spite of the paint manufacturer's and vehicle manufacturer's claims, the toughness, flexibility and bonding to the underlying metal does NOT seem as good with the newer formulations as it was with the old.

(On my xB the bodyshop painted panels are holding up much better than the factory painted panels...)

Quick Reply: I HATE my paint!!!!!