Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

LOUD

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Question LOUD

So I have 110k miles on my 2005 xB now... and I'm finally annoyed with the engine noise at 4k RPM on the interstate. I need to do something about it.

I filled up some voids with fiberglass insulation and 'great stuff' for some sound deadening and literally eliminated 90% of road noise, but the engine is still droning on and on.

Can I add another muffler somewhere to make it quieter? Maybe wrap my headers in something, like that heat-wrap? Tack more fiberglass under my hood? I don't want to coat my entire interior with dynamat or anything like that, as it's not the interior stuff vibrating or creating a huge echo chamber (like in my AE86 now that my interior is gutted). I don't have a subwoofer or anything - this car is my daily driver. I've put 50k miles on it in a little over a year and I can't take another minute of the drone!

Also that little stock chrome tip on the ___ of my exhaust - does it make it noisier? ...it looks like it could have something to make it buzzier inside, but if I remove it it might melt my bumper, so I don't want to try.

...Thanks in advance.
Garrett
Old 09-07-2009, 03:09 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the tip does not make it any more noisier...

and is your still stock?

you can add a 12 inch cherry bomb (resonator) to your system
Old 09-07-2009, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Yea, it's all stock. I was wondering where I should put the additional resonator? Will it make it quieter inside if I put it further up the system (closer to exhaust manifold)?

...Maybe I should just replace the entire stock resonator with something quieter?

Haha, I know this is the opposite direction most people go when complaining about exhaust.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2009, 05:25 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just put the 12 inch resonator in the s-bend between the stock resonator and the axle back
Old 09-07-2009, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

thanks much I'll try that and let you all know how it sounds.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

LOL you would so hate my car....
Old 09-08-2009, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Mine sounds great!...
Old 09-08-2009, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sciond
LOL you would so hate my car....
You have yet to hear mine
Old 09-08-2009, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

personally I'll just grin and bear it. turn up the radio. i have 141,000 on my car and i drive it all over. i got use to it. and i have a pretty worn (broken in the way i like it) Strup V2.0 and yeah its loud.. and since your stock it should be whisper quiet compared to the others that have exhaust and what not.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Well... I have a loud car... my AE86 is loud and I enjoy it. I used to have a Camry as my daily... Old people t-boned me so being a loyal Toyota customer I bought an xB, after driving the Camry so long I got used to a quiet car.
...My xB doesn't bother me for a few hours at a time, but when I'm driving 8 hours straight my ears start ringing etc...

I just got back from the exhaust shop... they wouldn't do it They said there wasn't enough space. But I know there is... if they don't want my money I'll pay someone else to do it.

So... no answer to quietness yet.

Thanks for replys though
Old 09-10-2009, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Couldnt you just Dynomat the whole inside of your car? We did it to a Big Block Nova, with electric Cut-outs. Quietest place near the car, was in the car itself. Outside of the car, sounded like the end of the world. But inside. Couldn't even hear it. (just feel it from the large cam)
Old 09-10-2009, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

That crossed my mind as well. When I dynomatted my truck I had 4 years ago, it didn't help cancel any engine noise. Road noise was null, but the motor still was kind of obnoxious.

Also I don't really want to spend $500 on dynomat especially for a car that already has 110k miles and a royally f*d front bumper - stupid box is so anti-aerodynamic i pick up every bug and rock in existence. Maybe though...
Old 09-10-2009, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is expensive. I won't deny that. But try using two layers. Dynashield and Xtremliner, you have better chances of keeping all the sounds out. And if planning on doing a stereo set up. It keeps the sounds in.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Well, no exhaust shop that I can find will ADD a resonator. I had one replace my stock resonator with a universal one, it's not a stright-through one like the OEM one, it's slightly quieter, but I still need less noise. There really isn't much of a place to put more resonators, there's like 2 5" sections of stright pipe and nobody will route pipe around before the final muffler (like a CRX exhaust)... they say there's too many electronics that could get fried from the extra heat.

Has anyone tried anything that's clamp on? ...I realize that's not the most secure method, but I have a sawzall...
Old 09-16-2009, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by Fisqual
That crossed my mind as well. When I dynomatted my truck I had 4 years ago, it didn't help cancel any engine noise. Road noise was null, but the motor still was kind of obnoxious.
I take it you did the floor/doors/ and ceiling, but forgot to do where the road noise comes from, the firewall...

Originally Posted by Fisqual
I realize that's not the most secure method, but I have a sawzall...
By far my new favorite quote on SL
Old 09-16-2009, 08:09 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mind you this is an economy car and not a lexus or any other high end luxury cars
Old 09-16-2009, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

LOL, No I did the WHOLE thing. Behind the dash too. Hell I even jammed fiberglass batting up behind my dash - in the truck AND the xB. It helped a little, but mostly vs road noise.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I know... I'm crazy though. I'd prefer an economy car over a fancy car any day. I'm not blaming Toyota for the car being loud - hell the marketability for young people probably increased because it sounds the way it does. I still prefer the xB sound over the Echo, because it's at least not as scrapey sounding. I just drive 40k miles a year and now I'm a bitter old man that wants a quiet economy car. I'm the kind of asshat that wants to have his cake and eat it too. I admit it, but my obstinance usually gets me what I want in the end. ^_^

I WILL MAKE THIS CAR AS QUIET AS MY CAMRY WAS.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member

i wonder if a yaris muffler will fit. I also hate the noise, all i want to hear is the radio.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by zoogee
i wonder if a yaris muffler will fit. I also hate the noise, all i want to hear is the radio.
ya know, they make a little **** on the radio for that same purpose!

Quick Reply: LOUD