Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Power lift hatch

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 01:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Power lift hatch

Does anyone know what would have to be done to have a power lift hatch so that you can open and close your rear with a remote?

Mark
Old 10-30-2003, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Power lift hatch

Originally Posted by Vegasscion
Does anyone know what would have to be done to have a power lift hatch so that you can open and close your rear with a remote?

Mark
Well, that's a bit of an engineering project. You'll need two linear actuators to replace the gas springs. You'll also need a Cadillac style "pulling latch" to allow positive latching upon closure. You'll probably have to relocate the pivot points of the actuators to provide better leverage for opening.

George
Old 10-30-2003, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Damn all that work....it looks like im going to leave mine the way it is....I just thought it would be nice to have the back open like the new chrysler pacifica does

Mark
Old 10-30-2003, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i think u can have it pop open (crack open) with some aftermarket motorswitch...but since our xB already has a actuator switch...unlike conventional key lock ...maybe there's a way to work that out...

someone who works for auto alarm install places should know... and i'm assuming if u can place another motor to act as a catalyst for the push open action...the trunk lid two air compressed arms can do the rest of the work and lift the tailgate?
Old 10-30-2003, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlueBox
i think u can have it pop open (crack open) with some aftermarket motorswitch...but since our xB already has a actuator switch...unlike conventional key lock ...maybe there's a way to work that out...
The problem isn't opening, it is getting the door to positively close. I suppose that you could pull it shut with the actuators, but that would put a lot of stress on the hatch and you'd then have to "relax" the actuators.

I don't have much experience with air cylinders, but you'd have to have a lot of pressure to make them work in the available space.

someone who works for auto alarm install places should know... and i'm assuming if u can place another motor to act as a catalyst for the push open action...the trunk lid two air compressed arms can do the rest of the work and lift the tailgate?
You could do that simply by repositioning the pivots of the air springs and installing a small actuator to push the door open until the air springs take over. However, this wouldn't be able to close the door.

George
Old 10-31-2003, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i'd be happy with the hatch's ability to open on its own... closing it would be secondary...

this would be a nice feature if the whole thing can be installed for under $150
Old 10-31-2003, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe you get the closing system off the new 4runner. When you set it down very softly it automatically pulls it self shut. So if you put actuators on the door when it barely touched the bottom the latch would pull itself shut. Just a idea.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Power lift hatch

Originally Posted by George
Originally Posted by Vegasscion

Mark
Well, that's a bit of an engineering project. You'll need two linear actuators to replace the gas springs. You'll also need a Cadillac style "pulling latch" to allow positive latching upon closure. You'll probably have to relocate the pivot points of the actuators to provide better leverage for opening.

George
i agree. closing = cadillac style pull-latch

l. garcia
Old 10-31-2003, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'd be happy with the hatch's ability to open on its own... closing it would be secondary...

this would be a nice feature if the whole thing can be installed for under $150
Well, then you'd just need to install a hefty spring to pop the door open a few inches as soon as the latch is triggered. I don't know what this would do to latch life, though.

George
Old 10-31-2003, 07:44 AM
5 Year Member

Lazy Bastards!!! :lol:
Old 10-31-2003, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WhiteToaster
Lazy Bastards!!! :lol:
Well, I'm kind of bothered by the lack of a mechanical method of opening the hatch. It will be a pain if the electrical latch fails. I guess that Toyota saved a couple of bucks by not putting in a lock cylinder.

George
Old 10-31-2003, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

get a set of "door poppers". you know the spring loaded pins that you use with shaved doors. Put 2 of those in the door jamb, and wire the rear hatch solenoid to your alarm trunk button. then when u hit the button it will pop open a couple inches and u just have to lift it up.
Old 11-01-2003, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try the new Sienna's rear hatch parts.