Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Rain on the xB and the Factory Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member

Default Rain on the xB and the Factory Spoiler

Now that the rain is falling at a significant rate here in NorCal, my xB w/o spoiler gets its rear window all full of water/mud drops really quickly. Looking at the factory spoiler, it would appear that it might help to keep the rear window clear by directing air flow down against the rear of the vehicle--without turning on the wiper every 30 seconds.

Anybody out there got any ideas, or experience with this?

Thanks,

BB
Old 12-07-2003, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hmmm....

That explains why they put a wiper back there. I never had to use it and in So. Cali it doesnt rain much.. I think a spoiler may help out. Id like to here more on this topic.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the spoiler on mine, and i drove it in the rain once, and it seemed like i had to turn on the wiper about every 30 seconds...so i don't think it helps that much...but it sure looks alot better than without one!
Old 12-07-2003, 05:15 AM

badwinger , where are you located? I just left Tracy in a bad rain storm! The spoiler on mine actually did help, I didn't need to have the back wiper on consistantly. Just once every 20mins. I drove from Tracy to San Jose, just pouring Rain!

Old 12-07-2003, 05:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I think the spoiler helps alot...Its been raining in Sacramento off and on for the past 2 weeks and I haven't been using the rear wiper at all...its definately worth the money in my opinion
Old 12-07-2003, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by scionracerxb
i have the spoiler on mine, and i drove it in the rain once, and it seemed like i had to turn on the wiper about every 30 seconds...so i don't think it helps that much...but it sure looks alot better than without one!

Are you saying my car looks like crap?
Old 12-07-2003, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

eeeasy denny, don't get your panties in a bunch...i know some peeps prefer the cleaner look of no spoiler.. ..but i wuv mine....i think it completes the car.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:07 PM

you mean it doesn't add the 10 HP I was promised at the dealer? Dam sales people! I mean, I'm cool,I have a spoiler! Has anyone got the "fabulous spoiler" yet?

Old 12-09-2003, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Who needs rear wipers anyway.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Rainex

just put some rainex on like once or twice a month and your set.

drove thru a thunderstorm w/o wipers and only rainex for 2 hours.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Rain on the xB and the Factory Spoiler

Originally Posted by badwinger
Now that the rain is falling at a significant rate here in NorCal, my xB w/o spoiler gets its rear window all full of water/mud drops really quickly. Looking at the factory spoiler, it would appear that it might help to keep the rear window clear by directing air flow down against the rear of the vehicle--without turning on the wiper every 30 seconds.

Anybody out there got any ideas, or experience with this?

Thanks,

BB
I doubt that it would make much difference. Even without rain, my rear window is obscured very quickly on wet pavement. It's a function of the very short rear end of the xB.

Some vehicles use a deflector that directs air from above the vehicle down across the rear window.
this supposedly keeps the road wash spray of the window. The xB spoiler would do the opposite of this.

I am far from happy about that cheezy plastic wiper arm. Mine chatters on the retract stroke, and the best the washer can do is a pathetic dribble. I would have been happier if they had left the thing off. Anyone come across a decent metal replacement arm that will fit the rear?

George
Old 01-22-2004, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it hardly rained in so cal, but on the few occasions that it did I applied rainx to my back window. It really helped when I was driving on the freeway n such. I'd suggest to try out rainx before you get a spoiler. I don't have one, but I think it looks dope with or without wun.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had an interesting experience yesterday. I ran over a page of newspaper at about 50MPH and, looking at the rear-view, I was amazed to see it going straight up behind the rear window!

If the car can suck a piece of newspaper up like that, it's a sure thing that it will pull water spray from the tires onto the back window.

A downward deflector might make a difference if mounted above the rear window, but the stock spoiler isn't a deflector.

George
Old 01-26-2004, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The wiper worls like crap....the spoiler does help....
Old 01-29-2004, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm guessing it does help, considering I haven't had any trouble seeing thru the back window when it's raining. Plus, I think the stock wing looks cool. I hate wings, but this one is a nice complement to the body style.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I dont think the wing makes a difference. I think the shape of the car in general allows the dirt to collect on the rear
Old 02-06-2004, 10:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: Rain on the xB and the Factory Spoiler

Originally Posted by George
I doubt that it would make much difference. Even without rain, my rear window is obscured very quickly on wet pavement. It's a function of the very short rear end of the xB.

Some vehicles use a deflector that directs air from above the vehicle down across the rear window.
this supposedly keeps the road wash spray of the window. The xB spoiler would do the opposite of this.

George
actually it does do the same thing .... it forces air down the back of the car (there is a difference in air pressure which draws the air down through the gap between the spoiler and the back of the car ... similar to why a flute or bottle makes sound when you blow over it) preventing a vacuum from being created immediately behind the car as it moves forward which draws all the matter floating around the back