Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Rear Spoiler Mounting Template..

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 04:22 AM
SL Member

Default Rear Spoiler Mounting Template..

So, I may have gotten lucky and scored the OEM mounting hardware that has been discontinued. What it doesn’t come with is the mounting template.
Does anyone have that available for download?

And before I actually use the mounting hardware, I’m going to see if someone can make a file for 3D printing the lower mounting plastic grommets.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-11-2022 at 12:22 AM.
Old 04-30-2021, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Have you looked online for the spoiler installation instructions in a .PDF format online as that may include either the template to print or measurements for mounting the spoiler? TRD Sparks, at one time, had all of the instructions available online but I don't know if they still do.

Which "lower mounting plastic grommets?"
Old 04-30-2021, 04:57 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by MileHightC
Have you looked online for the spoiler installation instructions in a .PDF format online as that may include either the template to print or measurements for mounting the spoiler? TRD Sparks, at one time, had all of the instructions available online but I don't know if they still do.

Which "lower mounting plastic grommets?"

the plastic semi slotted ones
Old 04-30-2021, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Likely going to be next to impossible to get as the "OEM Rear Spoiler Hardware Kit", part number 08150-52867, is discontinued by Toyota and I didn't see that any showed as available within the US. A number of members have installed spoilers using 3M trim tape so they didn't have to drill any holes in their rear hatch.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:01 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by MileHightC
Likely going to be next to impossible to get as the "OEM Rear Spoiler Hardware Kit", part number 08150-52867, is discontinued by Toyota and I didn't see that any showed as available within the US. A number of members have installed spoilers using 3M trim tape so they didn't have to drill any holes in their rear hatch.
You didn’t see any available because I
may have bought the last set earlier this week. If everything goes right, once they are in my hands, I may be working with someone to reproduce the plastic lower mounting grommets. I might try and source everything to reproduce mounting kits.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Low_Kei
You didn’t see any available because I
may have bought the last set earlier this week. If everything goes right, once they are in my hands, I may be working with someone to reproduce the plastic lower mounting grommets. I might try and source everything to reproduce mounting kits.
Pretty good chance that was the case...
Old 04-30-2021, 09:47 PM
SL Member

nah, toyotapartsdeal dot com had one for $17.....bought one just for hek of it.

toyotapartsprime dot com also shows in stock for $17

that was 5 min search on part number 08150-52867......they are still around here and there........templates? dunno......
Old 04-30-2021, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Originally Posted by 04_Toaster

that was 5 min search on part number 08150-52867......they are still around here and there........templates? dunno......
They both show that you can order them but did you actually confirm they had them in stock? I did the same search, in the same five minutes, and I'm guessing they show them on the website but when you order one they're going to come back to you and say that it's not available.

Let us know if and when you actually get it from them.
Old 04-30-2021, 10:13 PM
SL Member

I tried to order from both sites... Placed order and paid. Next day got notifications saying my order was cancelled because part number is discontinued and my money was refunded.

The set I have on the way came from a dealership that found a set in the back.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:50 AM
SL Member

I got tracking email saying delivery 5/5 - 5/10/21 so I guess that means they don't have them. Guess I might get a spoiler if hardware actually shows up.
Old 05-07-2021, 03:08 AM
SL Member

My Spoiler Mounting Kit came in yesterday

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-07-2021 at 03:54 AM.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:40 PM
SL Member

yeah, they cancelled mine too so unless someone starts making them then no spoiler for mine.....not sure I trust tape.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:24 PM
SL Member

I may have a lead in a dealership that has quite a few of them in stock. I’m going to contact them and find out how many they have in inventory
Old 05-07-2021, 11:35 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

yeah, they cancelled mine too so unless someone starts making them then no spoiler for mine.....not sure I trust tape.
As an Engineer (non-automotive) Low_Kei is doing it correctly. Never, Ever use Tape. I don't care how many layers of 3M Tape you put on or How Long You
Claim to have it on. After a certain amount of car washes and rainy seasons, it won't Hold. Always use Hardware. No OEM or Factory Spoilers come tape on.

There is a Reason for that. You do not want to be the Driver behind the Car in front of you when his Spoiler comes loose and flying off towards you & your Windshield.

Do you want to be the person Liable in a Negligence and Personal Injury Lawsuit? Think about That. IMHO, only peeps who do tape are the lazy and the 'Fix everything w/ duct tape' mentality crowd.

Just my .002 cents.

MR LUV

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-08-2021 at 03:19 AM.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:40 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by MR_LUV
As an Engineer (non-automotive) Low_Kei is doing it correctly. Never, Ever use Tape. I don't care how many layers of 3M Tape you put on or How Long You
Claim to have it on. After a certain amount of car washes and rainy seasons, it won't Hold. Always use Hardware. No OEM or Factory Spoilers come tape on.

There is a Reason for that. You do not want to be the Driver behind the Car in front of you when his Spoiler comes loose and flying off towards you & your Windshield.

Do you want to be the person Liable in a Negligent Lawsuit? Think about That. IMHO, only peeps who do tape are the lazy and duct tape mentality crowd.

Just my .002 cents.

MR LUV

As long as you use two bolts on the top mounts, double sided tape across the bottom will be okay for a while. I just have OCD and have to do things the way the factory would have done it.
Old 05-08-2021, 11:54 AM
SL Member

ummm, yeah, I believe in pyramids and castles not grass huts......my ventguards are in channel as well for those same reasons. Now the rear bumper step protector....living dangerously.

Allow me to rephrase.....I do not have a spoiler because I won't trust tape.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Originally Posted by Low_Kei
I may have a lead in a dealership that has quite a few of them in stock. I’m going to contact them and find out how many they have in inventory
If you manage to stumble across any I'd be happy to take one off your hands...with a bit of a "finder's fee" added to it.

I've got a Siebon carbon rear spoiler and it didn't come with any mounting hardware so my choices are buy an OEM wing, which you can actually find relatively cheap these days, or get a hardware kit from you.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:18 AM
SL Member

ummm, yeah, I believe in pyramids and castles not grass huts......my ventguards are in channel as well for those same reasons. Now the rear bumper step protector....living dangerously.

Allow me to rephrase.....I do not have a spoiler because I won't trust tape.
my window vents are held on with real 3M two sided moulding tape and have survived a drive through car wash a few times. Pretty sure it’s fine. Considering any most of the time you find an OEM spoiler in the junkyard, the two lower plastic prongs will break off unless you figure out how to delicately remove it (Even the factory utilizes a little 3M tape), the two top bolts are the main way to secure it.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:42 PM
SL Member

So here’s where it stands now. I may have possibly sourced the rubber well nuts and bolts. I will have to check tomorrow (I have to test the OEM bolts to make sure I source the right size and compare the new ones to the factory ones on both hardware and well nuts). Then the more difficult parts will be sourcing the plastic well clips that the pins on the OEM spoiler slide in to. I either have to find a source for something comparable or find someone to make them. I will keep everyone updated. I also have an idea for making a mounting template.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:13 PM
SL Member

I just secured a source for the delrin slotted grommets. After I check and make sure all the parts are the same as what I got in my kit, I will start putting kits together and offering them here.

Quick Reply: Rear Spoiler Mounting Template..