Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Rear Suicide Doors Project **NEW PICS 26th Updated**

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Rear Suicide Doors Project **NEW PICS 26th Updated**

So far

Man Hours: 18
Parts $500
Whats done: 1 Side moutned opening and strong as hell.
I actually stood on my hinges and moved it around. No prblem holdds 170lbs just fine.

Problems:
1. The first problem people had was getting the door to open. That wasnt a problem
2. The second problem was the door opens to far and hits the rear fender area. Ill use a rubber stopper to keep this from happening later on.
3. **NEW** The window track towards the front of the door run up and down the entire door. Ther eis no possible way to use the stock one. Solution Bearclaw latches. This still doesnt solve the problem with the window track so this means I will have to install the latch into the b-pillar and the striker on the door. Well This should be fun. Parts ordered .... waitting arrival .

**New Pics 26th**

My new latches, right fromt he start I had to modify them to fit into the B pillar.

Only really one flat enough spot to work with for the latch.

Best location also happens to be where the top hinge was bolted in.

This is the problem right here. As you can see the window track is directly behind the striker. This is why the latch couldnt go into the door. I am making a new double thick plate to fill in all the parts i cut out about 3" by 3" piece and I will end up welding the striker in place since I cant get a nut behind the striker.

Also check out my new dash thread in the interior section.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...248103#1248103

**NEW PICS 14th**

Door alignment

Some Nice Shots

See if you can notice some of the 4 feet of structural re-enforment.

Gotta Love the license plate......

OLD PICS

PS this project take alot of time to do becuase I am very busy with work. I only have time to do it when Im not working which is very rare..... So dont be surprised if I dont do anything for a few weeks.

Ok this needs to be said.....

First Im sure most people wont even read this... But to those who do I hope you understand me and where Im coming from.

This is the way I make a living. I work on cars. I modify, trick out, chop, cut, destroy, rebuild, and have fun with cars. I do this every day. I make money doing this. The best weeks at work are the weeks I get to do things to cars that noone else has been able to do or can do. I love it and I hope I can do it for the rest of my life. But I cannot do this for free. Like I said this is my living. This is how I live my life. Im not rich and weathly. My cars would look 1000 times better if I was making tons of money doing this but its what I enjoy so I do it.

With that being said. The suicide doors where said that they could not be done. I did them. Yes I took the time to find the right product. Front all the money. Use my free time to do it. And take the risk of cutting the crap out of my car. Not many people can or would do this. It is not very difficult to do if its SOMETHING YOU DO EVERY DAY. I think it worked out well. Its not prefect becuase of the shape of the car but it is the best that I can do and the best that can be done to this car. I do not think I am the best at what I do, but I do it myself and I take the risk of doing it.

For all those who want to attempt to do this, goodluck. I took a couple months planning, drawings, thinking, spending money, and figuring out what would work. Im sure there is other people that can do this.... but those are the people that can do it without my help what so ever. You know where to get parts, you know where to look for them, how much they cost, what tools your need , what parts you need, and last but not least, simple engineering and design techniques.

And for those of you that dont think you can do it without help. Heres an idea. Either pay someone to do it or come to me, Ill help you out and do it with you... but I want something for it. I mean I love doing it so its no problem to help other people with their cars and make a little money as well.

Im sur eyou guys wonder why I am posting all this and I hope I explained it without offending anyone. I also wanted to point out that no matter what I do or how I do it there is always some Jack -A§§ that wants to pick out crap or critisize everything I do. Those are the people that wont even read this... so to you I give you the 1 finger solute.

Everyone has their little things they can do to give, and help out with the side. I have done alot of those things for this site. I did a alarm/remote start/ keyless "How To". I did a sunroof one, a headliner one. I also from time to time help out people in all the other forums and on AIM. I have no problem doing this.

Just so everyone knows the pictures that are on here are not what the hinges look like..... I did this is 3 hours, the next day went back took it all out and redid everything with 2 hinges and with more re-enforments. The reason I did the single hinge is becuase I wanted to make sure the door would swing open since this is the problem someone else had that last attmepted it. You wouldnt know it but I addded around 30lbs to the car on 1 side. It took over 4 feet of square stock 1/4" steal to re-enforce the hinges enough for my ___ to hang on it thats 170lbs.... People need to realize this isnt a easy task and Im saying all this becuase I dont want everyone to come to me after they attempt it and cant get it to work. Id love to help but like I said before, Im losing money..... Its my living... every person I help could be 1 less paycheck for me.

I hope people understand what I've written and why I am writting this. I still have no problem helping people.. But people that just want and want and want get really annoying. I like people that give and take. I have no problems with them. Someone who helps me out gets all the help they ever need. Ask anyone that has done work with me before. Ive had people spend $25k for me to do work on their boat, or $8k for me to build a fiberglass system in their car.

Thanks James aka SmartAss
AIM: o0osmartasso0o (you get me?))

PS: Im not is school, I do not use spell check dont be a bonehead and try to tell me about something I care less about spelling words right on a car forum.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

finally

looks good keep it up
Old 11-21-2005, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow somebody finally did it Sweet
Old 11-21-2005, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

great job.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:27 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Whoa, keep us posted!
Old 11-21-2005, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great job, can't wait to see it all finalized and finished!
Old 11-21-2005, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member

what hinges are you using?
Old 11-21-2005, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Did you decide to do this because you already had the interior out to get the shopping cart in? And how is the shopping cart project comming? Yeah I heard about all the craziness last sunday that I missed.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

sweet
Old 11-21-2005, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i knew you would take on this job...nice work so far.

can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

As soon as the 1st pic loaded my jaw opened and I was all like NNIICCEE.. Looks good bro..
Old 11-21-2005, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

WOW i have no words for that. its just awesome bro. can we get some pics, of the hinges up close maybe?
Old 11-21-2005, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What I want to see someone do is a rear door Lambo retrofit...Where it would flip towards the rear of the car...incorporated with a front door Lambo kit. That would be a showstopper and we ALL know it!!
LOL. Looks good so far!
Old 11-21-2005, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome... That will look clean when its finished..
Old 11-21-2005, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hate to be the only one coming in here with negative comments, but I feel like I need to.

Is this just the start of what you are planning to do? I mean, from what I can tell you only put a single hinge on the door. And sure, our doors weigh practically nothing. (You realize that every time someone slams the back door.) But a single hinge will never support it in the long run. Yes, even if you do a hole lot of bracing inside of the car.

It is great to see someone tackling this project on the xB. But what I really want to see is detailed pics of the fabrication. End results, and wide shots are fine for the casual enthusiasts. But for guys like me, we want all the details. Right down to the quality of every last tack weld.

I'd love to get the answers to these. Questions. I would love even more to see some of those detail pics.

And for x_rayted711... It is guys like you that made me quit wanting to go to car and truck shows. To me there is nothing worse than seeing row after row of stock vehicles with booming stereos, "lambo doors" and bling bling ghetto wheels.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by RTon20s
I hate to be the only one coming in here with negative comments, but I feel like I need to.

Is this just the start of what you are planning to do? I mean, from what I can tell you only put a single hinge on the door. And sure, our doors weigh practically nothing. (You realize that every time someone slams the back door.) But a single hinge will never support it in the long run. Yes, even if you do a hole lot of bracing inside of the car.

It is great to see someone tackling this project on the xB. But what I really want to see is detailed pics of the fabrication. End results, and wide shots are fine for the casual enthusiasts. But for guys like me, we want all the details. Right down to the quality of every last tack weld.

I'd love to get the answers to these. Questions. I would love even more to see some of those detail pics.

And for x_rayted711... It is guys like you that made me quit wanting to go to car and truck shows. To me there is nothing worse than seeing row after row of stock vehicles with booming stereos, "lambo doors" and bling bling ghetto wheels.
Well at least someone had intelligent questions, As far as the the stability. I am re-enforcing the entire door with 1/4" square stock. I am also adding the second hinge to each side. I only have one becuase like I said, I only spent 3 hours on it today and there is about 6 tack welds on the door and 6 on the car. Its very stable with one becuase the C pillar houses the actualy hindge then the car and I cut it out so it fits perfectly in it. The door has 1 12" bar of 1/4" square stock that does from top to bottom of the door and is welded in both places with 1 tack weld and a bolt going threw it in 2 places to hold it to the door. I dont want to go into detail as of yet becuase its not finished. I will have tons more pics once its done but this is just a sneak peak to the madness going on.

Thanks fro the comments.

PS In my own opinion Lambos look dumb unless its a sports car , even though i have a set of hinges in my garage.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL...I wouldn't do it to MY car...I think Lambo doors are crap and overrated. I was just stating that I think it would be neat to see and am sure it will be the next 'big thing'....until someone actually does it. Then all the followers will do just that.
As far as this guy's project, I am glad to see something different. It looks good! Until there are kits all over and 4 out of 5 xBs are running these doors. It looks good so far and deffinitely not the norm!
Right now, I think it would be innovative and new. PLEASE don't judge ME because YOU don't like something or not. It's all about what I like on MY car that matters to ME. And for your info, I do not have lambo doors (and NEVER will), a booming stereo, or bling bling wheels on my ride. Frankly, I can't afford it! And my car is NOT stock either! LOL. Sorry you don't go to carshows because of these MINOR setbacks, but it is the innovative thinking that gets the trophies! Heck, your username states you, yourself, are on 20's....LOL. To me, 20's = bling bling.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for posting what you are using on it, Smartass. I do have a suggestion or two though. I am by no means saying your set-up won't work. Square tubing is WAY lighter and a lot stronger than 1/4 square stock. also, round tubing is stronger than square tubing. I'm sure you know this already, but wanted to remind you if you forgot. The downside is, it's a little harder to work with. Good luck with it. It looks good so far!
Old 11-22-2005, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Holy sweetness...I hope everything turns out good in the end. I know a few people messed there **** up pretty badly trying it. Good luck to you and your project
Old 11-22-2005, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I think I just got pregnant lookin' at those doors. Flippin' sweet (Napoleon's voice).

Quick Reply: Rear Suicide Doors Project **NEW PICS 26th Updated**