Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...
View Poll Results: DO you have this rust problem
Found Rust in Doors
35.63%
Didnt Find Anyting
64.37%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Rust found on some Scion xB doors

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My box has 1500 miles on it. No rust yet. I saw this post before I completely repainted my PW to custom kandies. While I was doing the paint work I applied a very excellent rust sealer convertor (POR-15)before painting these corners. I hope it doesnt rust out of the seam, since Toyota surely would not want to warrant my custom paint that I applied

A couple people on this thread have made comment about rust convertors. I have been restoring old rusty cars for years and had tried many forms of rust neutralizer/convertor (extend, nutrarust, navel jellies, etc etc etc.). There is one product that stands out above the rest. It is called POR-15. I actually ran a side by side comparison of POR-15 and 3 other products including Extend and Nutrarust and some napa rust convertor on a rusty van roof outside behind my shop. None of these products is truely designed for direct exposure to weather (and particularly sun). The Extend and the POR-15 looked pretty good through 1 year (the other 2 were completely gone). After 1.5 years the Extend area was showing significant rust and was gone after 2 years. After 2 years the POR-15 was still fully intact. 3-4 years later a good bit of the effect of the POR-15 was still evident however it had pretty much failed after this long. I Highly recommend POR-15 for all your neutralization and rust coating needs. Follow all instructions closely, especially recoating instructions as once it is dry it is hard as granite and very hard to get other paints to adhere to. (be extra careful to not get any rust oxide in the can (it will convert the can, acts as a catalyst for the product)...and to make sure the entire lid is spotless before resealing the can (or you may never remove the lid again....a sandwich bag laid on the lid of an open can before sealing it is a good idea as well even if it is spotless)).
The product can be purchased from http://www.por15.com/ as well as a number of resellers. Try it it is awesome.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:14 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by TerribleTed
My box has 1500 miles on it. No rust yet. I saw this post before I completely repainted my PW to custom kandies. While I was doing the paint work I applied a very excellent rust sealer convertor (POR-15)before painting these corners. I hope it doesnt rust out of the seam, since Toyota surely would not want to warrant my custom paint that I applied

A couple people on this thread have made comment about rust convertors. I have been restoring old rusty cars for years and had tried many forms of rust neutralizer/convertor (extend, nutrarust, navel jellies, etc etc etc.). There is one product that stands out above the rest. It is called POR-15. I actually ran a side by side comparison of POR-15 and 3 other products including Extend and Nutrarust and some napa rust convertor on a rusty van roof outside behind my shop. None of these products is truely designed for direct exposure to weather (and particularly sun). The Extend and the POR-15 looked pretty good through 1 year (the other 2 were completely gone). After 1.5 years the Extend area was showing significant rust and was gone after 2 years. After 2 years the POR-15 was still fully intact. 3-4 years later a good bit of the effect of the POR-15 was still evident however it had pretty much failed after this long. I Highly recommend POR-15 for all your neutralization and rust coating needs. Follow all instructions closely, especially recoating instructions as once it is dry it is hard as granite and very hard to get other paints to adhere to. (be extra careful to not get any rust oxide in the can (it will convert the can, acts as a catalyst for the product)...and to make sure the entire lid is spotless before resealing the can (or you may never remove the lid again....a sandwich bag laid on the lid of an open can before sealing it is a good idea as well even if it is spotless)).
The product can be purchased from http://www.por15.com/ as well as a number of resellers. Try it it is awesome.
I used that product to also coat the fenderwell lips after i rolled the fenders lips.. the guys at the paint shop also said it an awsome product
Old 01-04-2007, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have been using this from a Friend and helps with the rust perfectly. I love it. https://www.shaklee.net/now/product/00430 I run a auto detail shop and we use this all the time for clients with rust and for the rims. Does wonders.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member

I did find rust on my driver's side door and also on the wheel locks on my TRD 18s. I live in IL--why is this happening??
Old 02-11-2007, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member

cool thing I found this post

Atl,Ga
2006 polar white xB
11k miles
RUST AT TOP OF DOOR!!!!!

i'm not a body man ,but seams like a little bit of that flexible filler that a lot of car makers use would have cured this problem before it ever happend,,I suppose it got over looked?????
Old 02-19-2007, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had my xB for 6 days now and I have found rust on top of the drivers side door. Its going to the dealer on tuesday have this problem adressed.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member

Found a small rust stain on the passenger door corner on my 05´, I´m in VA. I put clear silicone over all the seams on all the corners, because it looks like that´s where water is getting in or collecting. BTW what under the tape on the pillars? Paint? and how hard is it to remove? Mine has some small nicks in it.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by skoobus
Found a small rust stain on the passenger door corner on my 05´, I´m in VA. I put clear silicone over all the seams on all the corners, because it looks like that´s where water is getting in or collecting. BTW what under the tape on the pillars? Paint? and how hard is it to remove? Mine has some small nicks in it.
Silicone was maybe not a good idea this rust is between the layers of steel mostly from moisture (which can get there from the inside as well) Silicone may trap it more? Watch it closely and repair it if it progresses.

The black on the door posts is a vinyl overlay. It can be readily remove with a strong finger nail and a heat gun or hair dryer. Heat and pick and pull. The cars are painted body color under the overlay. Be advised these overlays are expensive. They list bewteen $45 and 75 per section so do not remove it all unless you are sure you are never going back (or will do it another way paint perhaps). Honda sells similar sections of similar material for their cars for around $10 per piece dunno why the Scion ones are so high.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks,
Old 04-19-2007, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i found rust but not in the place mentioned. in the drivers door "jamb" - there is a bolt looking thing connected to the door that sides into this hole on the body itself - there is a small ring of rust around this area. im sorry i cant describe the area but it's basically where the door moves on when you open or close ur door. it's not a ton of rust but it's a "wet looking" brown/red colored ring around taht area.
- sh00k
Old 04-19-2007, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

well that thing isn't supposed to be dry so to speak in the first place, you need to put some white lithium greese on it, and the otheres in each door, and all 10 hinges, that will help keep rust out and your doors open easier
Old 04-19-2007, 02:49 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup, hinges and all the rest should be lubed. Now if I could only find some of the white lithium grease we used to use on some equipment when I was in the USAF: The white lithium grease was dissolved in a solvent of some sort that had a rather fantastic evaporation rate. You dripped/poured/brushed/wiped the thin slop onto/into whatever you were greasing and it got right into everything just like a super thin oil, then turned into a nice thick grease as the solvent evaporated. The fumes were nasty, but once it was back to being just grease, it was a fantastic lube.

Wish I had a few cans of that stuff, but I can't even remember the name.

Tom
Old 04-19-2007, 11:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used to take some general purpose grease and disolve it in gasoline then use it to lube my motorcycle drive chain but that was when gasoline would evaporate. You should be able to find lithium grease in a squirt can - check a marine supply store.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Spraying any sort of grease into the hinges makes a big mess due to the overspray. Then dirt starts sticking to all that overspray - Oy! I have a small 1/4 oz. squeeze bottle with a pointed tip filled with 30 weight motor oil. I use it to squeeze a drop or two into each pivot point of the hinge. My hinges are rust-free, and look as clean as the day I bougt the car.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

I just use white lithium greese with the tube, works fine
Old 04-27-2007, 09:54 PM

My 06 PW xB is only 2 months old and i have it.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ill ask my friend to check his xB
Old 09-19-2007, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

this is riDICULOUS! i bought my car in january of 2007 and problems keep on popping up (mostly my fault) but this rust thing is STUPIDDDD
Old 09-20-2007, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tC's do the same thing. I posted about it and no one cared. I did to my wife's tC that I did to the xB
Old 02-12-2008, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

im lucky i didnt find any because the dealer i bought it from would get alot more than an upset buyer...

Quick Reply: Rust found on some Scion xB doors