Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Taillight Wiring Harness for TYC taillights (tps25-52041-wh)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 04:04 AM

Default Taillight Wiring Harness for TYC taillights (tps25-52041-wh)

Seems this taillight harness (tps25-52041-wh) is discontinued & one of the sockets has crapped out on me. Anyone know where to find one? Or are there other harnesses compatible with these TYC taillights?

Dealer & other shops can’t seem to figure out an easy fix other than completely replacing both taillight assemblies for -not affordable-. I’m finding 13 yrs down the road (‘06 Scion) these were a stupid upgrade via the dealer.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

IIRC i used my OEM tail light harness for my TYCs, but its been years.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The same just happened with mine so I'm also on the hunt for this harness. I'm kicking myself for not holding onto my original tail lights. I'm wondering if it's possible to just replace the one socket. I'm going to mess with it some more and will come back with an update if I figure it out.

EDIT: UPDATE

I'm back. So, to verify that my problem was with the harness and not some other wiring, I swapped it with the harness on the other side. The problem followed, so the problem is something in the harness. When I removed the bulb, I noticed that one of the contacts is stuck sunken into the socket. Here's a pic:

Since other people have also had no luck finding the harness, I spent yesterday looking for a replacement socket. I found what looked to be a good replacement on Amazon for only $6.99 per pair here:
uxcell 2 Pcs 1157 BAY15D uxcell 2 Pcs 1157 BAY15D
. (Unfortunately, I must have purchased the last set as they're now out of stock. I have the extra so if anyone wants it I'm happy to mail it to them. Just PM me your mailing address. Or there are other brands, look for "1157 BAY15D"). I ordered it yesterday and it arrived this morning so I just swapped it out. I just removed the bad socket and soldered in the new one. It was pretty easy to match up:

Of course, I forgot the outer heat shrink tubing, but electrical tape will do.

It's raining now but I wanted to make sure it worked so I just popped it in to test. It works!

This is only the second time I've soldered so I'm glad it worked. I suppose a crimp style splice could have worked. I just want to make sure it doesn't come loose. I had trouble getting the tabs for securing the socket into the tail light to match up. They're definitely different. Since it's raining, I'll try again later. Worst case, I'll grab some gorilla tape or something. At 13 years and 347,000 miles, I'm just happy to get away with a $7 fix. My goal is to get two more years out of this thing before taking on a car payment again.

If you don't know how to solder, here are some helpful links:
Soldering is Easy Comic Book

Even easier would be these
. I'll have to pick up a set for future projects.

I hope this helps someone!

Ron
RS3 #966

Last edited by stickboy3k; 10-30-2019 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Updated Info
Old 10-30-2019, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Which socket is bad?

Originally Posted by AbhorrentAngie
Seems this taillight harness (tps25-52041-wh) is discontinued & one of the sockets has crapped out on me. Anyone know where to find one? Or are there other harnesses compatible with these TYC taillights?

Dealer & other shops can’t seem to figure out an easy fix other than completely replacing both taillight assemblies for -not affordable-. I’m finding 13 yrs down the road (‘06 Scion) these were a stupid upgrade via the dealer.
Which socket crapped out on yours? If it's the brake light, I can totally mail you the extra from the set that I just bought. If it's the turn signal or the reverse light, you'll want an 1156 BA15S socket rather than 1157. Those are also available on Amazon. Try to find one with tabs that match as close as possible to the one you're replacing. They're under $10 and pretty easy to swap.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:37 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by stickboy3k
The same just happened with mine so I'm also on the hunt for this harness. I'm kicking myself for not holding onto my original tail lights. I'm wondering if it's possible to just replace the one socket. I'm going to mess with it some more and will come back with an update if I figure it out.

EDIT: UPDATE

I'm back. So, to verify that my problem was with the harness and not some other wiring, I swapped it with the harness on the other side. The problem followed, so the problem is something in the harness. When I removed the bulb, I noticed that one of the contacts is stuck sunken into the socket. Here's a pic:

Since other people have also had no luck finding the harness, I spent yesterday looking for a replacement socket. I found what looked to be a good replacement on Amazon for only $6.99 per pair here: uxcell 2 Pcs 1157 BAY15D. (Unfortunately, I must have purchased the last set as they're now out of stock. I have the extra so if anyone wants it I'm happy to mail it to them. Just PM me your mailing address. Or there are other brands, look for "1157 BAY15D"). I ordered it yesterday and it arrived this morning so I just swapped it out. I just removed the bad socket and soldered in the new one. It was pretty easy to match up:

Of course, I forgot the outer heat shrink tubing, but electrical tape will do.

It's raining now but I wanted to make sure it worked so I just popped it in to test. It works!

This is only the second time I've soldered so I'm glad it worked. I suppose a crimp style splice could have worked. I just want to make sure it doesn't come loose. I had trouble getting the tabs for securing the socket into the tail light to match up. They're definitely different. Since it's raining, I'll try again later. Worst case, I'll grab some gorilla tape or something. At 13 years and 347,000 miles, I'm just happy to get away with a $7 fix. My goal is to get two more years out of this thing before taking on a car payment again.

If you don't know how to solder, here are some helpful links:
Soldering is Easy Comic Book
How to Solder Wires Together (ChrisFix on YouTube)

Even easier would be these heat shrink self-solder butt splice connectors. I'll have to pick up a set for future projects.

I hope this helps someone!

Ron
RS3 #966
This worked perfectly. We also could not find the complete harness and ordered the sockets from your link. They were available and arrived the next day.

Replaced both left and right brake light/taillight sockets as the originals were intermittent and heat damaged.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-12-2021 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:44 PM

I know this thread is old but I wanted to add my 2 cents. I have the same problem with my 2008 Yaris. The sunken pins are from the harness melting. The usual culprit is water seeping into the socket and shorting it out. I had to replace my driver side harness (52061) AND the gasket. I failed to do so at first, and burned up a new harness after it rained. I am having to replace the passenger side now. Hope this helps some.