Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Will a powerwasher take off spray paint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 03:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Will a powerwasher take off spray paint?

back in the day i decided to spraypaint my wheels orange (dont ask). I used a basic sears brand krylon interior/exterior spraypaint, nothing special.

put about 3 coats onto the wheels which were not sanded. the paint has held up to now, about 1 year, but since it wasnt sanded, i'm thinking the paint bond between the wheel and the spraypaint couldnt be too strong.

I'm thinking that a powerwasher should be able to take the paint right off the rim without me having to doo much?

anyone have any suggestions, i really dont wanna take the wheels off the car to do this either. No flaming either, i've realized my stupidity and wanna take the damn paint off now.

thanks guys
Old 06-08-2006, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would try...
Old 06-08-2006, 04:44 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Sandblast it. If you have access to compressed air, you can get the required materials for <$100, and then you have sandblasting equipment!

I would say that if the paint is there after a year in the NorthEast, water ain't going to remove it, and is certainly not going to remove it all. Then again, there's only one way to find out.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i slept on it last night, what if i take a heat gun to it and melt it, then powerwash it, i have no access to pnematic tools or compressors.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go to walmart and buy you some stuff called autostrip. Its in a black and orange spray can. If you use it, be sure to remove the wheeld from the car. This stuff is industrial strength and it WILL bubble any paint you get it on. Simply spray it on your wheels and let it sit for about 5 minutes then wash with your pressure washer. It shouldn't harm your rim finish underneath.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

just paint them the new color.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i just wanna leave the wheels the stock color for now, hopefully taking off the orange wont take off the base black color as well. Do you guys think the heat gun / powerwasher will work. I really dont wanna take off the wheels, complete pain to do that.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

no. heat ond or powerwasher will not take it back to stock.

it will leave little bits of orange here and there.

best bet it just to respreay them balck.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

My passenger side skirt got tagged by some construction spray paint that was dropped out of the back of a truck. The only thing that would get it off was 2000 grit sandpaper and rubbing compound. Took me about 8 hours of work to get it all off and there wasn't that much on my car.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member

Default Mineral Spirits

Go to your local ACE Hardware, or utility store and get a bottle of Mineral Spirits. I had a vadal spraypaint on my 68 Chevelle. Dab a bit onto a clean cloth and gently rub the paint, I'll start to come off like butter.

Keep a bucket of water near by to clean off the area as you go.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

thanks helios, that sounds like the easiest and best thing so far...
Old 06-08-2006, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think mineral spirits will work, especially if you put on 3 coats. Don't be lazy and do it the correct way. It will save you time and money in the long run.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

alright, fine, maybe i'll make my next monday a day of car modding with takin the wheels off. got the wheels to do, the ipod2car to install, and other stuff to do as well.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can get the wheels off in minutes once you get the jack out. With the mineral spirits even if it does work that's a lot of rubbing and elbow grease. I know the autostrip works because I did the same spraypaint job to a set of wheels I had on my big bear 4x4. Before I sold it I stripped the wheels back to the original grey with little effort. Depending on the paint thickness you may need to reapply some areas but it does work well. If it gets on your boxs paint, look out.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:56 AM
SL Member

Keep in mind mineral spirits are flammable.. noone has mentioned this yet.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

mineral spirits will not take off dried paint. Lacquer thinner might. But whatever chemicals you use may well discolor what is below the paint. All the chemicals mentioned are pretty nasty stuff--do it outside.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Will a powerwasher take off spray paint?

Originally Posted by MacMaster
back in the day i decided to spraypaint my wheels orange (dont ask). I used a basic sears brand krylon interior/exterior spraypaint, nothing special.

put about 3 coats onto the wheels which were not sanded. the paint has held up to now, about 1 year, but since it wasnt sanded, i'm thinking the paint bond between the wheel and the spraypaint couldnt be too strong.

I'm thinking that a powerwasher should be able to take the paint right off the rim without me having to doo much?

anyone have any suggestions, i really dont wanna take the wheels off the car to do this either. No flaming either, i've realized my stupidity and wanna take the damn paint off now.

thanks guys
Goof Off is your best solution. You can find it at Home Depot, Lowe's etc. It is designsed specifically to remove fresh dried paint. Last summer I had my house painted and my entire car (Black 2003 Marauder) was covered in yellow speckled overspray paint. I used Goof Off on the whole car and it removed all the yellow and none of the black.....good as new! Good luck.

GT
Old 06-09-2006, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

this is not fresh dried paint though, this is 1 year old, do you think it will still work?
Old 06-10-2006, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by MacMaster
this is not fresh dried paint though, this is 1 year old, do you think it will still work?
Yes, it will still work. You will have to apply it a little longer but no big deal. Just put it on a rag then gently wipe back and forth and it will disappear before your eyes. Just follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

GT
Old 06-10-2006, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok so mineral spirits are designed to thin out stains or any kind of stains or polyurethanes. as of my knowledge.

Quick Reply: Will a powerwasher take off spray paint?