Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

*FINAL RESULTSpg2*Going for max MPG this tank!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 09:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default *FINAL RESULTSpg2*Going for max MPG this tank!

Ok, so I'm a little geeky. I've written down my mileage after every single tank since I bought the car. You can call me a miser, but that's why I bought the car along with the fact that I can put huge radio control planes in it. Started off getting 30-32mpg. Then I got a scan gauge, back in the day when it was a big huge brick. In fact I think I was the first or second person on the forum to even discuss the scan gauge. Anyhow, after that my mileage went up to 35mpg. I was more aware of driving habits, but I still wasn't trying to max out my mileage or anything. So now after watching some people report they're awesome results I figured it was my turn. My goal started out to try and get 40mpg which I thought would be near impossible. But 4.5gallons into my journey I might set my sights a tad higher!

So it's still winter, I've got a five speed, studded tires on 185/65 15 at 38psi give or take, running 87 octane (duh of course), I've pulled off the snorkel to the airbox, put in a K&N drop in filter, and emptied the toaster of some of the loose crumbs that collect under the seats and in the back. Got my scan gauge in plain view, and I'm off on PROJECT COASTER TOASTER!

So I'm 4.5gallons into my tank and I'm at 198miles. Ya baby 44mpg so far! Now I'm sure many of you are assuming that I am holding up traffic or have found some forever downhill course. That isn't the case. Yes sometimes I'm below the speed limit, but I'm not holding up traffic at all so far and in fact, being that I am in city/suburb traffic, I typically keep up with the flow nicely. Someone might go around me, but I end up passing them later or right behind them at a light as I coast to a stop. When I'm at a light longer than 20seconds or so I'm shutting the engine off. (Note, I'm not in gridlock like somepeople have to deal with)
Now will I do this forver the rest of my life, NO. Is it fun right now, YES!
So wish me luck.
Oh and thanks to ICE4ROG for the inspiration...
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...r=asc&&start=0

and BoxOffice for sharing his mod to the airbox
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...146&highlight=
Old 03-21-2007, 09:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 03-21-2007, 11:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have that name on two sites also I always wanted to change it here - anyway good lucj=k on your journey. I'm also really close to getting there. I think today I can crack 400. If I do I'll take a picture.

Those studded tires may actually be helping you. Harder rubber roles better - LRR tires.

You should get a engine block heater. You will see a 10-15% increase right away. Engine warm up kills our XB's
Old 03-21-2007, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually right now while I'm house sitting I have access to a garage at night so I'm good to go. I used to park in my garage all the time until I bought a restored '65 VW bug.

I got 40mpg on the way to work today and thats usually the toughest part of the day. Hopefully I can get through this tank before it snows. Might snow in the next couple days.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

I think the MPG killer is getting the car back up to speed after a stop...
Old 03-21-2007, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Awesome! Keep us posted!
Old 03-21-2007, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the MPG killer is getting the car back up to speed after a stop...
I agree. I've been playing around with starting off techniques. Ideally I would not stop but just slowly roll so that I can start from 2nd gear while rolling 5-10mph. But when I do have to start from a complete stop I usually accelerate moderatly brisk shifting between 2-3k rpm. I try to get into 5th gear as soon as possible. So usually depending on wether or not it's a flat road, I go 1st gear, 2nd, 3rd-- then 5th. I've heard people complain that 1st and 2nd eat gas but they are short geared and therfore help you get up to speed quickly so you can coast.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You guys are going to make me cry. I'm trying to be fuel efficient - not obsessive or obnoxious, just efficient - and I typically get a bit above 32 mpg per tank. And that's calibrated. By the odo, that comes out to a bit above 30.

I'm wondering if part of my problem is not accelerating fast enough. Can't fiddle with when I shift, though - I've got an auto.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

268 miles and still rolling. The needle shows just under 1/2 tank and the scan gauge says 6gallons even used. I didn't top the tank off completely just till the pump clicks off and so from what I've heard I won't actually have 6 gallons left but probably a gallon less so 5 maybe? The most I've ever put in is about just under 11gallons so this will be new territory for me. I might have to take a gas can with me just in case on the last drive.

It was tough to try to continue to get my average up today since we had a very slight dusting of snow today and the roads are glare ice so definetly had to slow down on corners a bit and couldn't hold as much momentum, but turned out ok as I still increased my tank aveerage to 44.8mpg. I can't wait to see what it ends up being, but at the same time I can't wait to drive a little more normal so that I can test how taking the snorkel improves throttle responce. Tommorow will be a true test because I know morning traffic will suck with the slick roads. Will have to plan a back up route.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow...who needs a Prius? Our little cars do great on mileage and there is plenty of proof on our site. Granted heat and cold sap our mileage, but it does the same to everyone. I have been very pleased with my mileage (32-35) Can't wait to see your final result!
Old 03-22-2007, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xBster
Wow...who needs a Prius? Our little cars do great on mileage and there is plenty of proof on our site. Granted heat and cold sap our mileage, but it does the same to everyone. I have been very pleased with my mileage (32-35) Can't wait to see your final result!
I'm sure I'd get about the same in a Prius driving normal. I certainly can't keep this up every tank though, but it's been a great challenge which makes it fun. I remember getting my free oil change a few months ago and there was a guy with a Prius waiting on his car as well. I asked him what kind of mileage he was getting. I was ready to hear 45-55 since it was below zero regularly for a couple weeks and when he told me 35-40mph I was shocked. He then asked what I was getting which was 35mpg at the time when I wasn't trying to max economy. I felt bad though so I just told him I was getting 30 since I didn't want to rain on his parade. I'd still want a prius if I could afford one but just can't justify the price at this point. I can buy allot of gas for 7k dollars. I'm sure if I did get a prius I'd be doing some mods and going the 100mpg club.

BTW did decent on the way to work this morning in traffic. 42mpg for the trip which just brought my tank ave down to 44.7
Old 03-22-2007, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Geeky? Hardly (or maybe I just am, too..). I think the results you're getting are awesome.
Gotta get me one of those ScanGauges, too!
Old 03-23-2007, 08:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok update...
Drive home after work was great, got 49mpg, hit about 6 stops lights too. Then went driving around town and ran a few errands.
Up to 351 miles so far. Tank ave. around 45-46mpg. Getting anxious as the gas needle is sitting just under the 1/4 tank.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

You are officially a hypermiler! I want video of you driving... especially from a stop!
Old 03-23-2007, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yeah! video or ban!! hehhee .. this is exciting!
Old 03-23-2007, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

All I can say is WOW!!! the best I've ever done on a tank is 35.XXX 319.1 miles on 9.0xx gallons. But that was averaging 70mph with about 6 starts from 10-70 on an on-ramp, and hitting triple digits once
Old 03-23-2007, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by akxb
... Drive home after work was great, got 49mpg, hit about 6 stops lights too. Then went driving around town and ran a few errands....
The ScanGuage does not show an accurate picture of short term mpg.
Do not believe 49 mpg for driving home with stoplights followed by driving around town doing errands.
I do have a ScanGuage in my 5-speed xB: http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...B%20ScanGuage/
but I don't rely on it for short trip mileage calcuations.
I have gotten 42 mpg twice, by dividing the gallons into the miles -- for a large fill up. This was for holding a steady indicataed 60 mph for 250 miles. Twice. And 60 mph "indicated" on the speedo is a true 56 mph on the ScanGuage. If 250 miles at a steady 56 mpg is what it takes to get 42 mpg, you did not really get 49 mpg around town.
Similarly, our Buick LeSabre has an electronic info display, and its calculation of short trip mpg is not supported by basic division of gallons into miles at each fill up.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by akxb
Ok update...
Drive home after work was great, got 49mpg, hit about 6 stops lights too. Then went driving around town and ran a few errands.
Up to 351 miles so far. Tank ave. around 45-46mpg. Getting anxious as the gas needle is sitting just under the 1/4 tank.

I thought I'd add mine to the collection:

Old 03-23-2007, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

akxb what kind of oil you running in the crankcase and trans?? regular or sythetic?
Old 03-23-2007, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Regular. 5w30, I still have one more free oil change left at the dealer. So what ever Toyota puts in. I was considering switching to synthetic after that but of course that's a huge controvery in and of itself. Haven't decided.

Quick Reply: *FINAL RESULTSpg2*Going for max MPG this tank!