Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

2006 XB Rust Spreading

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member

Default 2006 XB Rust Spreading

I reported in March the presence of rust on the lower inside lip of the lift gate near the seal. I have been tryting to communicate with the dealer and Scion but their response has been very limited. Yesterday, I looked closely again and find rust spots now appearing on the upper portion of the lift gate and the right front lowe door sill area. Anyone else having this experience?
Old 05-12-2006, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Make sure you post this in the thread below, too:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...812&highlight=

I'll admit: all this talk of rust is making me a bit concerned, especially living in the salty Mid West (think winter). I have just a slight discoloring in the corner on the driver's-side door, but haven't found any on the hatch. Are these spots on the interior or exterior of the liftgate?
Old 05-12-2006, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member

The lift hatch spots are on the interior and are appearing on the shell not the skin. At the door so far there is only one. It isbelow the plastic sill plate(not underneath it) location toward the rear of the sill/rocker opening.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RogersHC
The lift hatch spots are on the interior and are appearing on the shell not the skin. At the door so far there is only one. It isbelow the plastic sill plate(not underneath it) location toward the rear of the sill/rocker opening.
Not sure I understand the difference between the shell vs. skin. Can you clarify?
Old 05-12-2006, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member

The shell is the basic stamping that forms the interior of the door support structure. The skin goes over the outside of the shell and is the exterior finish panel of the door.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Haven't seen any rust yet on my 04 but Ct. doesn't use salt on the roads to begin with. you should have maybe looked it to rust prof or undercoating .also rock blocker isn't to bad but after the winter it may need to be reapllied !good luck!
Old 05-13-2006, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I guess this is a good thing that I don't drive mine in the winters. It's great to have a second, "winter" car...
Old 05-13-2006, 06:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Metro273
I guess this is a good thing that I don't drive mine in the winters. It's great to have a second, "winter" car...
If possible that is the only way to go
Old 05-13-2006, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

We don't have to worry about rust here in Az but my car sure gets sunburned...Ha ha
Old 05-20-2006, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I’m sorry; I’m still having trouble picturing where your rust spots are appearing. Any chance you could post some pics?
Old 05-22-2006, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member

The rust spots were first seen when the lift gate was up. They were on the lower side of the gate where it met the rubber moulding at the bottom of the opening. They appeared as little blisters with rust at the point where it broke through the paint. Hope this helps.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Dang I would be ____ed. But cars don't rust here very often. Mostly old cars do. Have you tried contacting Scion Corp? They helped us when we needed to report the dealer for bad service.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member

I've contacted dealer, dist. rep and California customer care. They are stone walling me. I cnt' even get a straight answere about the waranty. The dist rep says only 3 years, the book says 6. The dist rep said repair would void waranty from Scion but the body shop would warrant their repair. The body shop said their waranty is 30/30 ... 30 minutes and 30 miles.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: 2006 XB Rust Spreading

I reported in March the presence of rust on the lower inside lip of the lift gate near the seal. I have been tryting to communicate with the dealer and Scion but their response has been very limited. Yesterday, I looked closely again and find rust spots now appearing on the upper portion of the lift gate and the right front lowe door sill area. Anyone else having this experience?

Hi,

Are you in the upper-midwest? Please post detailed pics. Also, just a note, you might want to update your membership to show your a Scion owner...
Matt
Old 05-23-2006, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

although I am lucky to have a "winter car" too like Metro273, I have sure been looking in all these areas mentioned, haven't seen any rust. I would also like to see pics of these areas.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've contacted dealer, dist. rep and California customer care. They are stone walling me. I cnt' even get a straight answere about the waranty. The dist rep says only 3 years, the book says 6. The dist rep said repair would void waranty from Scion but the body shop would warrant their repair. The body shop said their waranty is 30/30 ... 30 minutes and 30 miles.
It's too bad something like this needs to be a fight. How cut-and-dry does it have to be? You've got a one-year-old car that's rusting. That should speak for itself. Keep on 'em. If this dealer won't do anything to help, go to another.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Surface rust V rusting is two different things in the eyes of a car dealer.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by onemat
Surface rust V rusting is two different things in the eyes of a car dealer.
I bolded the key words here. Rust is rust, IMHO. So you can't put your finger though a body pannel yet. Sorry; I'm not mad at you onemat, it just frustrates the crap out of me when stuff like this happens and a company won't stand behind its products.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Hey Sushiboy, I know you're not ____ed off at me. Whenever there is a problem of this kind, everyone that has it needs to open a case directly with Scion. As of last week, as far as I could tell, only two of us have actually opened a case with Scion. I was one of two who opened the case and I don't have the problem...yet. It's a waste of time to get ____ed at Scion/Toyota if they only have a few official cases. We can't depend on most of the dealers to report this to Toyota.
Dealers are afraid and intimidated by Toyota. They freak out when Toyota higher-ups come visit. It's like a military inspection. IMO many dealers are reluctant to tell Toyota about a problem like this, unless each dealer is getting dozens of complaints. That is why it is inportant for anyone who has this problem to open a case directly with Scion, AND continue to bug their dealer.
In 1972, owners of Honda Civics banded toogether to get on Honda for a rust-thru problem on the tops of the fenders. Honda shipped newly zinc-treated fenders to all the dealers for free replacements. Car companies respond to high volume complaints..they are not so good at responding to a small number of people out of thousands.
Matt
Old 05-24-2006, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member

I reported to SCion and requested a district rep. Aafter District Rep looked at it he said when the approved body shop repaired the rust spots then the Toyota Warranty would end and the body shop warranty would cover that portion of the car. Some Professional REp?!! Body shop said their warranty was 30/30 ... 30 miles and 30 minutes. I now have a written statement from dealer the warranty will not end. Toyota rep and dealer were both, in my judgment, trying to delay the matter until I got past the 1 year and 18,000 mile limit of the Ohio Lemon Law. I think Toyota has a real problem with this new "son of toyota" model and it may end up being another Toyota Pickup deal.

Quick Reply: 2006 XB Rust Spreading