Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

202.4 Miles on my xB, then I get hit! so sad...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 09:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default 202.4 Miles on my xB, then I get hit! so sad...

I knew this would happen eventually, just didn't think so soon after getting my new car. 202.4 TOTAL MILES ON MY BRAND NEW CAR FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!

I was in the far right lane to get off the offramp, when this beater decides to change into my lane beside me. I slam on the brakes and veer right but I'm too late. He makes contact with me and pulls left, speeding back onto the freeway.

My instinct is to give chase, but I'm forced to get off the freeway from having swerved to the right to avoid the bastard. In the flurry, I didn't get a chance to jot the license or make and model of the car... it just happened too damn fast.

When I finally pull off, I notice that my fender "flare?" is pushed in, along with pretty good scrapes cutting into the paint on the front fender. Honestly, I thought the damage was going to be at least twice as bad.

My friends tell me not to sweat it and just suck it up so my premium doesn't go up or so I don't spend money foolishly. Aaaargh... it's just killing me knowing that my new xB got hit.

Because this is the first time ever calling up my insurance to report something like this, a few questions if you don't mind:

1. What should I know about Insurance companies and tactics they might use to avoid liability?

2. What other things can be damaged from a collision of this type?
Old 03-28-2005, 09:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Dunno how bad the paint damage is; whether or not it can be buffed out, but dents are fairly easy to pull out if you know what you are doing, and a repaint of the fender may not be too terribly expensive. If you are ever in the Sacramento area (or if you have pics), I can see what I can do for you. If it was an easy dent to pull, I'd do it for some beer and an order of general tso's chicken. Repaint. . . you could probably find a place to do it for under $300, or perhaps touch up, if the paint damage isn't too bad.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would call my insurrance company and discuss wheather they'll raise your rate for something like this. It's hard to say if they'll count it as a point against you.
There's a lot of insurance fraud out there still, and they may think that you beat your car down somehow and made up a hit and run story to save any liability on yourself.

Good luck
Old 03-28-2005, 12:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.wreckedscions.com/

Ok, so yours isn't wrecked. ;)
Old 03-28-2005, 12:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

insurance claim will make it go up. im giving my buddy a break since he rear ended me. instead of having him pay more for insurance imma wait out for him to come with the money to fix it.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as long as they believe you were hit, your premiums shouldn't go up. it's a no-fault accident, meaning it was no fault of yours. i don't think we use a points system here in illinois, so as far as getting points against you...i can't say.

if you can get a free estimate somewhere do that, and if the estimate is higher than your deductible, might as well have the insurance company pay, but if the estimate is lower, it's better to just pay for the work yourself and leave the insurance company out of it.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Cool... thanks for the tips. It's always good to know more before getting the insurance involved for the first time.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-28-2005, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

how old are you, and how's your record?
Old 03-28-2005, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I'm 27 and my record's spotless. This is my first "accident", and I've only gotten one ticket when I was 18 (illegal Uturn).
Old 03-28-2005, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt
If you are ever in the Sacramento area (or if you have pics), I can see what I can do for you. If it was an easy dent to pull, I'd do it for some beer and an order of general tso's chicken. Repaint. . . you could probably find a place to do it for under $300, or perhaps touch up, if the paint damage isn't too bad.
I prefer Orange Chicken myself

Thanks so much for the offer bro. I was actually able to clay bar off the other guy's nasty paint of my fender and bumper. After a fresh coat of wax on the affeted areas, can't even tell the paint was messed up there!

I'm going to just pay out of poclet to get the fender flare "re-rolled" to its correct shape. I'll get some estimates on that today.

Again, thanks for all the help guys! ScionLife is by far the best support group!
Old 03-28-2005, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Special Sauce,

I work for State Farm. Basically if you damages are over $750 then it will be considered a chargeable accident on your record. If it's below $750 then it won't hurt you. What sucks about the law is that if you would have gotten the guys license plate number then it would have fallen under the uninsured motor coverage of your policy (if you have it) and you wouldn't be subject to your deductible or anything. I know that sucks, but that's just how it is for future reference.

So, get an estimate and if it's under $750 turn in into insureance. The $750 is a California State Law, not just State Farm. Be sure to talk to your agent or customer service rep. If it's over $750 bite the bullet because a chargeable accident will end up costing you more in the long run.

Just read your post, glad you were able to fix it up. Hopefully this helps out people in the future
Old 03-28-2005, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

You wouldn't believe it, but fender rolling is not all too complicated. . . but it'll be worth the $$ if you don't have experience, to get the job done right.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by SOBAY310
if you would have gotten the guys license plate number then it would have fallen under the uninsured motor coverage of your policy (if you have it) and you wouldn't be subject to your deductible or anything. I know that sucks, but that's just how it is for future reference.
Yeah... I just got so flustered I didn't react quick enough to do even the obvious, grab the license plate. Well, now I know... Gotta happen for the first time for everyone, right?

Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-29-2005, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man that has to suck. If anyone ever hit me and tried to run off I would do everything I could to stop them from getting away and then sue the crap out of them.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bite the bullet and go for a full widebody and front and rear bumper kit....
Old 03-29-2005, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

yeah. . . I was hit once (and the guy ran) and he was in a brand new car with no plates! The bastard!
Old 03-29-2005, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude, dont worry about it , a new toyota fender cost around $150, and it will cost you the same to re-paint it. At least its not "major" body damage.....
Old 03-29-2005, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yeah, i'm taking this in stride. thank god i don't have to repaint. I had no idea clay bar could remove that bastard's paint off my car! lol
Old 03-29-2005, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would get a quote first or see how much it is going to fix it. If it is your first accident your premium shouldn't go up. However, it may not be worth it, and you might not want to use your 1 get of of jail free card on a little damage.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you have full coverage, you should be just fine. You bought the insurance to cover things like this. Dnon't feel any apprehension at all in utilizing your insurance to fix your car.

Go and immediately file a police report. Then call your insurance company and they with take a statement from you and send out an adjuster.

No worries, you already paid for peace of mind.

Quick Reply: 202.4 Miles on my xB, then I get hit! so sad...