Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

60 and lovin' my new xB

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm 52 and had to have the iPod upgrade or I would be miserable. If you don't have an iPod or MP3 player you ain't livin', so get on with it already! I had the blue LED installed at purchase time mainly because the box lacks cabin lighting....at least that's what I told my wife

This is now the official "old guy/gal" thread!
Old 08-30-2006, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

My wife and I each have an xB. The dealer told us the average age of people buying those are well out of the 18-24 year old demographic Toyota was aiming at. They told my the average age of an xB owner at their dealership was over 40.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by javastan
My wife and I each have an xB. The dealer told us the average age of people buying those are well out of the 18-24 year old demographic Toyota was aiming at. They told my the average age of an xB owner at their dealership was over 40.
too old too soon.....too smart [not quite]too late.......

and a hearty welcome to the "Two Box Club"!
Old 08-31-2006, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would just like to say, HELLO AND WELCOME!!

I can never really tell if many of the drivers (older) in Central Florida will be scared if I honk and throw up a peace sign so I usually don't. I might just start doing it to everyone! I've always gotten along with the older generation so I might just stick around to gather wisdom.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:19 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice to see a thread started up by and for the, uh, 'more experienced' box herders (I'm 18 with 42 years experience...)

I knew I had to have one from seeing about 5 seconds of one of their early US commercials as someone else was flipping channels. Is said "I want one. What is it?"

Tomas
Old 09-01-2006, 11:08 PM
BPG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm glad to see that there are so many of us out there! I just got my follow-up telephone survey from Scion Corp. Not much interest in me. Only my age, level of education and income, which I didn't give. Mostly about how I was treated by the dealer. I do wish that there would have been questions on "what I would like to see on Scions". If we elders are such a large percentage of their customers, maybe Scion should come up with a 50+ accessory option pack! I would love to do a focus group.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

hmm RS50.0+ special release series for the "wiser" generation... ;)
Old 09-01-2006, 11:40 PM
BPG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds Great!
Old 09-01-2006, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by BPG
I'm glad to see that there are so many of us out there! I just got my follow-up telephone survey from Scion Corp. Not much interest in me. Only my age, level of education and income, which I didn't give. Mostly about how I was treated by the dealer. I do wish that there would have been questions on "what I would like to see on Scions". If we elders are such a large percentage of their customers, maybe Scion should come up with a 50+ accessory option pack! I would love to do a focus group.
Every time there is a request for focus groups or surveys I try to apply. I find that they are looking for younger owners--their loss............
Old 09-02-2006, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

hey fellow old farts and fartesses!

I'm starting to understand why "old" peeps like this car. It's like that movie "Cocoon"...you know when you get in the BOX your mind morphs into a ten year old...or for those of yall who still have hormones...16 year olds! hehe

I FRIGGIN LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!

I just got a sunroof installed and it is fantastic...um...I mean GROOVEY!!!!!

OUT OF SITE BABEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

We need to come up with the happy xB dance...dont we?
yes, we do!!!
I see yah shakin your head "no"...oooooooooh wait!!! you are a whippersnapper!!!
*grabs a wet towel and snaps the whippers butt* tee hee hee

Feelin so good since my xB...gonna cut back on the Prozac!
Old 09-02-2006, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

50+ accessory pack????

AlRIIIGHT!!!!!!!!!

So what, pray tell, would be in the ideal 50+ accessory pack?

I'm voting for a Disco Ball.

(for the xB happy dance, Duh!)
Old 09-02-2006, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

58 in six months, had my xB for three weeks, and love it too. Besides the great gas milage, it looks great, drives great, and hauls my Radio Control Airplanes. My largest one has a six foot Fusalage, an fits nicely. I got rid of my Pontiac Montana for the xB and have just about as much room, and more money left from the gas pump to buy more plane stuff!
Old 09-02-2006, 06:32 PM
RMS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by boro_box

I FRIGGIN LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!

I just got a sunroof installed and it is fantastic...um...I mean GROOVEY!!!!!

OUT OF SITE BABEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
Show us your sunroof!!!!!
Old 09-02-2006, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
Scikotics
SL Member

I am on my second xB, and love modding it. Luckily in the Lone Star region, young and old hang together in the community with no problems. We definately learn from each other.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:46 PM
RMS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PIMP
I am on my second xB, and love modding it. Luckily in the Lone Star region, young and old hang together in the community with no problems. We definately learn from each other.
I "echo" your comment as far as getting along with all box owners.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heh. Toyota missed the target audience by a mile, and still have a hit on their hands. At 57, I'm treating my box to a lot of aftermarket custom stuff, it's sort of the car I couldn't afford when I was younger... And the base price makes that all possible, anyway. Plus, it's a Toyota, so it just works.

I like the fact that it has terrific interior space, gets great mileage, and also doesn't look like everything else on the road... It's also easy to get in&out of- great for hauling around my 85 year old fatherinlaw...

I've dubbed her the "Scenility", had a custom decal made for the back, in obscure tagger script... only old guys can read it, oddly enough...

One of my coworkers sez maybe I'm having a midlife crisis- maybe she's right... maybe we can flip down the rear seats and she can help me give it the bounce test some evening after work....
Old 09-04-2006, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jhhnn
... maybe we can flip down the rear seats and she can help me give it the bounce test some evening after work....
If this Box is a rocking....don't bother a knocking....
Old 09-04-2006, 05:14 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by boro_box
We need to come up with the happy xB dance...dont we?
yes, we do!!!
I see yah shakin your head "no"...oooooooooh wait!!! you are a whippersnapper!!!
*grabs a wet towel and snaps the whippers butt* tee hee hee

Feelin so good since my xB...gonna cut back on the Prozac!

Tomas
Old 09-24-2006, 07:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Howdy to all the kids at heart who have mainly been writing on this topic. If any of you are still reading, here is a link to something BPG had mentioned in the post that started this whole topic. http://allscion.com/lumbar-support.htm#seatheater

I was actually searching for dome lighting installs and this one popped up because it has the words "dome" and "lighting" in it. But I was insterested in seeing the wide range of people who drive scions (and boxes in particular). I think if my dad were still alive then he would think all the stuff I'm doing to my car is pretty cool, he'd probably try to help with some of it too. So anyway, to all of you, keep having fun enjoying your scions! P.S. I think it's pretty cool to see the internet saavy older generation as well. I'm not talking about the 40-60 crowd, you're still relatively young I think. But the 75 year olds on the net and driving a car that they're modifying to make it personalized, you're awesome!
Old 09-24-2006, 09:33 AM
BPG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the info on the seat accessories. that stuff is made by the same people that make the cruise control for the Scion xA and xB.

I did get my forward dome light installed. I bought a beautiful full featured dome light from a junque yard for $8.00. It's out of a 1984 Mercedes Benz. It has a large light, passenger reading spot light and a dimming circuit. To make it work without interfering with the complicated Scion dome light wiring I installed an additional door switch and wired it in with a Littel Fuse "add a circuit" kit.

My next Mod will be to get that Cigarette lighter off of the ignition ON accessory circuit to an always ON battery circuit.

Quick Reply: 60 and lovin' my new xB