Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

aFe intake is it any good

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 01:57 AM

Default aFe intake is it any good

Hi my name is Kevin I just bought an 05 black cherry xb. I 'm looking to put a different air intake on and I was wondering if the aFe is any good it looks nice and according to there dyno sheets shows a good power increase. Any info would be great thanks kevin
Old 03-29-2007, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

don't know but the Fujita CAI is a good one...

check it:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...965&highlight=
Old 03-29-2007, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I havent dealt with their xb intake yet, I plan on getting it soon,but i recamend and install their products at work. Great air flow Great filtering and awesome customer service.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I just took a look at set the setup.
http://www.afefilters.com/productrev...5154-10972.htm

that's a link if anyone is interested.

My opinions.
1. Most of the aftermarket intakes have a bracket for the VSV (vacuum switching valve). The gold thing behind the guys hand in the second install pic. Unless the heat shield on the aFe intake ahas a bracket which I would assume it does where would you place it or would you have to make a new bracket. Reminder that the 06+ do not have the VSV in the same place if I remember correctly.

2. The placement of the filter is questionable. The whole idea behind SRI/CAI is to place the filter in an area where the filter can get fresh cold air. There has been some debate as to whether placing the filter where the aFe filter is placed. Honestly I don't think anyone ever came down to a final conclusion on it. Common sense would dictate the filter placement is not the best place. However there are several companies out there like Blitz that use a similar placement.

3. I do like the heat shield, I have installed/removed several K&N filters on trucks with the same shield. I don't know why no other company has done a similar setup.

4. The Dyno charts are generic. I know they are not from the xB and if they are then well 10hp from 175 bucks is crazy great. I'm still doubtful after seeing dynos on xB's with different exhausts with an intake and axleback setup.

Overall, intakes don't do much for the xB. even on a I/H/E (axleback setup) gains are very little. mostly in peoples' minds and butt dynos lol. It would make a nice show piece though, something a little different. I know the Injen CAI when broekn down to be a SRI has a similar setup. I have a friend who has one, and honestly when we were talking about it he didn't seem to notice the difference between the stock setup and the CAI/SRI on the xB. I suppose my opinion is if you wanted something different go for it, but do not expect the numbers posted, cause if they are and you want the numbers they claim there are other companies that have a similar product at a lower price. Personally I am running a Fujita SRI/Strup Headers/Strup v2 axleback. NOt much in the area of power gains infact I think I lost some low end to mid torque, however I will say that going from 60-80mph is not a struggle as much as it used to be. If you do end up getting it I'd like to see an install/review, it'd be great to see another company added to the scion aftermarket family!

little update:
I just looked around for more intall info. apparently if I am looking at the pictures correctly the aFe intake is to be connected to the lower half of the OEM box. Interesting design, still don't know much more then that, but I like the idea.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:24 PM

Thanks for the info. I know that you can't believe all the stuff they say about power gains. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of getting better mileage and looking at the pictures it looked like everything fit nice and its cheaper than the aem cold air intake.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

This is more of a Short ram, you can get any other companies SRI for about the same if not less of a price. As far as milage gains most of the people here actually saw a loss or little to no difference after the swap out. There is a huge thread going on about a guy getting 40mpg with a stock air box. As far as I can see it's probably more show then go. Check the xb home forum and do a search on "MPG" for the xB, I think you'll be suprised that better MPG comes from the way you drive versus modifications.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

afe is an amazing brand but their xb intake design is horrible. lets suck up hot air......... boo
Old 03-30-2007, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It looks like it is drawing the cooler air from the factory box...interesting idea
Old 03-30-2007, 07:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

there no cool air to draw when the intake filter is near the header and above the transmission. both are great sources of heat.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:00 PM

What is the best drop in filter
Old 03-30-2007, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I think there are only TRD and K&N, however there is the Blitz airfilter but you modify the stock box by removing the lower half. and the blitz one is crazy expensive for what it is.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the TRD drop in filter, The biggest difference I notice is less sluggishness when taking off, every little bit helps especially with our "Power Houses"..lol
Old 03-31-2007, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

k&n saves you a tiny bit of money over the trd.

the trd drop in filter is made by afe.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:42 AM

Is that K&N a dry filter or an oiled one? Hotbox what kind of setup do you have and do you like it?
Old 04-01-2007, 07:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The K&N filter is oiled, once they get dirty(doesn't take long) they flow worse than a paper filter. If you don't mind pulling out your filter all the time to clean and reoil it go for it, my Camaro came with one when I bought it which is why I still use it and I don't mind cleaning it.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Ive got an Injen Short Ram in mine...couldnt be happier. But that aFe setup, doesnt look like it gets the filter any farther from the engine...so how does it get any "cold" air??
Old 04-01-2007, 07:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by 4150
The K&N filter is oiled, once they get dirty(doesn't take long) they flow worse than a paper filter.
Where exactly did you get this info. from. That is news to me. I've been using K&Ns for over 15 years or more and wait till around 30 k to clean them with no problems.

Bottom line is that any system that simply replaces the bottom of the stock box is a waste of money. Why not add the k&N drop in and just add the new ducting to feed the stock box fresh cooler airflow?!?!
Old 04-01-2007, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

AFE Filter do not flow as well as a K&N or a Green Filter. The Green Filter has the highest flow in the industry with still stopping dirt up to 5 microns!
Old 04-01-2007, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by 4150
The K&N filter is oiled, once they get dirty(doesn't take long) they flow worse than a paper filter. If you don't mind pulling out your filter all the time to clean and reoil it go for it, my Camaro came with one when I bought it which is why I still use it and I don't mind cleaning it.
dirty to dirty the k&n will flow better than the paper.

12k-30k is a good service interval for k&n cleaning.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by letrbuk
Is that K&N a dry filter or an oiled one? Hotbox what kind of setup do you have and do you like it?
k&n is oiled.

I have an AEM "l" pipe intake. with their first in house designed filters instead of their old k&n outsourced ones.

it's a copy of the k&n through and through.

it's a good intake and I've been happy with it. I like k&n products . well their filters not so much their intake systems.

I like it.

If I could have gotten the AEM dryflow intake filter I would have and am currently looking into buying a replacement dryflow filter to put on my intake.

Quick Reply: aFe intake is it any good