Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Air Induction-Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member

Default Air Induction-Gas Mileage

Does anybody know if adding the Air Induction system affects gas mileage on the xB ? The added horsepower is appealing, but not if it costs mileage.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member

ummmmm.....fella, ya get BETTER gas mileage with a CAI, and exhaust, all it helps to do is let the engine breath more freely, making it work less hard. Because with a more restrictive intake (stock) you burn more gasoline, working harder, but a less restrictive aftermarket intake makes it easier for the engine to breathe, in turn burning less gasoline , the less gasoline you burn, the better gas mileage you get, so yes, a CAI is a good buy, enhanced performance, crazy cool sound, and better gas mileage, not to mention it looks cool.
-Vato
Old 03-30-2004, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member

Default air induction-gas mileage

Ok. I have read that that is not always the case though. Although the concept of easier air flow means better gas mileage might seem obvious, in some cars when the intake air temperature drops, the computer compensates by adjusting the gas mix, adding more gas since it thinks the car is not warmed up yet. This in turn drops gas mileage. So, is your response based on experience with the xB, or just theory? I would like to hear from poeple who have the system on their xB, and have calculated gas mileage.
Thanks
Greg
Old 03-30-2004, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have an xA w/ the AEM CAI and i avg 34 mpg...so i certainly don't think it has hurt...but i have had it in since day 1 so i can't tell you if it has improved it
Old 03-30-2004, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: air induction-gas mileage

the people you heard from obviously don't reliaze that the air intake temperature sensor is not the sensor the computer uses to decide if the engine is warmed up or not.

also, engines don't use more gas when the car isn't warmed up.

I have measured my MPG before and after CAI, its the same as far as I am capable of measuring it. My most recent tank with the CAI I got 32mpg in stop and go traffic.

in theory mileage should improve slightly. the only thing that would make this not true is if the design of the intake was poor and caused turbulence at the MAF meter making it impossible for the computer to keep the air/fuel ratios as they should be.

its not uncommond for aftermarket intakes to do that either, though my AEM seems to be well designed.

Originally Posted by gwirtel
Ok. I have read that that is not always the case though. Although the concept of easier air flow means better gas mileage might seem obvious, in some cars when the intake air temperature drops, the computer compensates by adjusting the gas mix, adding more gas since it thinks the car is not warmed up yet. This in turn drops gas mileage. So, is your response based on experience with the xB, or just theory? I would like to hear from poeple who have the system on their xB, and have calculated gas mileage.
Thanks
Greg
Old 03-30-2004, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member

Well, with more air you use more fuel. Why? When the computer senses more air, it pumps in more fuel to keep the air fuel ratio from being too lean.

However, because the engine breaths easier, you can make more power at lower RPMs provided the ECU is selecting the correct map. For example, lets say you made 70 hp at 3000 rpm before the intake. With the new intake, you'll be sucking in more air at 3000 rpm, so the engine bumps up the amount of fuel being injected into the engine. Thus, you're using more gas at 3000 rpm, but you're also makeing, let's say, 74 hp at 3000 rpm. But now you're atually making 70 hp at a lower RPM.

So after realizing this, you can techinically get better milage, but you're driving style has to change a little bit. You can use slightly less throttle to achieve the same acceleration.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member

Thank you for the helpfull answers.
Greg