Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Airbags or Keyless Entry?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member

Default Airbags or Keyless Entry?

So, I went to the dealer expecting to come home in an '05 Black xA with side airbags already installed. Then I veered over to the tC, and was commenting how I really liked the controls on the steering wheel. The saleslady told me the '06 xAs have that, and explained all the other differences between the '05 and the '06, and basically I was sold on an '06, which should arrive ( ) the last week of August.

Now, since I felt I was saving a few bucks on the side air bags from the '05, I decided to add onto the '06 keyless entry/scion security. My question is - did I make the right choice or should I have added on the airbags to the '06? A friend is saying I should've done the airbags, since I could get Viper security installed for less than the $499 Scion is charging., but that wouldnt include keyless entry, right?

Sorry if this is a silly question, I really dont know much about cars - at all. Except that I drive an Echo now, and want something similiar when my lease is up. Thanks in advance for any opinions on this!
Old 08-08-2005, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Personally the only option i wanted on my 05 was side inpact bags. I did wreck my xA and not a single bag went off. altho i was sliding sideways. I slammed in to the door and cracked the door pannel with my leg and force of me hitting the door.

Just my 2cp

I think the Scion alarm has a neet remote but i would agree with your friend and get a viper at a later date.

again my 2cp.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from what i hear, most people regret the scion securtiy option. you can get a 2 way paging system, with remote start and keyless entry for less.
i would go with the airbags, as you can't really get those cheaper and installed by yourself. its best to get stuff like that when ordered so it will be covered under warranty and financing.
i think you can get discounts on your insurance for security and airbag options. i wish the xb came with side airbags..
Old 08-08-2005, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member

Hmmm. Thanks for your opinions. (Sorry bout your accident staypuft, hope you and your leg were ok!) I placed the order for the car on Saturday, think its too late to tell them to take off the security and add airbags, shouldnt be since they install everything at the dealership, right?
Old 08-08-2005, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

some stuff gets installed at port. but if you ordered an 06, i doubt it would be an issue at this point.
i would be more worried about getting the right radio and the steering wheel controls..
Old 08-08-2005, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member

Yeah Bgnome, Ive read somewhere about the '06s havinv the wrong radios, what should I look out for? Also, not to sound like a total , but you mentioned a 2 way paging system, with remote start and keyless entry - what exactly is a 2 way paging system?
Old 08-08-2005, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have side-impact curtain airbags in my xA and would definitely choose them over keyless entry.

It's just wayyyyy overpriced from Scion. I got the $62 keyless entry kit from scionspecialties and I'd say that's a MUCH better deal.....

....the irony here is that my side-curtain airbags have actually prevented me from completing the installation of the keyless entry kit. It requires you to go up into the A Pillar to attach a wire, which isn't possible with the airbags.

Bill (Mr. ScionSpecialties) is trying to track down an alternate wire to tap into, but so far I'm out of luck and my car has been sitting in the garage with all these wires hanging out of it since last Thursday

But yeah, I'd lose the Scion installed keyless and the money you save could get you a much better setup installed.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by anothergirl
Also, not to sound like a total , but you mentioned a 2 way paging system, with remote start and keyless entry - what exactly is a 2 way paging system?
It comes with a receiving pager and if your alarm is triggered, you're instantly notified.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member

Wow, yea 60 dollars is definitely a better deal than 499. But would it be worth the headache of them trying to install it with the airbags in the way? Actually, if you think about it - would the headache of NOT having side airbags be worth it - , most likely not.

Ok ok, Im defnitely going to give the dealer a call later on tonight. Itll probaly add only 3 or 4 dollars onto the payment, if any.

Now, my next non-factory installation will be a sun or a moonroof (again, being the
about cars that I am, I have no idea the difference, Im thinking maybe a moonroof you cant open). She told me it'd be another 1500 for them to install one, thats way overpriced as well, right?

Thanks again for answering the moronic questions. Better to talk to people who actually own xA's, rather than my friend, who although knows what he's talking about, owns a Mazda. pssh. LOL.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

A manual pop-up sunroof will cost a bit over $300 installed. The lowest I've been quoted for an electric is just under $800.

I would definitely order the car with side airbags. You can always put in an alarm later.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Now, my next non-factory installation will be a sun or a moonroof (again, being the
about cars that I am, I have no idea the difference, Im thinking maybe a moonroof you cant open). She told me it'd be another 1500 for them to install one, thats way overpriced as well, right?

Thanks again for answering the moronic questions. Better to talk to people who actually own xA's, rather than my friend, who although knows what he's talking about, owns a Mazda. pssh. LOL.
Yesterday i went hunting for sunroof pices at different dealerships. On the phone they gave me prices ranging from $1100-1200 but once i got there...the prices skyrocketed to $1500-2900. That wasn't going to fly with me. Plus the dealerships do the sunroof AFTERMARKET anyways. So it won't be covered under toyota's warranty but under the company who installed the sunroof's warranty. I say you don't even go through the dealership. Do it aftermarket and pay less than what the dealer will charge you. Even the salesman told me to not buy it from the dealers, just go aftermarket.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would say side airbags would make a better investment rather than an alarm short of $500. I ordered my xA 06 with side air bags -flint mica, and ipod upgrade- it is sitting at port.....

I am also interested in an alarm and/or KlessEnt so on the advice of my mother I research locals here in town. For example I can get different options from Best Buy. If I remember well $99 for KlessE and $229 for alarm and KlessE, all including installation. There are other options such as remote start and bla bla bla.... as well!

I suggest you research on alarms in your town.
~Omar

ohh yeah and enjoy your car. I am anxious as well for mine (~2 more weeks).
Old 08-10-2005, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member

a good alarm/remote start/keyless entry is about 399$ from most shops in my area. so i would do that instead of the factory keyless. ask your dealer, cause sometimes they use outside shops to do the work. my scion dealer uses my old shop for their installs.

and as for getting a wire in the a-pillar? what wire are you trying to get? no install i've done had i ever had to go into the a-pillar to get a wire.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Something similar here jdmotorsports.

I went to Best Buy to ask if they had any problems with side airbags and doing the wireing -it is from here where i will get my keyless entry and remote start. They checked on the system and there were no comments or problems entered.
~Omar
Old 08-11-2005, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jdmotorsports
a good alarm/remote start/keyless entry is about 399$ from most shops in my area. so i would do that instead of the factory keyless. ask your dealer, cause sometimes they use outside shops to do the work. my scion dealer uses my old shop for their installs.

and as for getting a wire in the a-pillar? what wire are you trying to get? no install i've done had i ever had to go into the a-pillar to get a wire.
The instructions say to hit a wire in a 5-pin harness in the A Pillar. We've tried to find a suitable wire down at the kickpanel but so far, no luck.

I'm gonna' send you a PM, maybe you can help me figure out where-else to tap it.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member

Just an update, since the car is already built, they said they cant put the side airbags in - BUT - that black '05 xA I originally looked at, is still on the showroom floor, and it has side airbags, if thats what I want. The one on the floor also has a bit over 50 miles (it was a trade from another dealership, that had to be driven over).

What to do ... what to do ..
Old 08-11-2005, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just an update, since the car is already built, they said they cant put the side airbags in - BUT - that black '05 xA I originally looked at, is still on the showroom floor, and it has side airbags, if thats what I want. The one on the floor also has a bit over 50 miles (it was a trade from another dealership, that had to be driven over).

What to do ... what to do ..

IMO, get the black one with the airbags. Black xAs look hot and the airbags are something that you WON'T be putting in later. The keyless entry/alarm is an EASY add-on that hundreds of thousands of people can do for you for much less than the factory alarm.

My 2-cents, get the black one.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Personally i'd go for the 06...the black xA's look nice with black rims but for some reason the black paint looks real cheap at times with no gloss whatsoever.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Dont get mad at your dealership if they tell you its gonna be a few more weeks cause in the build pipeline, scion just doenst make too many side airbag cars. Cars did awesome in the crash test w/out side airbags. Also as far as insurance deductions, I know in the state of NY they do not give you an insurance deduction for side airbags anymore. If you have the time to wait for the car then get the airbags cause in the words of my father,
"Its better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it."
Old 08-12-2005, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member

I agree that you would be smart $$-wise to get an aftermarket security system or keyless entry. I must admit that I'm lucky though since I had a friend with 3 year's experience do the install. He advised me to get an Audiovox system with keyless entry, alarm, and remote start. I found that for under $100 on ebay, and he installed it in about 3 hours (which he said was a long time, but he had never put one in a Scion). I'm pretty happy and saved some money.

Just my $.02 USD.

Quick Reply: Airbags or Keyless Entry?