Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

another VSC, ABS, TRAC control, emergency BRAKE problem..

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default another VSC, ABS, TRAC control, emergency BRAKE problem..

alright so i need your guy's help on this.
to make a long story short, my neighbor was helping me jump start my car and he accidentally connected my positive to his negative.
ABS, TRAC control, VSC, and the BRAKE lights are ALWAYS on now.
i tried using the search function:

all fuses are okay.
can't be alignment bcuz the lights just turned on the minute i jump started my car.
the ECU should be fine. i've tried resetting it a couple of times and the car starts with no problems.
the MAF sensor is clean.
i had a local mechanic look at it and they believe i have to go to the dealership and get the module replaced for the ABS, VSC, TRAC control.

i would like to have a couple opinions on this cuz i couldn't really find the answer to it.

and if anyone in SO-CAL know any mechanics that know/specialize on scions that i could go to, please let me know
i want the dealership to be my last option.

thanks guys.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

so sad to hear this brian, but i was bustin up when first heard it from emerson.

anways if anyone out there can help him out, please do his a great guy.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

you blew somthing out...you are never supposed to revers polarity..your lucky you didnt take your computer out

perhaps it is just the ABS module that got blown out?
could you let us know what it is when you get it figured out?

and good luck
Old 08-18-2008, 05:02 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Find someone with an OBDII scanner that is willing to plug in and check your ECU for codes. If things are idling fine and you haven't had any other issues while driving, then you may just have a code or two that need clearing.
I noticed you said you reset the ECU a few times and the car starts without problems, but HOW did you go about resetting the ECU? I'm not insinuating that you don't know what you're doing, just that many people are confused as to what it takes to truly reset the ECU. Just removing the negative from the battery for a few seconds will not clear the codes and reset the ECU.
Good luck! It would really suck to have to replace anything just because of a simple mistake during a jump start!
Old 08-18-2008, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got an OBDII scanner and it said something like the camgear timing is retarded..? or something of that nature

but i didn't even touch the engine, could that be why all my lights are on though?

and yeah, i guess i didn't reset the ECU completely, because i just removed the negative terminal numerous times for like 10 minutes.

when i called the scion dealership, they told me that i just blew the 100 v linkage fuse...? which would cost me $22 for the part, and $184 for the labor.

but i'm going to go to another mechanic and get another opinion before I go there
Old 08-18-2008, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: another VSC, ABS, TRAC control, emergency BRAKE problem.

Originally Posted by brionxB
alright so i need your guy's help on this.
to make a long story short, my neighbor was helping me jump start my car and he accidentally connected my positive to his negative.
Where was his positive at the time? Connected to your positive, connected to your negative, or not connected to anything? It would make a huge difference in what actually happened to cause your symptoms!
Old 08-18-2008, 07:35 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

If any codes have been thrown by the ECU, the dash will light up like a Christmas tree. Once a code has been thrown, it typically will not clear by itself.
Did you clear the codes with the OBDII scanner once you pulled them? If not, give that a shot. You may luck out and find that you've only got a code to clear and all will be back to normal.
You can clear all the codes and reset the ECU by removing the negative from the battery, then turn the ignition key to ON, leave it for a minute or so, then turn the key back to OFF and reconnect the negative back to the battery.
Restart the car and see if the VSC, TRAC, and ABS lights come back on. If so, you may have a legitimate error that needs to be looked at by a trained technician. It is very possible that the Scion dealership you spoke to was correct. I have seen problems with the linkage block cause some strange issues.
Hopefully, it's just a couple of codes and nothing serious.
Good luck!
Old 08-19-2008, 04:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

UV7. i appreciate your input bro.

i actually did clear the codes with the OBDII, and the check engine light went away, but VSC, ABS, emergency brake, and trac control are still there.

i'll try resetting the ECU, by doing what u said. putting ignition on the ON position and removing the negative terminal. hopefully that'll take em off.

but if anything yes, i might just need to go to the scion dealership.

does anyone know any mechanics that specialize on scions that is in SOcal near or in the san fernando valley?
Old 08-19-2008, 04:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: another VSC, ABS, TRAC control, emergency BRAKE problem.

Originally Posted by pooder
Where was his positive at the time? Connected to your positive, connected to your negative, or not connected to anything? It would make a huge difference in what actually happened to cause your symptoms!
my positive was connected to his negative, and his positive was connected to my negative. it was all connected, just switched
Old 07-25-2012, 04:29 PM

Default Same problem!

For a couple of years now, I have been searching for an answer to why I am having the same exact problem. I was surprised that someone else was having this problem as a result of the same exact circumstances.
I have had the codes read on my '05 and its throwing out the ABS Control Module.
I have never reset the ECU in the way that was described in this thread and wondering if that may be it.
When I called about the control module, I believe I was given an estimate for a sensor in the wheels, not the actual module.
Does anyone know how hard it is to replace the module? Is it located with the ECU or separately?