Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Anything to watch for?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 01:45 PM

Default Anything to watch for?

Just bought my 2006 xB this weekend, with 66k miles and automatic trans.
Is there anything I should look out for? I know various cars have their own “issues” and problems, so any advance help would be appreciated.

Looking forward to racking up 100k+ miles…
Old 12-15-2008, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

yeah...watch out for motorcycles and pedestrians...they come seem to come from no-where

good solid vehicles these Boxes are...
Old 12-15-2008, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The usuals. . .

Do not stay behind large trucks and vehicles, the windshields on the xB's aren't known to be very crack resistant. lol

Don't worry about the car acting like it's sluggish when the cara is cold. Indicated by the blue temp light on the dash. If you didn't know already the car turns off Overdrive while the car temp is below 137 Degrees. Ths causing the cara to shift later then usual. This is normal.

Do not get inchannel window visors from AVS they don't fit right and have a tendency to explode when they get stuck while rolling up the windows. lol Wade/weathertech for inchannels and the ESAM knock offs FTW. If you want window visors.

Wiperblades generally don't fit the xB too well. Most people end up finding a combination fo 19" for driver and 18" for passenger even though the book size is 20" for both. There have been many threads about which ones to use.

Some owners have reported rust issues near the corners of the door behind the rubber seal. Most commonly found on the driver side top corner. Some people have it and some don't. Warranty does not cover this. Most people just end up sealing it themselves. It's really not a big deal.

Taking out the rear headrests gives for a better view of everything behind you, however the down side is if that jack@$$ of a SUV or huge vehicle is behind you, you will go blind. lol

A 6'5" person can sit in the car comfortably, I know I've done it with one of my friends.

Only use the transmission fluid from the dealer because normal mercon/dextron will not cut it in the xB's Auto tranny. As far as I can tell it's a synthetic that no one has laid claim to be safe for the xB.

I'm trying to think of more cause there is more but it's usually stuff that is not too big of a deal. The car is pretty solid unless you are like me and just have bad luck. lol
Old 12-15-2008, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Look out for noisy belts, especially in the heater and A/C. They may need to be replaced or adjusted. They sound bad, but do no harm.

Some people have a rough idle, it's normal.

Dash can vibrate at certain RPMs, but is easily fixed with a few well placed rubber "bumpers"

Don't be alarmed by long shifts on a cold morning, the Auto trans holds low gears on purpose to warm itself up faster.

You might wanna install/replace the cabin filter.

Other than that, look for smooth sailing to 100k and beyond.

-THE DON
Old 12-15-2008, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default .....CABIN AIR FILTER INFORMATION....

Watch out for your CABIN AIR FILTER....
Scion does not provide a filter, and if your previous owner did not belong to ScionLife or any of the other XB boards, they might NOT have known to install a CABIN AIR FILTER. Even if they did know about this filter, check it to see if it needs replacing. In 10 or 15 thousand miles, this filter will be discollored by polen and debris.
Do not buy this filter from the dealer for $22 or $38 installed.
Instead, go to the TECH section and read the thread called 'Fabricate your own CABIN AIR FILTER'. See the photos showing how to pop off the glove box to access tray. OR, make a filter yourself and brag about your savings.
Any parts store should have this filter for $12. Filters are also available on e-bay for less than $10 each including shipping.

Welcome to ScionLife !
Old 12-15-2008, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Issues?

Wow, good tips already. Didn’t even know it HAD a cabin filter, thought the first post was a typo. Time to digest the owner manual tonight after work.

I knew the blue light was cold coolant, caught me off-guard. Went to leave the dealer after the sale and it came on, I was afraid maybe the level was low. Had the salesman and manager under the hood while I read the book & saw the cold indicator light. Went out while I was reading. Kinda funny!

Thanks for the tips, keep ‘em coming.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The cabin air filter was a biggie lol I forgot about that one. Nice one xBhawk!

oh yeah, some people replace the rear shocks for a softer ride I forget the monroe number but all you have to do is do a search.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as mentioned before, check those belts. my box was at 50K EXACTLY when the power steering belt shredded, so make sure you replace those two belts in there.

i guess all the usual fluids and such.

check the shocks and bushings to make sure they're not shot or leaky.

of course, check for any rusting underneath.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Anything to watch for?

Originally Posted by JerryXb
Is there anything I should look out for? I know various cars have their own “issues” and problems, so any advance help would be appreciated.

This isn't a "watch for" but rather a comfort mod I really like on Stubby, my '06 box. Remove the front bolts and loosen the back bolts that hold down the front seats. Then get 4 replacement bolts about 1/2" longer and enough washers that size that will make 4 sets of 1/2" spacers. Then put the washers under the fronts of the seats and put in the new bolts and tighten everything back down. That will make your seats slope back to a much more comfortable angle. You can try different lengths of bolts and numbers of washers, but that's about the thickness I used and I'm happy. And enjoy the heck out of your "new" car . . . .
Old 12-16-2008, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hello Jerry Xb!

I also have an '06/auto box! Mines just 40k right now so I will watch your posts for progress!

The guys have pretty much covered it all! Should have no major issues with your car.

Not sure if you are mechanical, but the Progress sway bar bushings are a cheap and easy upgrade!

Enjoy the ride! Don't let the Mod bug bite you too hard!

Robert
Old 12-16-2008, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^^^OMG!
Look who's posting over here instead of that "toy" site...
Old 12-16-2008, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Anything to watch for?

Originally Posted by pooder

This isn't a "watch for" but rather a comfort mod I really like on Stubby, my '06 box. Remove the front bolts and loosen the back bolts that hold down the front seats. Then get 4 replacement bolts about 1/2" longer and enough washers that size that will make 4 sets of 1/2" spacers. Then put the washers under the fronts of the seats and put in the new bolts and tighten everything back down. That will make your seats slope back to a much more comfortable angle. You can try different lengths of bolts and numbers of washers, but that's about the thickness I used and I'm happy. And enjoy the heck out of your "new" car . . . .
Thanks, I might try that over the holidays. I totaled my Blazer last week & still pretty sore, so deciding what’s “really” comfortable will have to wait a bit. But that sounds like a simple mod, even I can attempt…
Old 12-27-2008, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: 'Burbs Farmington Hills - go to school in Boulder, CO

just as a warning, it's light, so ice/snow/heavy winds will ALL mess with you. Defiantly the snow and wind. This box is like a sail!
Old 12-28-2008, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Metro273
^^^OMG!
Look who's posting over here instead of that "toy" site...
Hey Metro!

They let me out on a day pass for good behavior!

Trying to spend more time here...like the good old days!

Robert
Old 12-28-2008, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by mrfuzzy4
just as a warning, it's light, so ice/snow/heavy winds will ALL mess with you. Defiantly the snow and wind. This box is like a sail!
No kidding. Last weekend with 40mph winds I was all over I71. Not the most aerodynamic vehicle ever made is it?
Old 12-28-2008, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mrfuzzy4
No kidding. Last weekend with 40mph winds I was all over I71. Not the most aerodynamic vehicle ever made is it?
the fact that we seem to be a mix between a cardboard box and a billboard doesn't help us
Old 01-03-2009, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And if you get sleepy eyed... just pop the headrest off the front seat back, slide the seat all the way forward then recline the front seatback all the way down to level with the seat bottom of the rear seat.... WAALAA.... instant nappy time!

(Note!) this will not work with the 2nd gen's)
Old 01-03-2009, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by saddlesore
And if you get sleepy eyed... just pop the headrest off the front seat back, slide the seat all the way forward then recline the front seatback all the way down to level with the seat bottom of the rear seat.... WAALAA.... instant nappy time!
or do what i always wanted to do and keep an inflatable twin air matress in your box and fold down the front seats with the headrests off and push them all the way forwards, remove the rear seat headrests and fold those down, inflate and sleep! it's flat all the way to the front!
Old 01-03-2009, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My ONLY problem so far has been those darn front brakes.

Watch for a clicking noise from the front brakes when applying the brakes while backing up.

It's those little pad mounting clips at the top and bottom that bent a little with a pair of needle nose pliers. That'll cure the noise.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

watch out for passing semi's damn things about blow me off the road, especially when the winds get up in centex

damn belts started howling after 15k on mine, just had them replaced last week, so far so good

my passenger side rear window does not like to roll down when the temp is up over the 80 degree mark, several other guys have reported similar problems.

people will ask you wtf that thing is... you tell them it is the baddest car ever invented.

mine is an 05 model with 53k miles, I have had it since june of 04 , besides the belts and an occasional sticking c in the cd player I haven't had any trouble out of my x-box. I Great car with consistent 29+ mpg in the city and over 35mpg highway in the automatic on low grade.

Quick Reply: Anything to watch for?