Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Armrest on Driver's Door

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member

Default Armrest on Driver's Door

The plastic on the driver's door armrest really is uncomfortably hard on my elbow. Anyone came up with a solution that doesn't look home-rigged?
Old 11-01-2004, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

yeah it's called opening the window...
Old 11-01-2004, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by xA RS ChickLA
yeah it's called opening the window...
fiesty

if you're using that door armrest i'm guessing you're either really short or got a stub for an arm. you can always try having an upholstry shop put some thin foam with fabric over it on the door. give you some cushion and it won't look ghetto rigged unless the shop did a ghetto job. that armrest piece on the door you're talking about would be fairly easy to put foam/fabric over it from the sides, the front would take someone with some upholstry knowledge to bring it all together looking clean. the sides you can just pop the door panel off and sandwich the fabric over the sides and back of that piece.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member

Apparently some people don't mind riding around LA with the window down breathing the most polluted air in the country. Go figure.

I like to keep my left hand low on the steering wheel when I drive and that's just where my arm ends up, on the armrest. As bad as it is, it's better than NO armrest like my other arm finds between the front seats. I'm thinking an aftermarket one will go there real soon.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

https://www.scionlife.com/parts/item...&sub_cat_id=37
Old 11-02-2004, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Found quick and FREE solution to center arm rest. took rear head rest and slid between front seat backs, the two slider rods rest in long slotted cubby holder and rear center cup holder. you can still remove easily and the second head rest sits on center hump with slider rods stradling center console, they stay clean and clear of rear vision for lane changing/backing up. the height and extension of head/arm rest is quite nice and the only drawback is if passenger wants to use at the same time :?
Old 11-02-2004, 02:13 AM
5 Year Member

That's a good idea, using the headrest for a quick solution to the armrest problem. I am leaning towards the aftermarket one that simply sits in the rear "cup holder" rather than the ones that require installation. Anyone tried the model I'm speaking of?
Old 11-02-2004, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

first... satsuma, i'll just call that technique "cheap ___"

second, you talking about my armrest jontul?

Old 11-02-2004, 02:45 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

hey tbblizzard. I had PM'd you about the armrests and no response. How much are they? pm me back please
Old 11-02-2004, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

sorry, i don't answer pm's very often. i have put a hold on making the armrests for a little while, i'm currently trying to find a company to take over the design and start producing them. i'll be back up with it and taking orders probably in a week or less. make sure you're emailing my tbblizzard@gmail.com and not pm'ing me.

they're $140 + shipping
Old 11-02-2004, 04:57 AM
5 Year Member

That IS the armrest I've been considering. My biggest question is about stability. Is there double-sided tape or velcro connecting the armrest inside the cupholder? Does it wobble at all when your arm is on it?

Unless there's a serious flaw I'm not aware of yet, this looks to be the absolute best solution I've seen. I like the storage and the look. If you have time to answer the questions above, I'd appreciate it. I suspect I'll be a customer.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:21 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you are concerned about stability or the armrest moving, using the cupholder/console is not the ideal way to go. You need a hard-mount to the floor or seat tracks for absolute stability.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

zeta always trying to jump in... take a look at the zeta armrest (that is made by an actual company oddly enough) then look at my armrest. i'm seriously starting to get annoyed by the fact that a company is promoting products that don't even look complete.

it's two pieces of bare metal along the sides... if you want a flip armrest go with JJ Products. the quality is better and it will match your interior better. if you want storage, either mine or the toyota console box will work, you will be waiting a while for the toyota one to get shipped to you though. i'm still waiting on parts from tokyo that i ordered a while back.

here's the JJ Products armrest
Old 11-02-2004, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

missed the questions you asked...
i make the mounts from my own console. i make a cast from fiberglass so it is a direct fit, there's no wobbling. you just drop it in, it is a tight fit since it is molded, but it does not damage your console and you don't need to modify anything, can be removed easily if you need to.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Todd, hey man how's it going? I wanted to let you know I referred a couple of ScionLife peeps to your PM, just in case. They were nice, wanted info on your custom armrest and generally interested in it.

Also, I should be going down to San Diego this month if you still are interested in the SUS...Been busy at work. Take it easy.

Al.Truistic
aB
Originally Posted by tbblizzard
sorry, i don't answer pm's very often. i have put a hold on making the armrests for a little while, i'm currently trying to find a company to take over the design and start producing them. i'll be back up with it and taking orders probably in a week or less. make sure you're emailing my tbblizzard@gmail.com and not pm'ing me.

they're $140 + shipping
Old 11-02-2004, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

suck it up and just drive.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Al.Truistic
Todd, hey man how's it going? I wanted to let you know I referred a couple of ScionLife peeps to your PM, just in case. They were nice, wanted info on your custom armrest and generally interested in it.

Also, I should be going down to San Diego this month if you still are interested in the SUS...Been busy at work. Take it easy.

Al.Truistic
aB
yes, still want it... just give me a call when you're ready.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

got a pic of the "cheap ___" armrest?
Old 11-03-2004, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

tbblizzard,
FREE is the cheapest way to do anything. what I would really like to see is individual armrests on both front seats like in the CRV/Caravan. my FREE solution allows me a place to rest my arm.
djct_watt
sorry I can't post pic but the set up is simple, just place rear headrest between seats, I have the concave side towards driver, and slide down so that the two rods fit into the rectangular tray and the rear cup holder respectivley. the two holders are at the same level so the setup is level and you can still access ebrake and use console tray for most items.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

true true... individual armrests would be very nice also, but then it would start feeling like a caravan