Auto xBs....what's your mileage.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 03:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

first tankful I got 31.15mpg

my driving is almost all freeway at rushour both directions air on every afternoon and sometimes in the morning as well. usually alone [I am heavy so it would be like having two skinny people in the car] 30 miles each way

currently totally stock.

next week gets the spoiler [ I am SURE that will add 10hp and 5mph ] Leather interior and the carbon dash [ that adds more horsepower too right ]
Old 09-13-2004, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So what things should we look at to up our milage. better spark plugs etc. Lets make a list.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Auto xBs....what's your mileage.

Originally Posted by KingLou
Hey......guys/gals with automatic xBs out there...........what is your gas mileage.

And I don't mean what do you THINK you're getting. I need numbers from people that reset their trip meter at the pump, use the number of gallons they fill the next time they hit the pump, and actually do the math. No estimates please.
Also, to be truely accurate you either need to fill up until you can get no more in or just pump until the first click and then return to the same exact pump next fill-up.

I'm going to start calculating my MPG. I have an auto Box
Old 09-13-2004, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i posted a while ago on this topic (ie MPG XB topic title) and have consistently been getting 25-28 MPG, My 92 civic, with 200,000 miles on the motor, 30+++ MPG.....on our box however we currently have almost 6000 miles, should be well broken in, the car is daily driven by wife to / from work approx 15 miles each way, all highway (work and house right off xpressway)...my question tho is how many of u top off your tank?....cant remember who, but someone posted to not do that , as it floods the charcoal filter....but then there is the narrow filler neck issue on the boxes, so the question is , how much SHOULD you top it off to with out flooding the filter in the tank?...also how important is it to use GOOD gas (ie texaco, shell, etc..NOT gate, racetrak *ewww) i personally use Sam's gas, not sure who the vendor is, but acheived the above stated MPG on my old **** civic witht hat very same gas...dont see why it would matter on the Xb....just my .02
Old 09-13-2004, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cmdxb
i posted a while ago on this topic (ie MPG XB topic title) and have consistently been getting 25-28 MPG,
That's $hitty for the highway. I don't recall seeing anyone posting more than 31 on the highway :?

My 92 civic, with 200,000 miles on the motor, 30+++ MPG.....on our box however we currently have almost 6000 miles, should be well broken in, the car is daily driven by wife to / from work approx 15 miles each way, all highway (work and house right off xpressway)...my question tho is how many of u top off your tank?
I have been filling my tank up as high as possible (probably 5 fill-ups at this point).

....cant remember who, but someone posted to not do that , as it floods the charcoal filter....but then there is the narrow filler neck issue on the boxes, so the question is , how much SHOULD you top it off to with out flooding the filter in the tank?...
I would also like to know this. I'm going to check the next time how much gas I get in (to the max) after the initial clicking / stopping of the pump. Then divide the number in half and just fill to that point each fill-up, if that is true about the canister.

also how important is it to use GOOD gas (ie texaco, shell, etc..NOT gate, racetrak *ewww) i personally use Sam's gas, not sure who the vendor is, but acheived the above stated MPG on my old **** civic witht hat very same gas...dont see why it would matter on the Xb....just my .02
My buddy told me about this a couple years ago. He said Wal-Mart, Enmark and some of these off brands gas are junk! I do remember him saying Shell and Amaco had high ratings. I used Shell 93 in my GSR powered Civic and now Shell 87 in my Box.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
N.G.S.O.

Also, let's not forget that the xB's odometer inaccurately records only 95.5% of the mileage you drive.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...976&highlight=
Old 09-13-2004, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member

I believe the brand of gas does make a difference:

I own a manual xB, however, gas brand does make a difference in my mileage. I drive a total 80 miles a day to and from work, and keep a calculator in the car to compute my MPG on the spot:

Chevron: Gave me the best gas milage overall using regular (32-35 mpg). Using Supreme, I consistently get 20 extra miles to the tank full...Mid Grade has given me little or no noticeable difference (0- .5 mpg).

Arco: Comes in a close second, about 1.2 MPG less than Chevron.

Mobile: 3.5 mpg less than Chevron

Shell: Same as Mobil

76: About the same a Mobil, however I also noticed some pinging when accelerating up a long hill in hot weather, which was not present with the other Brands of gas.

Costco: 4.7 less than Chevron, no difference using regular or super.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

tcm xB, but i SAVE sooo much money by going to sams...1.73 a gallon to 1.90 somethin a gallon at other places!..hehe, but i can def belive that wally world / sams gas is cr@p, why else would it be so cheap right?.....let us know how that fill up scenario works as far as dividing it by 2, heck u never know that may help too
Old 09-14-2004, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member

i have around 2500 on the odo now and mileage hasnt changed, i drive 90 miles each way to work and im still at 31.44444444444 all interstate running 70.
no air running and im filling it up so that the gas sits at the neck so its consistant.

im gonna switch to synthetic valvoline i think. un sure yet, oil changes come up fast lol and thats expensive.

i was getting 36.5 mpg from my civic ex 5speed. i had no problem getting 360 miles out of a tank and its the same size as the xb, 11.9 gallons. i can squeeze 325 miles out of the xb.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Little better than 32 mpg on my last trip to Boston.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member

First fill up. 27 mpg. All local driving and delivering newspapers every a.m.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default same boat - er box

Auto xB, 2650 miles on it.

Fill tank between 250 and 270 miles. (rarely under 1/4 tank).

1 time lowest was 28.38 mpg. 1 time highest was 35.6 mpg (all hwy at 65 mph - flat). All other fills 29.7 -29.9.

Very consistent numbers for very consistant driving - I suppose. I drive 16 miles r/t foir work - six of those miles are on freeway - five times a week. One day a week I drive 80 miles r/t for a dog training class (canine agility - a story for Off-Topic Cafe). Fill the tank every 8 or 9 days.

From what I'm hearing. I'm having typical mpg for an auto xB.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I average about 32 mpg with about 50/50 city/hwy miles on a daily driving basis, with the A/C on all the time. I check my mpg at every fill up, and I've got about 4500 miles on it now. I don't drive with a lead foot, but I'm not like Old Mother Hubbard, either.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

remember when you change to larger diameter tires/wheels you are changing your gear ratio and your milage will go down
Old 09-21-2004, 08:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i went to tj from la puente and back with just a full tank of gas(a lil under the last line).... and did a lil crusing in TJ also.... how good or bad is that...
the light came on when i reached the 60 fwy off the 57 on the way back.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

30 MPG on average with "spirited" driving.
Seems to get better with 6000 miles on the Odo.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member

"remember when you change to larger diameter tires/wheels you are changing your gear ratio and your milage will go down"

Larger diameter tires = less RPMs at speed = better MPG, right?
Old 09-21-2004, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Filled up and headed to Boston Exposed on Sunday (200+mi r/t). 70 - 75 mph up & back. Then a round trip to work yesterday(50+mi). Filled up when I got home with over 1/4 showing on the gage. 33.8 mpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Old 09-22-2004, 03:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I have 3000 Miles now

I have tracked every tank

Stock I got 25 MPG

Then I put in a tornado and got 25 MPG
Then I put in a fuel Ionizer and got 25 MPG
I put on my roof rack and got 25 MPG
Then I went to the GT Track and ran it really hard for 10 laps and got 25 MPG
Then I put on my bug shield and got 25 MPG

Then I put in a hyper grouding system and Optima battery.....and got

25 MPG

Screw it, I'm not even gonna track it anymore.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Had my xB for over a year and have put 10,500+ miles on it. I maintained a record of the MPG for every tankfull for the first year. In mixed driving over twelve months I averaged 28.2 MPG. Worse in city only driving at +-24 MPG, and the best on a trip to San Diego and back at 31.4 MPG.
Frankly it sure beats my old S10 Blazer, V-6 auto, by ..... well you figure it out.

Quick Reply: Auto xBs....what's your mileage.