Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Best way to protect the xB on a long trip....

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We bought our cars (mine's an xB, her's is a Mini Cooper) to be driven. We take excellent care of them and we enjoy driving them. We drove the Cooper out to Vegas and had a blast. We couldn't see ourselves renting a car for a roadtrip like that.

Next trip we'll be taking the box.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Rent the car!!

You'll save the windshield the front end and the MILES!!

Trust me my box looks about ten years old!!! And the ws should have been replaced about six months ago now it really does!!!

have fun!
Old 08-04-2005, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LVScionGal
Rent the car!!

You'll save the windshield the front end and the MILES!!

Trust me my box looks about ten years old!!! And the ws should have been replaced about six months ago now it really does!!!

have fun!
Thanks! It's a done deal. The car is already reserved. We pick it up around 4:00 Friday afternoon, and we hit the road early Saturday morning. I can't wait. We miss our friends, plus I've never been to Chicago.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey Matt,

Off topic but how did you get two cars in one pic like that??

:D
Old 08-04-2005, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

Rent a car... I took my tC to Baltimore and ended up with a broken windshield.. and a ruined roadtrip
Old 08-04-2005, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rdclark
Originally Posted by matt_a
...if you dent a fender or ding a door, you get no choice about whether or not to pay for the bodywork.
RichC
Ah, but that's the great thing about a rental. They have this dirt-cheap insurance you get that basically gives you total freedom. If the car is damaged you don't worry about fixing it.
Depends on what you consider "dirt cheap." Especially since you're already paying for a car insurance policy that probably already covers rentals.

RichC
Most personal car insurance policies do cover accidental damage that is done to a rental car.... but it DOES NOT cover... the days that the car is out of rental service. So, if the rental car is out of rental service for several weeks or more to have damages repaired, then the person who rented the car is responsible for rental charges for that period of time....

That is why I always get the extra insurance at a rental car agency.

Jim
Old 08-04-2005, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Banana Boat
Most personal car insurance policies do cover accidental damage that is done to a rental car.... but it DOES NOT cover... the days that the car is out of rental service. So, if the rental car is out of rental service for several weeks or more to have damages repaired, then the person who rented the car is responsible for rental charges for that period of time....

I'm sorry, but someone has sold you a boatload of bananas. But go ahead and do whatever makes you feel good.

RichC
Old 08-04-2005, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get a rock blocking film put on the front of it. I did that before a long trip and boy am I glad that I did.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LVScionGal
hey Matt,

Off topic but how did you get two cars in one pic like that??

:D
Someone on here did it for me. I sent you a PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sorry, but someone has sold you a boatload of bananas. But go ahead and do whatever makes you feel good.

RichC
You get your info where you please, and I will do likewise. My car insurance agent informed me about the additional rental charges if the rental car is put out of service because of an accident... I will take his word before yours.

Jim
Old 08-04-2005, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Banana Boat, I apologize, your information is better than mine. It turns out that only 8 states - Alaska, Connecticut, Louisiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, New York, Rhode Island and Texas - require auto insurance to offer "loss of use" coverage on rented cars.

Unfortunately, it's rare to be able to buy loss of use coverage by itself, even if your own policy and/or credit card insurance already cover everything else.

What all this tells me is that I will continue to drive my own cars on trips!

RichC
Old 08-04-2005, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member

...if you dent a fender or ding a door, you get no choice about whether or not to pay for the bodywork.
RichC
Ah, but that's the great thing about a rental. They have this dirt-cheap insurance you get that basically gives you total freedom. If the car is damaged you don't worry about fixing it.
Depends on what you consider "dirt cheap." Especially since you're already paying for a car insurance policy that probably already covers rentals.

RichC

Jim

Well I work for a rental car co and the LDW/CDW is anywhere from 16.99 to 35.99 depending on the company and/or the type of vehicle. From the things I have seen I totally take coverage. Its not worth it not to. I dont want to pay a deductable and go thru my own co so my rate go up. Thats nuts. My LDW cost come out to about the same for my deductable but I have a "worry free" rental. Me personally I always rent if going more than 5 hours away. I also like the Neverlost (GPS) for places I have no clue as to where Im going. Im leaving for Norfolk next week with a side trip to Clemson SC to see my Dad -- Rental Car here we come. MyLilXBox can stay home and rest.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Opps.....
Old 08-04-2005, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Before I ran the box to Austin, I never thought I'd take it on a long road trip.
That little car rode good, even with the 18's. I wouldn't have a problem taking it cross country.
It's a blast to drive!
Had I driven it nicely, I probably could have made the round trip on one tank.

WW
Old 08-04-2005, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member

Over 5 years, you'll spend about $750 on rentals, but you'll have 7,500 fewer miles on your car and it will be in better over-all condition. That will pay for itsself in resale value.
maybe....of course any of the stuff you're worried about happening to the xb on a long trip can just as easily happen on a 5 minute trip.....and then you're just out the $750....

but i just love to drive mine too much to leave it at home.....i loaded it up with guitars, amps, a tent, camping junk, a small pa and my wife and drove to escanaba, mi a few months back for a show.....if i'd been driving a rental the trip wouldn't have been anyhwere near as much fun.....

d
Old 08-05-2005, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

COLGAN BRA! easy on easy off and only costs around 140 bucks. Don't leave on a long trip without one.