Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

To Box or not to box?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 03:12 AM
5 Year Member

Default To Box or not to box?

Im 16 and thinkin about getting a Xb soon in blue or black. Im a little scared about committing to a box, since im gonna have to keep it for at least 4 years,and i dont know if i will still love how it looks in 4 years. Do you guys think that you will still be able to put up with your box after 4 years, and if you could, would you trade your box in now?
ps How bad do you think depreciation will be on the box?
Old 11-09-2004, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

buy a box
14k car
cheapest car that you will actually like to drive! :-d
Old 11-09-2004, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

why would u have to keep it for at least 4 years?? you can always trade it in and take the hit on the payments. but that would suck.
get the box, i am. i've been in love with the car since i seen it in january here in philly.

Jim
Old 11-09-2004, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm 18 (was 17 when I got the box) and figure I'll have this car for 5+ years. My advice is to chill out, wait a month or 2, and see if you still like the scion. Then wait another 2 weeks. If you do, get one. If you're not feeling it, get something different.

For all the hip hop advertising, remember that you're buying a toyota when you buy a scion. Cars aren't a money making investment, but you won't lose hyundai amounts of money when you buy this car. It'll still run fine in 5 or even 10 years.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

get the box, live in the now...The problem with todays society is not living in the moment, go with your heart and buy the box....
Old 11-09-2004, 03:36 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd say get it, they're surely the best buy all around imo. No other car I looked at came with the amount of features (some not even half!) as the xB (and any Scion) come with. I guess they're holding up well in their value too from what I've heard.

To quote Ben Stiller... "Do it."

Really though, it's up to you.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:39 AM
5 Year Member

I think the box is a great financial decision. It's cheap. Get's good milage. Cheap insurance. Toyota reliability. I'll be giving ours to our now 14 year old in two years so we can get a new one.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

if you are payin for it yerself like me (19 almost 20) dont . unless you can 100% for sure know that you will not lose yer job like i did . cuz now i've got to sell it.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

oh and if yer parents r payin get something way more expensive . cuz i mean ____ they're gettin the bill right?
Old 11-09-2004, 04:05 AM
5 Year Member

my moms payin for it, but i have to pay for gas, so im lookin for somethin with good mpg. I was about to buy a 2001 accord coupe v6, but its mpg is 20 28, which doesnt seem to be that great for a honda. Thought bout a tc, but cant find one under 18k. Im either gonna buy an accord or tc,xb,prius so give me your opinion before its too late
Old 11-09-2004, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

accord v6 two door ex or an xb. id say shoot for the stars and get a wrx insurance and gas arent too bad considerin what you'll get to roll on. must be nice. id kill to get someone to pay any part of my bills. im gonna have horrible credit after i default on my loan and lose my box but thats what happens some times i suppose.....MUST BE NICE...MUST BE NICE
Old 11-09-2004, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default box

drive box,eat box,love box
Old 11-09-2004, 06:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

One simple thing drew me to Scion as a college student.

I HAD a V8 Lexus LS400. Maintainence, insurance, gas. . . these things, gas in particular, are variable costs with the things you do. In a car that consumes more gas and to a lesser extent costs more to maintain, it means that you will have less to spend on your budget every month. If you want to drive somewhere far, you will have to think about gas. If you want to cruise for awhile. . . gas. I got to the point that gas was limiting me from doing things that I wanted. Going to LA from Sacramento? $120, round trip, just for gas(it NEEDS premium). Nevermind the costs of food, drinks, and clubs, gas alone is $120 in the Lexus.

Now what is the Scion. Baby, for me Scion is freedom. I can drive where ever I want! I can go to LA and not worry about gas! Mileage is so great I can cruise all day and not hurt my pockets too badly. LA? It now only costs me $45 for the gas! That's chump change, if I can afford an LA trip. I'm spending $20 in gas a week when I used to spend about $55!!! Freedom baby, freedom.

Bling all you want, it won't get you a job, won't get you friends, and ultimately won't get you laid. I know from experience. It's all about where you are and what you are doing. And being young is all about doing it all. Going out all the time, partying, clubbing. . . having an expensive luxo car maybe nice and all, but if you are stuck at home or at close-by places, it ain't gonna do much for you.

But this is my story, and I realize an Accord isn't a Lexus V8 either. But I think my experience is somewhat relevant and similar to yours. If you got tons of money and you are willing to spend it, always get the best. But if you live on planet Earth, here with the rest of us. . . you ask me, I'd rather have my freedom.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

but his mommy is paying so it's all good man. lol i want an sc300 yeah . lol or better yet 430
Old 11-09-2004, 07:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

but who's paying for gas? And how much will he get for gas? Does he have a monthly allowance for gas? oh and the SC300 are bad @ss. You can get a better deal on the SC than a Supra, and it's essentially the same car. Only it's a 2JZ-GE instead of -GTE, but swaps can be done. the 430/400 engines are great, and can handle boost, if anybody ever suped them up. . . but they are one of the most under-respected engines out there. Teardowns of the 1UZ-FE reveal how bulletbroof they really are. Too bad nobody realizes that.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i bet theyre gr8 . one day i will own a nice ___ sc . one day.. i bet the subies arent that bad on gas. even if only a gas bill nice. id kill for it
Old 11-09-2004, 08:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Subaru's do NOT get very good mileage compared to a lot of cars out there. My STi averaged about 16-18 in the city and only around 22 on the highway, for a 4 cylinder, that's CRAP. If his mom is paying for it, does it mean he has to be a dick and make her buy him the most expensive thing? No. He's 16. Personally I would get the box. I just bought one, and I'm sure I won't regret it. They are CHEAP on EVERYTHING from gas to insurance to car payments, while still providing a lot of the features only found in cars that are much more expensive. I say get the xB and enjoy not having a boring vehicle :-)
Old 11-09-2004, 12:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"Once you go Box, you'll never go back"
Get BSP.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member

Bluedevil
When you see your parents next time walk up to your dad and shake his hand and say thank you. When you see your mom give her a hug and say thank you. For a 16 year old young man this is a ver rational and well thought out question. Your parent(s) have raised a smart kid.

Now on to your question. You cant go wrong with the xB. Lets take a look at why.

When you buy a Xb you will get a car that:
@ will appeal to the right brained people for a long time (those of us who are creative minded). = Style for a while
@ Is great on gas = less $$ out of your pocket
@ Unless you beat the hell out of it will keep you out of trouble with the police. = less $$ out of your pocket
@ is cheap to insure, even as a 16 year old. = less $$ out of your pocket or your parents either way this is good
@ Is cheap to buy = less $$ out of your pocket
@ Hella fun to cruise around in
@ Manufactured by toyota = less $$ out of your pocket

Do you see where this is going? If you take care of this car you should be able to drive it till your out of school whether it be college or just high school. Either way by the time you are working on getting your life started after school you will have a functional vehicle that will most likely be paid off and still running great and you can haul all your "stuff". Once you get established and begin to earn a living you will then be able to buy what ever you want to buy with all the $$ you saved while driving this ride.

From a purely financial stand point there is no reason not too. From a fun, style stand point there is no reason not to. One thing you will find about owning a box is that you will love it so much that you wont care that anyone thinks its goofy looking in 4 years.

Good luck on your decision.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Max2k
I'm 18 (was 17 when I got the box) and figure I'll have this car for 5+ years. My advice is to chill out, wait a month or 2, and see if you still like the scion. Then wait another 2 weeks. If you do, get one. If you're not feeling it, get something different.

For all the hip hop advertising, remember that you're buying a toyota when you buy a scion. Cars aren't a money making investment, but you won't lose hyundai amounts of money when you buy this car. It'll still run fine in 5 or even 10 years.
my like 92 corolla has been running for 12 years so far lol and its still fine,
but i can't wait till it breaks so i can get my box!
CMON BREAK BREAK BREAK!

Quick Reply: To Box or not to box?