Bunch O' Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Bunch O' Questions!

So I just got my 06 black cherry xB

I have a bunch of questions, and yes, I've searched, so please let me know where I could find the answers, or if you know, please answer them!

1) Better handing WITHOUT lowering. I don't want to lower this car. But I do want to increase the handling, specifically the turn in. In my old Miata, and my Cooper S, the best way was by increasing the sway bars, and adding a front strut bar. Is this the same with the xB?

2) Recommended dealers/brands? Does the site have any favorite vendors? Any favorite brands? Any to avoid?

3) drum brakes = ___. Next spring, I'll be upgrading to a larger set of rims/tires. However, I'll be mortified when people see that I have rear drums. I thought they stopped making rear drums in 1984. They should have. Is there a conversion? I'm not looking for a 'big brake' swap, but even a set of rear disks from another model toyoto would be fine... Oh, and if you have your rear drums painted red or blue or yellow or something, everyone really is laughing at you. Yes, they are.

Thanks guys! I'll check back in a bit! I'm gonna go drive around, for no reason!

4) Which intake gets the most HP gains? hahahhaha.. Just kidding.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

1) I'd suggest starting with the Progress or Whiteline Rear Sway Bar. I've got the Progress but have also heard good things about the Whiteline.

2) Click on the advertising Link at the top to see a list of current SL sponsors. As for favorites, it kinda depends on the part you're looking for. Check out www.thescioncentral.com

Brands to avoid - TRD. hehehe

3) Try not to think about it. The only rear disc conversion I've seen took a lot of fabbing and in the end was left without an e-brake, IIRC.

Just paint your drum to look like a disc...
Old 10-18-2005, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. Comparing a Miata or MiniCooper to an xB is like comparing Ferrari or Mercedes to Kia. Stiffen the car up with some Cusco bits and hope for the best.

2. I stick with Japanese parts... Cusco, Tanabe, Blitz, etc. Never have a problem with them. As far as TRD goes, their American offerings are kinda crappy... no complaints with their shifter though.

3. Drum brakes are the ___, but seriously, they suit this car just fine. You won't ever drive it hard enough to overpower the rear drums. Your best bet is to just paint them black... or whatever color you like. Black will draw the least attention.