Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Can the key fob be reprogrammed

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Can the key fob be reprogrammed

I posted this in an other area and heard nothing but "crickets". Thought I would post on the front page for more eyes to see.

Hello, just picked up my SRP this morning. Me likes!!! I have a question.
Can the key fob be programmed to beep the horn as while as flash the lights when the doors lock?
Old 10-14-2006, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member

call the dealer,i was hoping to hear response myself,but they may not know a whole lot about that either,good luck
Old 10-14-2006, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by mavila66
call the dealer,i was hoping to hear response myself,but they may not know a whole lot about that either,good luck
I did, they opened the manual and read about the key fob (after I said there was nothing in there about it) and then said it can't be done. I do not believe that. Where are all of the geniuses on the forum? The panic button when activated sounds the horn and flashes the lights why can't the door lock button be programmed to operate both?
Old 10-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I have tried to do the same, and have looked extensively... no luck.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not sure what car you have. But according to my Service Manuals for xB, beeping horn and flashing headlights can only be activated by hitting the PANIC button. It cannot be programed for what you asking.

BTW, why in the world would you want that? I hate people who have cars that do this and they use it at 3am! Or at any time for that matter. Very annoying. I'm glad that xB doesn't have that "feature". One less annoying car out there.

My friend has a Mitsubshi Outlander which had that feature enabled when she bought it new. We had the dealer disable the damn horn first thing.

What is wrong with a nice silent activation and only the directionals flashing?! No headlight shining into somebody's bedroom.

Sorry for the rant but the beeping cars PI$$ me off!
Old 10-15-2006, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have been wondering the same thing for my tC. and to the posts above, its not necesserily a honk...its kind of like a high pitched beep. really not that annoying. i know that the toyota cars can be programmed like this, so i dont see why they would make it different in the scions.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm with Peteski - please do us all a favor...
Old 10-16-2006, 06:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Danger_Darren
i have been wondering the same thing for my tC. and to the posts above, its not necesserily a honk...its kind of like a high pitched beep. really not that annoying. i know that the toyota cars can be programmed like this, so i dont see why they would make it different in the scions.
Probably because Scion is a low end Toyota and the only built-in beeper is in the dash for seatbelt warning, etc.

The headlights and horn are both wired up to the keyless entry computer via relays. But AFAIK, the only way to make it toot would be to break into the computer's firmware and crack and rewrite the code. I don't even know if the code is stored in a regular ROM or a Flash PROM.

Or if you were electrically inclined, you could wire up a 12V piezo beeper to the flasher relay's coil circuit (parallel with the coil).

Not really worth the trouble just to hear a noise. Especailly that you can pretty much see the flashing hazard lights from anywhere around the car. And if you can't see them, just lock the car using the
"lock" switch in the front door as your're exiting the car. No remote needed.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by peteski
Originally Posted by Danger_Darren
Probably because Scion is a low end Toyota and the only built-in beeper is in the dash for seatbelt warning, etc.

The headlights and horn are both wired up to the keyless entry computer via relays. But AFAIK, the only way to make it toot would be to break into the computer's firmware and crack and rewrite the code. I don't even know if the code is stored in a regular ROM or a Flash PROM.

Or if you were electrically inclined, you could wire up a 12V piezo beeper to the flasher relay's coil circuit (parallel with the coil).

Not really worth the trouble just to hear a noise. Especailly that you can pretty much see the flashing hazard lights from anywhere around the car. And if you can't see them, just lock the car using the
"lock" switch in the front door as your're exiting the car. No remote needed.
The panic button toots and flashes thought that the lock button could be programmed to do the same.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Can the key fob be reprogrammed

Originally Posted by mdell
Can the key fob be programmed to beep the horn as while as flash the lights when the doors lock?
My xB came with an audible indication of the doors locking and unlocking . . . and I bet yours did too!

It's very subtle, which means no one will be offended at the noise.

When I lock the doors I hear a quiet <FLUMP> and when I unlock them I hear a quiet <FLIMP> . . . .

I like that a LOT better than the horn noise I used to hear when I operated the locks on my Grand Caravan!
Old 10-22-2006, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

mine flash and beep when I arm and disarm it.Personally I hate it I wish it would shut the hell up.I hate when people turn and look at me all the time like who the hell is doing that.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

anyone had problems with their keyless entry unlocking everything but the driver's door?
Old 10-22-2006, 11:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by MeanGreen244
mine flash and beep when I arm and disarm it.Personally I hate it I wish it would shut the hell up.I hate when people turn and look at me all the time like who the hell is doing that.

Do you have a XB?

Did it come that way??

If not how did you progam it to beep and flash???
Old 10-22-2006, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Apparently not, praise be to Toyota...

Living in an urban neighborhood, I've come to detest audible horn honk locking and overly touchy obnoxious car alarms.

One of my former neighbors had such an alarm- it was always going nuts for no reason. I started calling the cops, told 'em maybe somebody was breaking into the car... After a few episodes of being awakened by the police at 3AM, the moron finally got the point...

Another fave is the dimwits whose landbarges flash and beep when unlocked- between 1 and 2 AM, when they're headed home from the bar down the street, half in the bag... whoopin' and hollerin' as they pile in right under my bedroom window... the horn honk lets me know they're comin', right?

I know I'm not the center of the universe- too bad not everybody else knows the same thing...
Old 10-23-2006, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I do have an XB
I guess it's an upgraded system cuz mine has a blue light that flashes when it's armed,my friend has an XB and he doesnt have a blue flashing light.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like you have an aftermarket alarm installed. I'm pretty sure that it can be configured to enable or disable the audiable confirmation. You just need to read up on it in the manual. Or have that done at the place where it was installed.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:29 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Note that MeanGreen has an RS3, which has a different 'factory' alarm system than any other xB... It was one of the special features of that release. He should have the owner's guide for that system, and if he doesn't he should beat on sombody at the dealership until they cough one up...

Tomas
Old 10-23-2006, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess for some people, a beeping sound (not neccesary the horn) helps idicates that the vehicle is armed. Does anybody here the beeps sound from a Lexus? I would like to have that kind of beep sound since it's not that loud and it does not sound annoying as the horn or other aftermarket alarms.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

What I don't understand is how the flashing headlights bother people. Who cares what time it is? I don't know about everybody else but I can't see when I'm sleep. The horn would help some out. Then again all you need to know is one think if it flashes at all its locked, if it dosent a door is "ajar" and you need to close it tight.