Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Cheap Mods for the xB..

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BurxBox
For $18 i debadged and stuck on a Benz emblem.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would like to know where you got those grille inserts at.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:38 PM

I did all the stock gray inside (pillars,headliner,visors,ect..)in black.It only costs around 40$ and it came out really good.The paint is called Dupli- Color fabric and vinal dye.pull out the pillars ini the back and front.unscrew the seatbelts to get the others off.there are 4 pins on the top of the back headliner.pull those out.take off the visors and the handles above the windows and the rear view mirror. next pill the rubber peices out just a little so the head liner peice will come free.after ur head liner is free pull it out of the hatch.I used 7 cans of this paint with 2 to 3 coats of it. take ur time on the head liner and do a couple of coats and let it dry and repeat.Do this on a sunny hott non windy day.Let everything dry for a few hours and make sure all the angles are complete.Then reverse the process of taking it out to put it back in.Let me know if u need any more details.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds nice butts.....do you have some pics?
Old 04-16-2007, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I think about mods, I think about what I can spend that will cost the least but give me the MOST output/satisfaction/etc.

So this is my list.

LEDs in the cupholders - www.oznium.com
- Like $3 worth of LEDs, and maybe 20-30 minutes and the results are a nice alternative to the dealers' $300 option.

Cathodes
- Again, from oznium, screw the $300 dealer option. With like $14 bucks (2 sets of cathodes) you can have some nice lighting effects in your box!

Carputer/Computer setup
- With an old computer (celeron / pentium 3, etc) you can put a computer in your scion xB and use it for navigation, music and movies. You can get a touch screen 8" screen from ebay for like $200. Couple that with your old PC, laptop with a broken screen or whatever you chose - and you will have navigation, movies and music at your finger tips! a couple hunder dollar investment but the output is really well worth it. It's a great feeling to have 5,000+ songs at your fingertips! and navigation!

All the mods above are nice but the carputer/computer mod, in my opinion, is the mod that has brought me the best results. I am constantly going to new places along the east coast and the navigation has been a life saver! forget printed out maps, forget a $500 stand-alone garmin gps units - a computer in your car gives you so much more functionality with very little investment of $.

IMO,
- sh00k
Old 04-16-2007, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would like to see some pics of the Cherry wood mods. I am a wood butcher at heart and this has crossed my mind to put some custom wood in the xB!!
Old 04-16-2007, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

midtowndesi that sounds sweet using a computer....can you post a how to or PM with any advice on doing this? I work with computers all day and can possibly get my hands on some old laptops for cheap that might not be the best.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^hey badbasic... sent you a p.m. about those xA grille inserts...
Old 04-16-2007, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by StarSk8er_00
midtowndesi that sounds sweet using a computer....can you post a how to or PM with any advice on doing this? I work with computers all day and can possibly get my hands on some old laptops for cheap that might not be the best.
click the link in my signature to see my setup. im using a touch screen laptop which is on the "more expensive end" of the mod scale but you can do exactly what im doing much cheaper. also visit www.mp3car.com to see other peoples setups. go to the 'show off your projects' section.

with the scion it's a piece of cake with the "aux port" next to the e-brake. all you need to do is get a stero-to-stero cable ($5) and connect it from the sound card on the computer/laptop to the aux port. that's it! all ur navigation instructions, movies and music audio will now come through all the speakers in the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tons of people on mp3car.com are using laptops with broken screens as their computers and outputting it to an 7" or 8" touch screen you get get from ebay for like $200.
- sh00k
Old 04-16-2007, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VdubbsXB
I would like to see some pics of the Cherry wood mods. I am a wood butcher at heart and this has crossed my mind to put some custom wood in the xB!!
No pics, and I tried to do ascii art of the ****, but that didn't come out very well ;^)

The pieces I did weren't too difficult:

The **** is just a cylinder slightly smaller diameter than the opening around the stock **** and slightly longer than the stock **** and with straight sides and a hole in one end that the stock **** fits into. I epoxied it on to make sure it wouldn't fall off.

The armrest extension is slightly wider and longer than the armrest top, an inch thick, and with rounded edges all around and a curve on the front that matches the armrest. I held it onto the armrest with screws from the underside.

After sanding to about 220 grit, I finished both pieces with Minwax gloss rubbing poly. They've made it through last summer and this winter still looking good, and if (when) the finish deteriorates it will be easy to replenish it with more rubbing poly . . . . .
Old 04-17-2007, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

StarSk8er_00 Posted: 4/16/07 6:50AM Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bad basic I really like those mods where did you get the intake ports from?

U cant laugh! they r sink drains.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by badbasic
StarSk8er_00 Posted: 4/16/07 6:50AM Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bad basic I really like those mods where did you get the intake ports from?

U cant laugh! they r sink drains.
How did you connect those to the intake?
Old 04-17-2007, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im thinking of getting a "JDM Broadway" mirror. They are like $20.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by midtowndesi
When I think about mods, I think about what I can spend that will cost the least but give me the MOST output/satisfaction/etc.

So this is my list.

- Like $3 worth of LEDs, and maybe 20-30 minutes and the results are a nice alternative to the dealers' $300 option.

Cathodes
- Again, from oznium, screw the $300 dealer option. With like $14 bucks (2 sets of cathodes) you can have some nice lighting effects in your box!

Carputer/Computer setup
- With an old computer (celeron / pentium 3, etc) you can put a computer in your scion xB and use it for navigation, music and movies. You can get a touch screen 8" screen from ebay for like $200. Couple that with your old PC, laptop with a broken screen or whatever you chose - and you will have navigation, movies and music at your finger tips! a couple hunder dollar investment but the output is really well worth it. It's a great feeling to have 5,000+ songs at your fingertips! and navigation!

All the mods above are nice but the carputer/computer mod, in my opinion, is the mod that has brought me the best results. I am constantly going to new places along the east coast and the navigation has been a life saver! forget printed out maps, forget a $500 stand-alone garmin gps units - a computer in your car gives you so much more functionality with very little investment of $.

IMO,
- sh00k
The cupholder LEDs may be cheaper than the dealer ones but how hard is it to install and make them look clean as the dealer installeds? I know nothing about auto electronics so I don't know how they connect to a power supply or where the LEDs would go so you don't see the bulbs or wires or anything.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by L4rry_B1rd
Im thinking of getting a "JDM Broadway" mirror. They are like $20.
I'd like to find a mirror with maplights but the only ones I've found were over $100. And that just seems like an awful lot for a mirror...
Old 04-17-2007, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

less than $15 for these intake ports

less than $20 for grille inserts

$5 for vinyl overlays for shock struts

less than $25 for dupont metalcast paint for engine covers and wireloom

Can you site a source on these? I think we've got quite a few people who like what they see.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SecretAgentMonkey
Originally Posted by midtowndesi

So this is my list.

Cathodes

Carputer/Computer setup

IMO,
- sh00k
The cupholder LEDs may be cheaper than the dealer ones but how hard is it to install and make them look clean as the dealer installeds? I know nothing about auto electronics so I don't know how they connect to a power supply or where the LEDs would go so you don't see the bulbs or wires or anything.
Greetings monkey.

I have info on my lighting install here: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...137&highlight=

You take a look and let me know if it looks professional or not ;]
- sh00k
Old 04-17-2007, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

less than $15 for these intake ports

less than $20 for grille inserts

$5 for vinyl overlays for shock struts

less than $25 for dupont metalcast paint for engine covers and wireloom

Questions?????
What is that sweet grill? Is that an xa grill? If so how much modding did it take?
The ports... Where did you get them? Engine cover paint... did you just have to Sand prime and paint???
Old 04-17-2007, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, some really useful ideas on this thread!
Old 04-17-2007, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

bB emblems, remove door pillar tape (ohh nvmd, you have a BSP) sylvania silverstar turn signal bulbs(only like 10 bucks).

Quick Reply: Cheap Mods for the xB..