Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Coming Back, Need Some Advice From The Pros!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default Coming Back, Need Some Advice From The Pros!!!

Greetings box lovers everywhere!!!

Wow it's been a long time since I've been on these boards. I bought an RS1 xB back in March of 2004, and ended up making the biggest mistake of my life in trading it in for an '06 Mazda 5 in April of 2006. I quickly grew tired of the mini-van soccer dad life and just cashed in the Mazda back in December of last year. The '08 FJ Cruiser I have right now just isn't making me happy. I've taken it wheeling a few times, but it's just not me. So, my brother is taking over my payments next month, and I've begun my search for a used 1st Gen box :D

I have two prospects lined up already, and I would love some advice on if the deals are any good for what I would be getting. I would also like some info on what's been happening to the xB from '04-now concerning any mechanical issues that a large number of owners may have experienced. Again, the last time I owned a box, we were only angry about replacing windshields and fixing the buzzing in the dash

1. '04 RS1 Xb...80,900 Miles
Warranty/Certified- Yes 12k or 12mos. Non-Toyota dealership
Dealer Sticker- $10,995.
Dealer Currently Offering Me- $9,075
Test Drive Taken- Yes, drove like it was brand new, just like I remember my old Lava did. It jumped right up to that 80mph sweet spot with ease on the freeway.
Vehicle Info: 5AT, stock with steelies and hubs except for the OEM tails replaced with TYC. The rear wiper has been removed and a body colored plug has been installed, and it's missing one of the lower front lip corner grille inserts. Other than those two things, the interior and exterior are as perfect and close to new as it gets. It looks flawless. Everything under the hood looks and sounds new as well. The previous owner definitely kept it washed and waxed regularly. It also has a completely spotless Carfax report that the dealership has already provided to me, along with all of the service records showing everything is up to date including the 15k, 30k & 60k recommended maintenance.

2. '06 Salsa Red xB...29,300 Miles
Warranty/Certified- No sold as is Non-Toyota dealership
Dealer Sticker- $12,999
Dealer Currently Offering Me- $11,910
Test Drive Taken- Not yet
Vehicle Info: 5MT stock with OEM seven spoke alloys and tires. Only other add ons are the OEM rear spoiler and OEM fogs. Flawless fit and finish inside and out without any signs of wear whatsoever. Spotless Carfax report and up to date service records have been provided. 30k recommended maintenance has not yet been done, also no records indicating the 15k service done either. However, oil changes are accounted for every 3,000 - 3,500 miles (including tire rotation every other service visit) and the air filter has been replaced once.

I would really love to get into another Lava box (I love that color), but having a newer model with a lot less miles is a plus too. I can definitely see myself in a red box as well. I think Salsa Red was a perfect replacement for BCP...So please feel free to chime in and let me know what you might do in my situation. Oh yeah almost forgot to mention. I won't be financing or leasing, it will be a straight purchase.

Thanks everyone!!! It feels really good to be coming back home after some time away :D

DAN
Old 03-07-2008, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

best of luck getting another box! welcome home :-)
Old 03-07-2008, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm no "pro", but I bought an Salsa Red 5 speed last June w/ 25k miles on it, and I'd say you have a good price and a great car with some nice extras (wheels & spoiler). I'd go for it for the miles and price. It's going to last a long time. Take that baby out for a test drive! You won't regret it.

Cheers,
Old 03-07-2008, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SRP all the way. you'd be getting 1/3 of the miles with the same amount of fun and better equipment.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Banned
SL Member

As an owner of a RS1 you know my choice. I would throw down 8K on the desk and ask for the keys. No one has extra money right now, and your sale may put food on the salesmans table. Its worth a shot, but be prepared to walk if your not set on the 9K price tag. Not to mention your buying an orgignal 04 Hot Lava Box. If it sounds like its running right and passes your local mechanics inspection, buy it. Your are already kicking yourself for selling the first RS1 ... dont kick yourself again.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by CBSIMONSEZ
As an owner of a RS1 you know my choice. I would throw down 8K on the desk and ask for the keys. No one has extra money right now, and your sale may put food on the salesmans table. Its worth a shot, but be prepared to walk if your not set on the 9K price tag. Not to mention your buying an orgignal 04 Hot Lava Box. If it sounds like its running right and passes your local mechanics inspection, buy it. Your are already kicking yourself for selling the first RS1 ... dont kick yourself again.
Sounds like a good reason to relive the RS1. Go 4 it and don't look back. Welcome home.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:06 AM
SL Member

go for the RS1... i looked for months and could not find one. 80k is nothin! good luck and welcome home
Old 03-13-2008, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I always look for RS1s on auto trader just for kicks. I still wish I had gotten one in the beginning.
RS1 FTW plus it is made by Toyota. No Worries!
Old 03-13-2008, 09:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Thanks for the inspiration fellas!!! I'm getting really excited because the end of the month is coming, and my brother will be taking over my FJ.

Oh I did go for a test drive in the SRP box a couple days ago. It drove really nice, and I really liked the manual over the auto. I stood and stared at it for a few minutes in the bright sun, and just couldn't help but wish it was an orange box I was looking at instead. The red is gorgeous, but I confess, I'm hopelessly in love with the RS1. The sales manager who is in charge of said RS1 has contacted me recently and agreed to drop the price down even lower. He has accepted the $8,000 offer I gave him (thanks for the heads up CBSIMONSEZ that seemed like a great counter :D

I gave them a thousand dollar deposit in good faith to hold it for me and I'll be taking delivery when I head down to SoCal on the 27th :D

It really feels good to be coming home. And unlike my last RS1, I plan on modding this one a bit. 17" Wheels and tires for sure, carbon fiber engine cover, K&N Typhoon intake, exhaust (still uncertain which one.....any advice???), and that awesome looking indiglo ODO replacement.

I also want to look into adding the Webasto sliding canvas roof or an OEM style moonroof. Has anyone installed one of these? How is the quality?
Old 03-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Banned
SL Member

Just some pics to wet your appitite.

insert wheels here

nothin says lovin like the very first RS Scion made

Old 03-13-2008, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Take the Salsa Red, it's more money but it has WAAY less milage. Plus they're offering you more money for. Plus MT > AT.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:05 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by 7red7
... but I confess, I'm hopelessly in love with the RS1. The sales manager who is in charge of said RS1 has contacted me recently and agreed to drop the price down even lower. He has accepted the $8,000 offer I gave him (thanks for the heads up CBSIMONSEZ that seemed like a great counter :D
Wait, i was right, again? ROFLMAO Im glad to see it worked out for you. Now just keep a close eye on the box and make sure they dont sell it out from under you. If its sitting on thier lot, its taking up space that another car could be using for them to sell. I would call them everyday and make sure they didnt sell it.

It really feels good to be coming home. And unlike my last RS1, I plan on modding this one a bit. 17" Wheels and tires for sure, carbon fiber engine cover, K&N Typhoon intake, exhaust (still uncertain which one.....any advice???), and that awesome looking indiglo ODO replacement.
I would go with the Borla axle back. Not too terribly expensive, and sounds great. 17s, i would look at places like wheelmax.com. Thats where i bought mine last year, and it was a great price back then. Like i said, prices on everything are going to be going down cause the common man cant afford to buy things right now. Take advantage of it. Also, look here under the classifieds section. I would also go with the Injen short ram intake if you can find it. Filter sits behind the drivers headlight. Do all your shopping here under the classifieds and save a buck or two.

I also want to look into adding the Webasto sliding canvas roof or an OEM style moonroof. Has anyone installed one of these? How is the quality?
There is one of our team members who lives in MD who did hiw own. Im not sure if it was a Webasto .. but the fold back sun roof took up almost the entire roof itself, and looked really sharp. There used to be a DYI on DYI.com where they added a canvas sunroof to a PW box.

In any event, glad to see your getting back to your roots. Good Luck.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Personally I would make them move it to a more safe secure spot untill you can finish the purchase. There is no reason it should be out on the lot for someone to mess with or possibly test drive. It's sold!
Old 03-14-2008, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

nice choice I love the rs 1.0
Old 03-14-2008, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Oh it's safe (or so I've been told). I was told that they are going to be keeping it in their storage lot up the street from the actual showroom floor :D
Old 03-14-2008, 08:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

^^^GOOD to hear that. Gotta keep that RS! safe.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would not pass on a RS xB of any color if I had the money. And hot lava it prob the best color on one. Welcome back, and if you get board again with this one just mod it and keep going!
Old 03-16-2008, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd pass on the RS, as I seem to make decisions based on color rather than features, and I've never been a fan of the RS colors (including the new gold). And, I love the Salsa Red on an xB. Plus, it's less miles.

Even though the dealer isn't a Toyota dealer, they should be able to offer a third party warranty. You might want to push for that in your negotiations--I would.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide!
Old 03-17-2008, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

The sales manager called me today and told me they just got in a 2005 BCP Automatic with 41,222 miles on it. The pics he sent me show it has TYC tails, 17" Axis wheels wrapped in 40 series tires, OEM Fog lights, OEM rear spoiler, OEM rear bumper applique, and full front billit grilles. $10,000 is my current quote given.

I plan on going over there to take a look at it tomorrow. I just might be putting my deposit down on that one instead. What do you guys think??? I know I really want a lava box again, but for about the same price, less miles, and all of those extras already on it???

The SRP box has sold already, so the BCP is my new front runner with the lava...Here are a couple of pics the sales manager emailed me...You guys help me out...Which one would you choose in my situation???

Old 03-17-2008, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

RS are rarer but I love a bcp box and it has some extras might be a deal

Quick Reply: Coming Back, Need Some Advice From The Pros!!!