Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Considering buying Scion xB. Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 11:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by OldYeller
... They, in theory, give more air and/or cold air to your engine. ...You would expect to gain a couple of horse power and get a little more sound out of the engine...
Pro: They give a few more HP in hot weather. Instead of taking in very hot air from under the hood, they take in 100 degree air from behind the left fog iight.

Con: They cost around $250 self-installed, which not everyone can do, or $400 dealer-installed. They increase engine noise, which not everyone likes. Some models can admit water to the engine if water is splashed into them by driving in shallow water or puddles, causing engine damage. They can encourage you to drive harder, which reduces mpg. For all this, they add maybe 2 hp, while adding 5 hp can be done at any time by using premium gas.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jhhnn
The single most worthwhile option on an xB is the TRD rear swaybar...
I would say the sway bar is the second most worthwhile mod. The first would be to change the KYB rear shocks to SensaTracs (made by Tenneco and sold by NAPA and Monroe).
Not everyone drives hard enough to enjoy the cornering improvement from the sway bar, but everyone will appreciate the better ride from the rear shocks.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

xb = hapiness
Old 07-16-2006, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"Every accessory installation except the spoiler is cake."

The spoiler was one of myfirst mods that I installed. Take your brand new XB and drill1/2" holes in the rear hatch. I did it, but I must of measured it 20 times before I drilled. Have it done.

It's sounds like you should probably pass on thr air intake as you are just a casual driver. Even an auto car wash with a good underbody spray or wheel cleaner can potentially spray water on the exposed filter, possibly entering the motor. They are a good HP mod, but you have to be aware that they are there.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The OEM approved CIA will not allow water int the intake unless the water is approxamitly level with the hod that is what that little greet foam ring is for, if the filter is under water air is puled through the ring bypassing the filter. Secondly in order for an aftermarket intake with no bypass to suck up water the filter needs to be completly submerged it takes to much pressure to draw water when there is still air available (think hole in a straw).
Old 07-16-2006, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi everyone! I myself am looking into replacing my F150 Supercrew with an xB. I wanted one when they were just a concept car, but wound up with a new car less then a month before they released. Anyway, mainly looking to get into something that gets better then 14mpg. For some reason around here (Indianapolis), I see used Scions listed at $19500 with 20000 or so miles on them. Seems ludicrous that I can price one on Scion.com with the 18" wheels and a few other options and be quoted in the $17k range, but local dealer are charging outrageous prices on used. Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and hopefully soon I will be a new Scion owner!
Old 07-16-2006, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOOH good to know what i can get for the box if i ever decided to trade in or sell (NEVER GONNA HAPPEN) but think about it logicly the are talkdownable numbers just gotta haggle. as for the original post-er. I convinced my dad to get me mine and now HE wants one... I LOVE my XB!
Old 07-16-2006, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member

My one piece of advice:

Dont let the dealership install the front License Plate!!!

They screw it right into the bumper. Get an aftermarket plate bracket.

I found out too late!!

-D
Old 07-16-2006, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

O.K., I did say possibly!!
Old 07-16-2006, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default new xb

Regarding installing cold air intake vs the dealer doing it..... Remember its under warranty if the dealer does it. Also I have heard from several people who installed theit own that have had problems with the MAF but maybe thats just coincidence???

Also some sales people who sell these things actually do know something about them

Tom
Old 07-16-2006, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also some sales people who sell these things actually do know something about them
Old 07-17-2006, 04:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

heads up on spoiler, the whole idea of owning a scion is so that the owner can be involved with the mods. I installed my spoiler myself, wich was way cool!!!! First thers the the drill bit, you can buy a stepper bit at home depot.,, ( a bit with different sizes), next the spoiler comes with a template, with a grease marker ( china marker ) trace the template on the rear door, With a punch mark the center of the whole thats on the template where the cut out marks, very patiently use youre drill with bit; drill the whole, untill the appropiate size, keep checking witht the grommets that come with spoiler, so... that you dont make the whole to big,,, NOTE .. very important never leave bear metal alone because it will rust, paint the bear metal part with touch up paint, leave to dry completely, Now go ahead and put youre spoiler on, it snap rith on and there you are , you just customised youre own ride, give yourself a thumbs up.. yay...
Old 07-17-2006, 06:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

my advice is JUST BUY A BOX and you won't regret it
Old 07-17-2006, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by theanomalousD
My one piece of advice:

Dont let the dealership install the front License Plate!!!

They screw it right into the bumper. Get an aftermarket plate bracket.

I found out too late!!

-D
ditto

two big holes in the front bumper... not so great when your in a state that doesnt require having a front license plate
Old 07-22-2006, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member

Luckily, no front plates needed here in MI!!!
Old 07-22-2006, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by stovepipejones
Luckily, no front plates needed here in MI!!!
That didn't stop them from drilling my bumper...

I need to find something cheap I can use to fill that hole... maybe a black plasic plug I could find at lowes or somthing....

hm,m......
Old 07-22-2006, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member

If you're in or around Salem, New Hampshire - shop at Rockingham Toyopta Scion.

I just bought release 3.0 - the "Envy Green" Scion xB. It has terrific mileage (36 mpg has been my experience after four tanks of gas).

The interior room is ridiculously opulent. Handling is way beyond what anyone could repsonsibly ask a car to do. It sits on the road like a cat with sticky feet - and corners like a demon.

Release 3.0 is worth it - it's fun and if you're an old guy like me, you'll get a kick out of the "mid-life" crisis quirks about the car. Everyone who sees it parked asks me about it.

If you are looking for economy of purchase, mileage efficiency, interior room - there is literally no other choice for you.

- Dave
Old 07-22-2006, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

advice: make sure you get glass coverage
Old 07-22-2006, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member

Is Release 3.0 the latest version of the Scion, an add-on or what? Pardon the ignorance, but I haven't heard the term before.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"For all this, they add maybe 2 hp, while adding 5 hp can be done at any time by using premium gas."

I have never heard that premium gas provides increased horse power. Everything
I have read indicates that if your car doesn't require premium and isn't knocking, there is absolutely no benefit to premium gas. If a premium gas has additional additives, that might be different, but stations like Shell, Exxon, Chevron, etc. have additives in all of their grades of fuel.

Although I do agree that the consensus on the CAI seems to be that it provides only a small HP increase and probably isn't worth it for alot of people.

Quick Reply: Considering buying Scion xB. Any advice?