Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Couple things on the [xB] winshield [bugs and cracks]

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 02:06 AM
5 Year Member

Default Couple things on the [xB] winshield [bugs and cracks]

First off, anyone else notice it's a bug magnet? I swear, it's almost like they think its a most respectable place to die.

Secondly, I've heard people having problems with cracks over little things, suggesting that they're not the most high quality. Well, I hit a friggin turkey today, the sucker jumped almost three feet high and rolled off the winshield in a sea of feathers and tenderized butterball. I was going 60 mph, there wasn't a scratch on the hood, not a crack in the winshield (minus a few loose feathers), not a scratch over the top.

Scion 1, Wildlife 0
Old 07-29-2004, 06:26 AM
5 Year Member

whoally crap, a turkey???? And it didnt break the windsheild??? Thats crazy, what are the odds of that??? Whatch out for those falling blocks of cheese though, you might not be so lucky next time!!! hehe jk
Old 07-29-2004, 06:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its funny you mention hitting a turkey- my sister hit one in her corolla last month!

As for the windshield being a bug magnet- Hello! look at the angle of it- nearly 90 degrees!!j/k- I wipe off my windshield off twice daily!!
Old 07-29-2004, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member

haha, ive hit the following-
3 birds
about a billion bugs
and i ran over a all terrain truck tire!

tire ripped the rear bumper off on one side and and pushed in the front bumper! but i fixed that

hay rob- at least you dont have a WHITE xB...lol
Old 07-29-2004, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

My windshield looks like crap. Tons of little nicks, and yes it is also a bug magnet, just like the rest of the front of the car. oh Well, still love mey lava
Old 08-01-2004, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member

Haha good point about the color...

I made a mistake though, there's a pretty big dent in my hood that went unnoticed, but it should be covered by the warranty, so no worries there. Thats probably the only reason why it didn't break the winshield...
Old 08-02-2004, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Warranty coverage........................for a dent in your hood? Please explain.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

How the heck did you hit a turkey? Please tell me it wasn't in Waterford. Never knew there were turkeys over there.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default lol

you hit a turkey with your xb!!!!! thats magic>
yeh xbs make great bug blockers for xas like me.
they can take lead any time!
peace tjd!
Old 08-03-2004, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Couple things on the [xB] winshield [bugs and cracks]

Originally Posted by rob_92183
First off, anyone else notice it's a bug magnet? I swear, it's almost like they think its a most respectable place to die.

Secondly, I've heard people having problems with cracks over little things, suggesting that they're not the most high quality. Well, I hit a friggin turkey today, the sucker jumped almost three feet high and rolled off the winshield in a sea of feathers and tenderized butterball. I was going 60 mph, there wasn't a scratch on the hood, not a crack in the winshield (minus a few loose feathers), not a scratch over the top.
The windshield is relatively upright and not too far above the ground where the bugs live, so it does tend to collect a lot. If you're used to the original VW beetles you won't notice much difference!

As far a cracks go, I haven't got anything major yet, but the windshield seems to collect a lot of minute scratches that show when driving into the sun. Our xB is only a year old and the windshield has about the same scratching as my 30-year-old VWs with original glass.

Toyota seems to use very soft glass in the outer layer of their laminated windshields. Someone on the forum stated that they installed a Safelight replacement windshield at half the cost of the Toyota part and the glass was more scratch-resistant than the Toyota glass.

As far as hitting the turkey, the chances of damaging the glass depends upon the sharpness and density of the thing you hit. Turkeys are round and well-padded, so the stress was spread over a larger area of the windshield. A rock of equal weight would have gone through the glass!

George
Old 08-04-2004, 04:11 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Garry
Warranty coverage........................for a dent in your hood? Please explain.
My bad, I meant insurance policy. I was in a hurry. Depending on how long it takes anyways, it might just be easier to pay it outright if it doesn't cover the deductible or do it myself.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most people don't realize how hard it is to puncture a windshield - Its two pieces of glass with plastic in between. Bricks at 60 will go through but even relatively large rocks (Rocks that can be thrown up by tires) are usually deflected at speed. However, cracking the glass is all to easy.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I can see the windsheild not cracking for the turkey.

Your're just lucky you didn't hit some stuffing, cranberries, or candied yams. You'd really be sorry then!

Joe
Scinergy IA
Old 08-06-2004, 02:22 AM
ArlingtonScionmatt

factory specs ......36 month 60 k miles specs,,,,,, turcky rocks other animals ...not in factory specs.....wow hit a moose sorry hit a building sorry...

Old 08-07-2004, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got a white xb too, bugs all over the thing. i priced a clear bra for it and the place here wants 570. so thatll have to wait. ill just need to get use to cleanign the front end all the time.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LeetXB
Most people don't realize how hard it is to puncture a windshield - Its two pieces of glass with plastic in between. Bricks at 60 will go through but even relatively large rocks (Rocks that can be thrown up by tires) are usually deflected at speed. However, cracking the glass is all to easy.
Its three pieces of glass not two BTW...Mine got cracked the third day I had it. They replaced it with another brand of windshield and it seems to be holding up pretty fine now.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

.....and when did they start making triple pane laminated glass for cars???? It's two.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by windowtint
.....and when did they start making triple pane laminated glass for cars???? It's two.
Well thats what the glass company told me when they were replacing my windshield.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh, ok... good enough I suppose.

goofy-___ glass guys...