First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Crazy Engine Project!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Crazy Engine Project!

Just thought I'd post about what I've been up to.

I started working on a custom intake for my xA, but put that on hold to see if I can make this project happen.

Since everyone else is working on turbos and superchargers, I decided to develop an Individual Throttle Body setup for my xA.

I'm currently corresponding with a manufacturer that might be interested in doing the project!

Here's a pic of the ITB setup for the S2000:

I'm sending more pics and measurements to the manufacturer this weekend.

-Pete
Old 03-04-2004, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont think there is enough power in the car to have an individual throttle bodies....plus what are you going to use to protect the inlet whens your going full throttle and the throttle plates are fully open?
Old 03-04-2004, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Crazy Engine Project!

Originally Posted by Kodokan_4
Just thought I'd post about what I've been up to.

I started working on a custom intake for my xA, but put that on hold to see if I can make this project happen.

Since everyone else is working on turbos and superchargers, I decided to develop an Individual Throttle Body setup for my xA.

I'm currently corresponding with a manufacturer that might be interested in doing the project!

Here's a pic of the ITB setup for the S2000:

I'm sending more pics and measurements to the manufacturer this weekend.

-Pete
Sweet! If you get one made, call K&N to see if they can fabricate (at their cost) a CAI for it. Talk about throttle response...
Old 03-04-2004, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dinkjs
I dont think there is enough power in the car to have an individual throttle bodies....plus what are you going to use to protect the inlet whens your going full throttle and the throttle plates are fully open?
He can always make a chamber somewhat like a huge intake manifold. Our Chaser has individual TB with a pseudo huge carbon fiber intake manifold and intake duct.

That definitely is going to be huge project Kodokan but good luck with it.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Crazy, not at all, I thought of this several months ago and I am definately not crazy!

Size of the engine has nothing to do with being able to use individual throttle bodies, BUT they must be sized to the engine/powerband. 40mm blades should do nicely....

To use an individual throttle body set up you will need a new computer-there is no way to install a MAF. You can tap all the runners to a MAP or use speed/density programing. Certainly not an insurmountable problem unless you live in CA and want to drive it on the street (leagaly).

As far as keeping the dirt out there are individual air filters, air boxes or just fine screens for the more daring.

You will need much more to take full advantage of such an intake-cams/good header/full exhaust/some port work/more compression would be nice too. Sounds like a rockin' engine for MY Xa after I leave CA. I sure hope the Scion aftermarket gets it together someday....

ken
Old 03-04-2004, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Like others have said, filtering is not a problem. I like the individual sock-type filters that go right over the stacks.

When I said "Crazy" Engine Project- I should have mentioned the cost. That's the crazy part! I haven't got any pricing yet, but ITB setups are expensive, especially when you add in the cost of an AEM EMS, plus installation and tuning.

-Pete
Old 03-04-2004, 06:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WHOA !!! good luck on that .... honestly.... i think you should make it for the xb first :D then the xa ... wait they share the same engine so will it fit for the xb also?
Old 03-04-2004, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cost is definately an issue, individual throttle bodies are available from several mfg and the cost varies so if a mfg made a manifold using the standard Weber IDF mounting patern different mfg throttle bodies could be used.

ken
Old 03-04-2004, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what are the performance gains for something like this on the 1znfe engine? i have seen good results from this mod on other cars, but i have to wonder about doing it on this engine.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The 1NZs are all about breathing! Feed them air, and get it out, and I'm sure you can see some good gains in hp. Pete, saw your post about the tree branch!! That sucks man!! I hope insurance works in your favor there...
What I always thought would be cool in a Scion with ITBs was to just run long ___ air horns sticking OUT the front grille. Sure, it'd look "weird," but I think the bad assedness would make up for that! :)
Old 03-17-2004, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The manufacturer ( http://www.haywardperformance.com/intake.htm ) isn't ready to build an ITB kit for the xA. There are no Scions where the manufacturer is located (Canada), although they do have the Echo.

I'll be contacting some other manufacturers soon.
-Pete
Old 03-17-2004, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by HotBox
WHOA !!! good luck on that .... honestly.... i think you should make it for the xb first :D then the xa ... wait they share the same engine so will it fit for the xb also?
you guys get enough parts first... bout time someone thought of the xa first, lol.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Van, you're a nut! but a nut we don't enough of around here, and the same for you Kodakan..

my question is with the air horn setup how the hell would you prevent detonation? That would be a massive amount of air flow, even with a custom computer, can it handle the massive variability of the air coming in?
Old 03-18-2004, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

seeing as how cars manage to handle 7000hp worth of air, I think handling a 1.5L free breathing engine should be fine.

clearly, something like this would delete the stock mass air sensor, so youd have to use another method, but it is obviously doable, or M5s and M3s wouldn't run =)

Originally Posted by 2fixA
Van, you're a nut! but a nut we don't enough of around here, and the same for you Kodakan..

my question is with the air horn setup how the hell would you prevent detonation? That would be a massive amount of air flow, even with a custom computer, can it handle the massive variability of the air coming in?
Old 03-18-2004, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

now someone is thinking.. damn i really hope this works out for you man,.. theres nothing cooler than a kick ___ car with ITBs, let that baby breathe. now you just need to get a ITG filter.

Old 03-20-2004, 04:43 AM
5 Year Member

looks like a VW engine to me :D
Old 03-20-2004, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it is....like a jetta or rabbit motor from the 80's
Old 03-20-2004, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

*drool* i want itb
Old 03-20-2004, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Jack, no doubt it is doable, I've seen plenty of cars do it... I'm just trying to expand my mind here mang!

I've been working with all sorts of air flow modification designs, but until the most recent one all of them ran into the issue of jamming the engine full of air, which while I know it can be modified to handle it I'm not out to build a full out race car (yet :D)

so any edumacation someone can provide on how cars handle this would be really interesting to me. From what you've alluded to I assume it's all about replacing the stock engine management and no other way about it?
Old 03-20-2004, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Alter Ego
looks like a VW engine to me :D
yep,, a first generation GTi.

Quick Reply: Crazy Engine Project!