First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Cruise Control Installation question..

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

Default Cruise Control Installation question..

Is it hard to install the cruise control in the xB? I saw a couple of kits on eBay, and I've been thinking of getting it but I didn't know how much trouble it is to put it in.

Thank

Steve

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-01-2019 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Year Badge
Old 07-15-2004, 04:38 PM
Banned
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I had the dealer install mine, so I really can't be much help....however the guys at the dealership said it was the longest and hardest install out of everything: foglights, cruise control, spoiler, floor mats.

I wouldn't attempt it.

-Z
Old 07-15-2004, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll let you know. I just bought a cruise control from allscion. If you do a search on cruise control pictures, there's a post with a link to images of the installed unit. I think it's very do-able.

Cheers!
Old 07-15-2004, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

EASY

I did it myself in an afternoon.
Dealerships want your cash.
The dealership I talked to (before my purchase) said it was the easiest cruise they had ever installed.
They were right.

Just make sure you disconnect the battery so you don't blow the fuse when installing.
I got mine from shipped from Raleigh NC for something like $207.00.
Franklin Toyota I think.
They have an ebay store.
Cheapest and Very friendly.
Save cash and do it yourself.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this site needs a diy section. I think it would be really helpful.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Took me 4 hours yesterday to install the cruise control in my xB. It could have been easier in a few of the steps, but all said and done it wasn't that complex, mostly annoying.

The multi pin plugs aren't numbered, so you have to be very, very careful to pay attention to the drawings on the plugs in the instructions. If you get sloppy you could easily pull and tap into the right colored wire but in the wrong plug.

The only disappointing part was the lower steering wheel cover. I don't have a factory manual, but assume that you need to pull the wheel to get the full lower cover off. Without fully pulling the cover, tightening the nut that fastens the control lever is a challenge. I wasn't about to mess with the steering wheel.

It works flawlessly.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Cruise Control Installation question

Originally Posted by dasaint80
is it hard to install the cruise control in the Xb? I saw a couple of kits on Ebay, and I've been thinking of getting it but I didn't know how much trouble it is to put it in.

Thank

Steve
Check out:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...=cruise+rostra

for links to the installation manual.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Dealer installed - good price

The San Marcos, TX dealer sells the cruise control installed for $275. Cruise kits are selling on eBay for $250. Makes no sense to install to save $25. The did a fine job and I'm cruising.

Bargain with the dealer for this price.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default How about the 2005 xB?

Will this cruise control work on the 2005, and would the install be the same? I'm assuming so, but want to know for sure.

I've had my brand new xB for exactly 2 weeks today and I LOVE IT!!!!! I do need the cruise, though, as I drive 40 miles each way on the interstate every day for work. My brother-in-law runs a garage, so I have no doubt he can install. I tried to download the instructions that George mentioned above from the site in that post, but all I get is a 2 page document...no instructions.

Any help would be appreciated...I really need that cruise to make my xB perfect!!!

Thanks,
Catlynh
Old 07-23-2004, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: How about the 2005 xB?

Originally Posted by catlynh
I tried to download the instructions that George mentioned above from the site in that post, but all I get is a 2 page document...no instructions.
Sorry, they used to be there. Try this:

http://www.toyotaparts4u.com/0001679910xAxBCruise.pdf
Old 10-27-2004, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Dealer installed - good price

Originally Posted by james4513
The San Marcos, TX dealer sells the cruise control installed for $275. Cruise kits are selling on eBay for $250. Makes no sense to install to save $25. The did a fine job and I'm cruising.

Bargain with the dealer for this price.
Actually the kits are on ebay for $195 + $10 shipping.

I've printed out the instructions and gone over them today. Doesn't seem like a complex task, but more time consuming. I would like to know how you remove the steering column cover to mount the switch??

Also, connecting the unit to the throttle cable and getting the slack out pretty easy to do?

Other than that I think it should just take a short afternoon to get this done.

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2004, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Authorized Rostra distributors might be a more economical way to go. I went to the Rostra web site and found a reference for authorized Rostra products distributors. Rostra provides a listing of such distributors based on the area of the purchaser. I found that I could find the Rostra Cruise Control for the Scion xA and xB for $187 and shipping less than I found common on ebay. Also one has a company to go back to if there is a problem with the unit.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default B~U~M~P

I would like to know how you remove the steering column cover to mount the switch??

Also, connecting the unit to the throttle cable and getting the slack out pretty easy to do?

Thanks!
Anyone care to answer the Q's above? I will be installing my kit this Thursday. The more I know about this install, the smoother things will go for me

Is there any cutting of wires involved?
Old 12-27-2004, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would like to know how you remove the steering column cover to mount the switch??

Thanks!

I installed my Rostra cruise control this morning. It was pretty straight forward and only took 3hrs to install
To remove the lower steering column cover just remove the three screws and pop it off. Two of the srews are kind of hidden under the steering wheel, just trun the wheel until you can get to them.
I had to remove some slack out of the throttle cable. Just pop out the snap-in adapter and trun it on the threaded rod. I had to do this two or three times to get it right. It was not a problem.
Another tip, instead of trying to find the power wire to tap into (there are hundreds of wires back behind the fuse block all tied in tight bundles) I got an "add-a-circuit" fuse adapter from Auto Zone and used an unused fuse on my fuse block. That was very easy. Highly recomended.
The only scary part was drilling the hole for the cruise control stalk. I guess I made the right choice because it does not interfere with anything and can be seen while I'm driving.
The cruise control works great, I would install it again in a NY minute.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Buy the BEST aftermaket cruise control at **edit**

Please become a site sponsor
https://www.scionlife.com/premium/
Old 02-08-2005, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Cruise Control Power

What wire did you connect for power? I'm having the hardest time understanding the Rostra instructions on where to connect? Help!

Originally Posted by thinkCooper
Took me 4 hours yesterday to install the cruise control in my xB. It could have been easier in a few of the steps, but all said and done it wasn't that complex, mostly annoying.

The multi pin plugs aren't numbered, so you have to be very, very careful to pay attention to the drawings on the plugs in the instructions. If you get sloppy you could easily pull and tap into the right colored wire but in the wrong plug.

The only disappointing part was the lower steering wheel cover. I don't have a factory manual, but assume that you need to pull the wheel to get the full lower cover off. Without fully pulling the cover, tightening the nut that fastens the control lever is a challenge. I wasn't about to mess with the steering wheel.

It works flawlessly.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tip: Buy an "add-a-circuit" from Auto Zone or Advance and plug it into an unused circuit on your fuse block. On my xB I used the empty one above the ACC fuse.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-01-2019 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Year Badge
Old 02-08-2005, 01:29 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

I bought mine of eBay for about 190.00 (Rostra) all together and it took me about 2.5 hours to install it. You might need to know some electronics basics or maybe not.
It is really just common sense and follow instructions step by step. If you have any questions feel free to PM me or anything and I'll try to help you out.

P.S. Not all the pictures in the instruction manual make sense.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-01-2019 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Year Badge
Old 02-08-2005, 02:15 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by cornfield
this site needs a diy section. I think it would be really helpful.
https://www.scionlife.com/tech/
Old 02-17-2005, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Scion life has a tech section, but just no instructions on CC installation. Perhaps everyone thought that the instructions that come with it were pretty clear, and they had nothing to add. I do not have a CC yet, but it is on my list.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Installation question..